Spring Position Battles - Running Backs

Mavric

Who emerges at running back?: There will be a healthy competition at the spot, but it’s hard to tell if the Huskers have an elite player here — an Ameer Abdullah or Rex Burkhead or Roy Helu. Terrell Newby started most of the season and was fair, but he didn’t always seem to attack holes. Devine Ozigbo had a strong game in the Foster Farms Bowl. Mikale Wilbon and Adam Taylor have to make a move. At fullback, you may see a battle between Harrison Jordan and Graham Nabity.

OWH

247: Five Offensive Players to Watch

Devine Ozigbo

No one had a better finish to their 2015 season than Ozigbo who exploded against UCLA. The Huskers made it a point to feed the freshman from Texas and let him power away against a weak Bruins rush defense. The result was Ozigbo ripping off chunks of yards, while moving the chains and keeping the Huskers on schedule offensively.
Now he enters the spring as the favorite to be the primary ball carrier with the departure of Imani Cross - who also came on strong last season. Ozigbo isn’t a home run hitter, but he’s talented enough in all areas that he doesn’t have many weaknesses. It’s setting up like another committee season, but if Ozigbo takes a big step forward in the spring he might position himself to get the bulk of the work. Riley did say Nebraska plans to be a great rushing team going forward.

Rex Burkhead was never an elite running back, referencing the OP. The only folks who ever thought this were dyed in the wool husker fans. Of which I am one, but you have to be real. Burkhead wouldnt have made 3rd team on the 95 squad. He is a great guy! He was a solid back. He was a great leader by example. BUT he was not an elite running back.

I think wilbon is the best guy we have right now. The reason he isn't playing is two fold. (1) he couldn't learn the offense last year. Never got it down and never knew the assignments like he should. (2) he sucked at pass protection, and you have to have that in this offense.

The guy who can pass protect and know the offense will play over the guy who is the most talented. Newby's problem was hesisitancy to hit the hole and the ability to get yards after contact. He went down like a rag doll when a couple of ppl got on him. Ozigbo isn't great at anything but he's decent at everything and well rounded. If he loses 10lbs and gains some speed and leg strength he could be a lot better this year. Personally, I think there's a good chance Tre Bryant comes in and plays. He can do it all decently well but is a little faster and shifter than Ozigbo.

Rex Burkhead was never an elite running back, referencing the OP. The only folks who ever thought this were dyed in the wool husker fans. Of which I am one, but you have to be real. Burkhead wouldnt have made 3rd team on the 95 squad. He is a great guy! He was a solid back. He was a great leader by example. BUT he was not an elite running back.

Rex was legit. You are crazy. He wasn't an elite runner, but was really good in ALL areas. That made him elite.

• Fire 1

I think wilbon is the best guy we have right now. The reason he isn't playing is two fold. (1) he couldn't learn the offense last year. Never got it down and never knew the assignments like he should. (2) he sucked at pass protection, and you have to have that in this offense.

The guy who can pass protect and know the offense will play over the guy who is the most talented. Newby's problem was hesisitancy to hit the hole and the ability to get yards after contact. He went down like a rag doll when a couple of ppl got on him. Ozigbo isn't great at anything but he's decent at everything and well rounded. If he loses 10lbs and gains some speed and leg strength he could be a lot better this year. Personally, I think there's a good chance Tre Bryant comes in and plays. He can do it all decently well but is a little faster and shifter than Ozigbo.

Bryant hasnt touched the ball yet.....

I like Ozigbo at this weight. I just hope he gains more muscle. The "lose some weight" thing wasted a year of imani's career

agree, he should play at his natural weight.

Spring snapshot: Adam Taylor draws praise for positive approach
By STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star
<snip>
"He's one of those guys that, as the (2015) season went on — even though he wasn't playing at running back — he found other niches," said Riley, referring to Taylor's work on special teams. "And I like guys like that — those guys who redirect their energy when it's not working out exactly as they want.

Some of us thought Taylor would be the next great Husker running back. Never happened. I sure would like to see him get some carries, and see what he can do.

• Fire 1

Rex was legit. You are crazy. He wasn't an elite runner, but was really good in ALL areas. That made him elite.

Rex was solid. Not elite. Bo Jackson was elite. Herschel Walker was elite.

Rex was solid. Not elite. Bo Jackson was elite. Herschel Walker was elite.

Regardless of how much PT he is receiving he has lasted 4 years now in the NFL. As a RB that isn't easy to do if you play the percentages. Of course he isn't Bo Jackson. He almost had 4,000 total yards at Nebraska on an offense that wasn't pretty. I'd take that all day