OU to B1G? Media Friend Says There Are Talks

I know I don't post much, and rarely contribute to rumors, BUT:

As some of you may recall, or notice from searching my post history, I work in media, specifically geared toward broadcast radio and television. I worked in the Omaha market for most of the 90's and still have many friends in Omaha and scattered in media around the country. I am currently in the Tampa Bay area.

One of those old media friends is a fellow in Chicago. I'll be short on details, as I was warned to keep him anonymous, but here's what little I got:

The B1G and OU are in fact talking about OU moving to our conference. I know that isn't much of a surprise. I don't have any actually surprising info. But this was a confirmation of something we all suspected and I thought it was worthwhile to verify it, inasmuch as I can. My friend is also a longtime media veteran in the sports broadcast world. He's not a guy anyone would know, more of a behind the scenes person in the executive area of broadcast.

He does not know anything more, really. No dates, no prophecies, no legal crap. Just that they are talking about moving to the B1G.

Take it for what it's worth.

• Fire 7

Thanks for the update on this topic. I alluded a few weeks ago to keep an eye on Oklahoma. These rumors do not surprise me at all, especially since the Big Ten will soon, if they haven't already begun to negotiate their new television network contract.

It definitely helps sweeten the pie so to speak if they can go into these negotiations with the potential of saying, "but what if we add Oklahoma AND Kansas."

I would say as we get into the later part of spring keep an eye on the Big 12 first. If Oklahoma doesn't get what they want out of that conference this time around, they are a phone call away from jumping to the Big Ten.

I'm right there with you guys. I don't know any more than what I posted: OU is talking to the B1G. That is confirmation (at least for me) that this time OU is not bluffing. Texas better be prepared to lose this hand with Boren or lose OU in their conference.

We chatted a little more, but it was just our personal thoughts, nothing that everyone hasn't already dissected over and over and none of it is particularly new.

Maybe Texas can keep OU happy. But my personal feeling is that once someone has a wandering eye the grass often looks greener on the other side. I certainly felt that way after the shock of Nebraska to the B1G wore off a bit.

i think OU would seriously consider the Big Ten BUT I also seriously doubt the governor and others in State high elected offices would consider letting the school disconnect conference wise from the Okie State as well. Oklahoma has indicated many times it wants to remain tied up with Texas but I really think Texas just isn't what it used to be with all the competition from the many Texas schools. Even Baylor's teddy bears are not afraid of the big bad longhorns anymore. Not so sure Texas really runs the show. The TV deals just may not be quite what they were hoping.

However, I would also have some serious doubts about whether the Big Ten really wants OU. They bring very little to the table in terms of national rep outside of the football program. And why would Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan, etc want to bring in another powerhouse that would seriously threaten to upset the balance of power. There are already losses built in to all but two teams before the conference champ game. Add OU and you can figure the chances of ANY team finishing unbeaten drop about 50% more. Running the table in the Big Ten is probably about a 15% shot for Buckeyes, 10% for Michigan and Mich State, 5% for Wisconsin and Nebraska and maybe even less for Penn St. Throw a game vs Sooners in to about two thirds of those teams as well and you cut those chances a bunch. The Big Ten teams at the top don't want or need more tough tough opponents. Just my opinion. I loved the NU vs. OU games - they were lump in your throat, gut wrenching affairs almost yearly for decades. At present, OU would be favored over all but perhaps Ohio St. They are certainly a couple steps up for us. We don't need more losses on the schedule any time soon.

i think OU would seriously consider the Big Ten BUT I also seriously doubt the governor and others in State high elected offices would consider letting the school disconnect conference wise from the Okie State as well. Oklahoma has indicated many times it wants to remain tied up with Texas but I really think Texas just isn't what it used to be with all the competition from the many Texas schools. Even Baylor's teddy bears are not afraid of the big bad longhorns anymore. Not so sure Texas really runs the show. The TV deals just may not be quite what they were hoping.

However, I would also have some serious doubts about whether the Big Ten really wants OU. They bring very little to the table in terms of national rep outside of the football program. And why would Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan, etc want to bring in another powerhouse that would seriously threaten to upset the balance of power. There are already losses built in to all but two teams before the conference champ game. Add OU and you can figure the chances of ANY team finishing unbeaten drop about 50% more. Running the table in the Big Ten is probably about a 15% shot for Buckeyes, 10% for Michigan and Mich State, 5% for Wisconsin and Nebraska and maybe even less for Penn St. Throw a game vs Sooners in to about two thirds of those teams as well and you cut those chances a bunch. The Big Ten teams at the top don't want or need more tough tough opponents. Just my opinion. I loved the NU vs. OU games - they were lump in your throat, gut wrenching affairs almost yearly for decades. At present, OU would be favored over all but perhaps Ohio St. They are certainly a couple steps up for us. We don't need more losses on the schedule any time soon.

Adding OU is big time. Balance the East and West REAL quick IMO