Doc Sadler, Barry Collier, Tim Miles?

Let me start first and foremost that I am a Tim Miles fan and an avid Husker fan year round no matter the sport. I want to make some comparisons to previous coaches as far as performance. It might be surprising, maybe not. I think everyone knows the investment the university has made toward basketball is astronomical and with that should come high(er) expectations. Let's face it, we aren't a basketball school, never will be, but there are countless numbers of football schools that have good basketball programs or spans of greatness. What has to happen, because the state of the program right now is not anything special. When was the last time a GAME THREAD hit over 100 posts? I didn't see any on the 1st page including MSU upset and Creighton. So what it is, is no one that interested in basketball, stop caring as much when we start losing (guilty)? The fan support is there at the arena. 16k sold out the past few years is pretty impressive. As mentioned, I like Tim Miles and really hope he can succeed. I love that he fights for his players, gets a ton of T's, straight forward, gets along with the media. He's an unhateable guy, but i don't think that means he should be given slack because of his personality. Also, I don't think the B1G being a "tougher" conference means jack. Big 12 was loaded as well at the time. When going through non-con schedules they are very comparable year after year, a couple great teams, some good, multiple crappy. That pattern is consistent. With that in mind here are some number for previous coaches.

Doc Sadler

Doc kept us consistently in the middle of the pack with a couple low end finishes. He was notorious for bringing in Juco guys and having a lack of chemistry to begin almost every season. There were never any big name guys or highly ranked/recruited. Doc finished his time at Nebraska 12 games over .500 and about .350 in conference. It was clear Doc was never going to get us over the hump but his defenses were fun to watch, recruiting offense was the big issue here.

2006–07 Nebraska 17–14[14] 6–10[14] 7th[15]

2007–08 Nebraska 20–13[16] 7–9[16] T–7th[17]NIT 2nd Round[16]

2008–09 Nebraska 18–13[18] 8–8[18] 8th[19]NIT 1st Round[18]

2009–10 Nebraska 15–18[20] 2–14[20] 12th[21]

2010–11 Nebraska 19–13[22] 7–9[22] T–7th[23]NIT 1st Round[22]

Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big Ten Conference)

2011–12 Nebraska 12–18[22] 4–14[24] T–11th[25]

Nebraska: 101–89[4] (.532) 34–64 (.347)

Barry Collier

I don't remember much from the Collier era, but as the stats indicate we were consistently in the middle to middle lower pack of conference play. Barry finished with an overall record 2 games under .500 and .375 in conference play.

Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big 12 Conference) (2000–2006)

2000–01 Nebraska 14–16 7–9 7th

2001–02 Nebraska 13–15 6–10 7th (tie)

2002–03 Nebraska 11–19 3–13 12th

2003–04 Nebraska 18–13 6–10 9th NIT Second Round

2004–05 Nebraska 14–14 7–9 8th (tie)

2005–06 Nebraska 19–14 7–9 6th NIT First Round

Nebraska: 89–91 (.494) 36–60 (.375)

Tim Miles

Tim Miles had shown great improvement from year 1 to 2 with some dynamic shooters and good defense. He took us to the first NCAA tournament in decades, however we were not competitive. Almost to the end of year 4 with a couple more games that more than likely will be losses, he is sitting 3 games under .500 and .386. He has the best conference percentage of the pack but most of that is contributed to the year 2 run and the smaller sample size (4 years instead of 6).

Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big Ten Conference) (2012–present)

2012–13 Nebraska 15–18 5–13 10th

2013–14 Nebraska 19–13 11–7 4th NCAA Second Round

2014–15 Nebraska 13–18 5–13 12th

2015–16 Nebraska 14–15 6–10

Nebraska: 61–64 (.488) 27–43 (.386)

***It did not display the initial charts like i expected.

The stats indicate thus far, that Tim has produced the lowest results in exception to year 2. Keep in mind, Tim has brought in some big time recruits that are more athletic and highly rated than anyone we've had with the past two coaches. I normally would be optimistic about next year with the young guys, but year 2 to 3 was a disaster with practically the same team. On top of that, Tim has not been able to get a big guy in the gym since he stepped foot in here. Next year looks like the same, yay Hammond. I feel like with past coaches there was obvious heat at times and ultimately it sparked change. Is Miles an exception because of his personality and positive/happy character that makes the university look good media wise? I think with the amount of $ the university dedicated to be competitive in Basketball we should not expect less than middle of the pack in the conference, is 7th too much to ask? With occasional breakout years where we hit top 5 and start sneaking in the tourney. I don't think that's unrealistic at all. We had NBA scouts getting facility ideas by visiting Nebraska! It's almost inevitable we have top 5 college basketball facilities, if not the highest. Tim is getting better players in here than we've had under previous coaches, but the results are not meshing with that fact. Why isn't the seat a little warm, why does the media not expect high basketball results, why don't we on huskerboard, showing that game threads have pathetic numbers? It would be nice to get some decent insight on members perspective and what the deal is. We had a big injury this year that may excuse some recent losses but there were many earlier, and will be in the next couple week, and i've heard the B1G conference is tougher line (not true at all per conference rankings since 2000). Sorry for the long post but it would be nice for some decent discussion.

• Fire 4

I think there are a couple factors to take into consideration when comparing the last several coaches (frankly you can go back to the 1960s or forever if you want to as it is almost all the same). The Big Ten is much tougher conference in basketball than the Big 8 and Big 12 were in my view. Therefore, I believe it is arguable that the Husker mens' BB team is better overall than those of the past years under Tim's reign. However, the competition is tougher so the results are about the same in terms of wins and losses, etc. I think most of the discussion on making the move to the Big Ten was that it would be better for the football program and help the baseball and likely be tougher in the women's sports particularly VB. Men's BB would suffer the most and arguably it has but Miles has kept it from being too embarrassing.

I was one who felt we didn't need to change coaches the last time because I didn't believe it would matter. Absent hiring a big name big time coach, Nebraska will NEVER have a top twenty or ten BB program. Nebraska has NEVER won a championship in BB in its history. Sadly, I don't believe it will and Tim Miles is not going to change that.

If you are BB fans, then you should simply get on board with Tim Miles and cheer for the team, win or lose. If I were the AD and it came time to let Tim go, I would recommend that mens BB be discontinued altogether in favor of additing some other sport or simply adding the budget to the football program. I am a Husker fan die hard and BB is interesting enough. But it is futile to continue changing coaches when it won't matter in the big picture. The results will be the same. Nebraska produces practically no top notch BB talent and until we have a couple local guys come along with NBA all star talent and give the team a major boost, we are destined to remain losers.

...... lol. I'm not trying to be a dick, but did you just try to make a statistical argument that 1) proved Miles has the best conference record of the 3 coaches you are comparing and then 2) say that if you throw out TWENTY FIVE PERCENT (25%) of his time here at Nebraska (obviously, the best 25%) that he's actually the worst? Hmm, you don't say.

...... lol. I'm not trying to be a dick, but did you just try to make a statistical argument that 1) proved Miles has the best conference record of the 3 coaches you are comparing and then 2) say that if you throw out TWENTY FIVE PERCENT (25%) of his time here at Nebraska (obviously, the best 25%) that he's actually the worst? Hmm, you don't say.

Statistical was meant more for overall record. And the conference records are similar between all of them. If we lose that last two games he won't be "1st" for conference percentage. And is winning less than 40% of conference games what we should expect or put as a benchmark. I wasn't throwing out the 25%, I just didn't want to say it was a fluke. I think we played great basketball at the end and got hott, but his overall record is worse regardless.

Statistical was meant more for overall record. And the conference records are similar between all of them. If we lose that last two games he won't be "1st" for conference percentage. And is winning less than 40% of conference games what we should expect or put as a benchmark. I wasn't throwing out the 25%, I just didn't want to say it was a fluke. I think we played great basketball at the end and got hott, but his overall record is worse regardless.

That's fair. I guess it's not fair to judge him on 3 out of his 4 years. There's also the law of averages - I have confidence that if Miles is given 6 years, his records will be better than Doc/Collier.

That's fair. I guess it's not fair to judge him on 3 out of his 4 years. There's also the law of averages - I have confidence that if Miles is given 6 years, his records will be better than Doc/Collier.

Go check out for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Miles

He is a .500 career coach, period, with one or two decent years mixed in per school.

He is getting better recruits...they are True Freshmen at this point. I still believe Tim is building us the right way. 2 more diaper dandies coming next season with Gill being able to play. We will be MUCH improved next season.

^^ This. +1 Miles is bringing guys in like we've never done before. He's just a couple bigs away from having a solid B1G team right now. So get out and recruit us a 7 footer, Tim!

He is a .500 career coach, period, with one or two decent years mixed in per school.

And those schools are not Nebraska and those schools did not play B1G basketball and those schools did not have our facilities and he did not recruit as well at those schools as he has here. :)

I'll flat out admit that this year has been disappointing.

However, when you look at the recruiting and especially the true freshman class right now, I am excited to see how they pan out. We have seen some flashes from this group already. Yes, we need a big in the middle and that is extremely frustrating that we can't seem to get one.

I agree with the statement that constantly changing coaches is not going to get us anywhere. Yes, our record right now is not where we would like. So...you have to look beyond that and see what is happening. We are recruiting well and the players haven't stop playing hard for him. When you have those two things going, you don't change coaches.

And those schools are not Nebraska and those schools did not play B1G basketball and those schools did not have our facilities and he did not recruit as well at those schools as he has here. :)

you are right they are not, but it is all relative!

I'll flat out admit that this year has been disappointing.

However, when you look at the recruiting and especially the true freshman class right now, I am excited to see how they pan out. We have seen some flashes from this group already. Yes, we need a big in the middle and that is extremely frustrating that we can't seem to get one.

I agree with the statement that constantly changing coaches is not going to get us anywhere. Yes, our record right now is not where we would like. So...you have to look beyond that and see what is happening. We are recruiting well and the players haven't stop playing hard for him. When you have those two things going, you don't change coaches.

That is the thing.. it isn't just this year.

For me, Tim should get 6 years to prove himself. Nothing more than that, and if we are in the same position we are now he should be let go.

Actually .545

.......... If I were the AD and it came time to let Tim go, I would recommend that mens BB be discontinued altogether in favor of additing some other sport or simply adding the budget to the football program. I am a Husker fan die hard and BB is interesting enough. But it is futile to continue changing coaches when it won't matter in the big picture. The results will be the same. Nebraska produces practically no top notch BB talent and until we have a couple local guys come along with NBA all star talent and give the team a major boost, we are destined to remain losers.

Seriously? Shuttering the whole program? If Central Connecticut State can have a basketball team then why can't we? Sure we never win anything but so what? It's fun to watch. At least this year we score some points. I can remember some games in the Sadler years where I was wondering if we would break the two digit barrier by half time, THAT was hard to watch.

I was a NU fan way before I was a football program. In fact at one of the games I met an injured HuskerQB.....

Actually .545

He took over some abysmal programs, us included. Has taken them all dancing