Mavric

Nebraska High School Players - Class of 2018

swmohusker    641

Hey, class of 2018 kids from Nebraska!!

Bryson Williams story is about over. And Nebraska fans (myself included) aren't going to be happy...

I'm pretty happy with Maspry.

^^^ This. Masry is the better prospect of the 2 and Iowa will get the consolation prize of Williams. They wanted Masry and lost.

Red Five    3,008

Anyone know anything about Kearney Catholic's Matt Masker? Sam was impressed at FNL

Two quarterbacks — Council Bluffs Lewis Central’s Max Duggan and Kearney Catholic’s Matt Masker — didn’t miss much of a beat.

Masker, a 2018 prospect, is a little shorter than Duggan, but he throws the ball well. He has a fluid motion and throws with pace, before a receiver finishes his break. I know it’s a camp setting, but I’ve watched a lot of in-state quarterbacks throw in recent years — scholarship guys and walk-ons alike. Masker, at least in a camp, threw as well as or better than any of them. In some cases, Masker is well ahead of quarterbacks you’d heard much more about before their senior years. If he doesn’t go FCS, he’s going to walk on at some FBS program and make some coach pretty happy.

Our Super Six is pretty close to set because there are so many FBS scholarship guys in the state. Two of them — Cam Jurgens and Masry Mapieu — are committed to Nebraska already. But Masker, without even an FCS offer to this point, may belong in that top six. If he played Class A in Omaha — say, at Bellevue West or Omaha North — I don’t think there’d be much question about how good he is.

Roger Dorn    48

Anyone know anything about Kearney Catholic's Matt Masker? Sam was impressed at FNL

Two quarterbacks Council Bluffs Lewis Centrals Max Duggan and Kearney Catholics Matt Masker didnt miss much of a beat.

Masker, a 2018 prospect, is a little shorter than Duggan, but he throws the ball well. He has a fluid motion and throws with pace, before a receiver finishes his break. I know its a camp setting, but Ive watched a lot of in-state quarterbacks throw in recent years scholarship guys and walk-ons alike. Masker, at least in a camp, threw as well as or better than any of them. In some cases, Masker is well ahead of quarterbacks youd heard much more about before their senior years. If he doesnt go FCS, hes going to walk on at some FBS program and make some coach pretty happy.

Our Super Six is pretty close to set because there are so many FBS scholarship guys in the state. Two of them Cam Jurgens and Masry Mapieu are committed to Nebraska already. But Masker, without even an FCS offer to this point, may belong in that top six. If he played Class A in Omaha say, at Bellevue West or Omaha North I dont think thered be much question about how good he is.

Can't remember where I heard it but I thought I heard we might try and take this guy as our "QB" in the class as a walk on. Would be pretty happy if that was the case.

Mavric    9,164

That was suggested as a possibility by one of the media guys I think. Not sure if that's what the coaches are working on but would make sense.

Thanks_Tom RR    2,213

Apparently, in a face-to-face conversation, HCMR told Bryson Williams that Nebraska will not be offering him a while ago. Coaches made their evaluation and decision, so Bryson moved on. All good for each side.

BigRedBuster    7,319

Apparently, in a face-to-face conversation, HCMR told Bryson Williams that Nebraska will not be offering him a while ago. Coaches made their evaluation and decision, so Bryson moved on. All good for each side.

Agree.

Good luck to him in every game except against us.

Atbone95    1,150

He's made comments (off the record) that he wants to go to a school that plays and beats Nebraska regularly.

Had a top two of Iowa and Wisconsin.

Good for the kid, can't blame him one bit.

Huskerzoo    330

He's made comments (off the record) that he wants to go to a school that plays and beats Nebraska regularly.

Had a top two of Iowa and Wisconsin.

Good for the kid, can't blame him one bit.

I would have the same chip on my shoulder. I'm glad he ended up at a good program.

jassman24    32

To be completely honest if I were to have an offer from Wisconsin I think it would be a hard offer to pass up even if I wrre to get one from the Huskers.

Nebfanatic    766

To be completely honest if I were to have an offer from Wisconsin I think it would be a hard offer to pass up even if I wrre to get one from the Huskers.

blasphemy!

Snowbird    4

Sad part is he will probably beat us quite a bit in his time at Wisconsin. Good for him. Good enough to play at Wisconsin but not Nebraska? 🤔

Sad part is he will probably beat us quite a bit in his time at Wisconsin. Good for him. Good enough to play at Wisconsin but not Nebraska? 🤔

We need one DT a year and already have one. If we take two it will be a higher caliber player.

wiuhusker    124

As a defensive player or an offensive lineman I completely agree. Outside of that I'm not sure.

Snowbird    4

6"2 is only a number. He will be playing that position at Wisconsin. Iowa, Wisconsin don't get caught up in heights. Best guard in the NFL from iowa is 6"2

GBRFAN    394

Sad part is he will probably beat us quite a bit in his time at Wisconsin. Good for him. Good enough to play at Wisconsin but not Nebraska?

Seems like we have a goal of recruiting similar to OSU and MU not Iowa and Wisc. Yes those two teams have beaten us more then enough however recruiting players at their level doesn't seem to be a wise goal - only a matter of time that these better classes lead to a 2 to 1 W-L ratio over the upper end Big10 West schools..... GBR!!!

Nebfanatic    766

Lol ok! Some fans 🤦🏻‍♂️

lol...ok. some fans! If anything we would pursue Calvin Avery or Michael Thomas or the guy we did sign...Masry! We got the best in state talent at that position, we don't need to take the next guy too just because Wisconsin wants him. Why should we have taken Bryson when we see him at DT and already have one we think is better? And what's with you saying Wisconsin is going to beat us multiple times during his time there? Don't have faith in the staff?

It's either him or Mapieu. People would gripe either way, but I think the coaches handled it very well. How many teams would have strung Williams out just in case?

GBRFAN    394

Lol ok! Some fans ‍♂️

Agree with the above ^

Do NU and Wisc run the same offense? Seems like maybe we would go after guys that fit our mold and they would go after guys that fit theirs?

Mavric    9,164

Lol ok! Some fans ‍♂️

Agree with the above ^

Do NU and Wisc run the same offense? Seems like maybe we would go after guys that fit our mold and they would go after guys that fit theirs?

I guess if we were talking about an offensive player that would make sense.

Snowbird    4

Wisconsin has consistently beat Nebraska? And sometimes beat like a drum? Now we are saying we need to just bypass them in recruiting? To me it's just confusing. I would like to see Nebraska be able to run the football one season like Wisconsin and iowa have the past 2 years.

seaofred92    1,185

how seriously is Moses Bryant on our radar? I re-watched the FNL videos and both him and Zion Perry really impressed me. Those are two guys I'd love to get on campus

Mavric    9,164

I think we're monitoring Bryant. But it sounds like he has quite a bit of work to do in the classroom before he's a legit prospect. I don't think even the Dakota schools have offered yet.

Huskers44    86

I think we're monitoring Bryant. But it sounds like he has quite a bit of work to do in the classroom before he's a legit prospect. I don't think even the Dakota schools have offered yet.

Oh my gosh. If academics are holding you back from playing college ball that's ridiculous. Maybe high schools should make athletes have above a certain GPA not just above 70% something that would get them to qualify in college. Not saying he won't qualify, but it is honestly sad that that is the reason holding great athletes back from free education at great universities.

Oh my gosh. If academics are holding you back from playing college ball that's ridiculous. Maybe high schools should make athletes have above a certain GPA not just above 70% something that would get them to qualify in college. Not saying he won't qualify, but it is honestly sad that that is the reason holding great athletes back from free education at great universities.

Ya. High schools do have academic standards for eligibility. OPS requires at least a 2.5 GPA and no failing status grades to participate in games. If he isn't eligible, he isn't putting in the work to get that way or has an IEP that he is working through. Most of the time, nobody is holding great athletes back except their own effort in the classroom.

Huskers44    86

Ya. High schools do have academic standards for eligibility. OPS requires at least a 2.5 GPA and no failing status grades to participate in games. If he isn't eligible, he isn't putting in the work to get that way or has an IEP that he is working through. Most of the time, nobody is holding great athletes back except their own effort in the classroom.

My Highschool, given it was class D, you just needed to be passing all your classes. Could've had a 70 flat average and been fine. Which I think is fine if it's at the beginning of the semester, but give them a week to get it up and if they don't they are ineligible. Sorry for my rant, but the school system could change a little to force the kids a little more.

My Highschool, given it was class D, you just needed to be passing all your classes. Could've had a 70 flat average and been fine. Which I think is fine if it's at the beginning of the semester, but give them a week to get it up and if they don't they are ineligible. Sorry for my rant, but the school system could change a little to force the kids a little more.

How long ago where you in high school, I'm just wondering if it has changed more recently.