OU to B1G? Media Friend Says There Are Talks

When it comes to expansion & conference realignment, Tom Shatel of the Omaha World Herald concludes that at the end of the 2016 Big Ten Media days...

The Big Ten might not be done yet

...and it potentially has Oklahoma, Texas, along with Kansas and maybe Missouri in it's crosshairs.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/shatel-b-g-tv-deals-take-away-any-excuses-nebraska/article_72308e1f-eaa3-573a-90f0-22ae055b70ae.html

"...the only league left to poach would appear to be the Big 12, which also has a grant of rights but only for several more years. However, where there's a lawyer, there's always a way. And if Oklahoma or Texas chose to bolt the Big 12, certainly the destination conference would help pick up the tab."

"The feeling at media days is that Delany may not be done yet, though the Boss said Tuesday he may not be here for the end of the six-year TV deal. Never say never with Delany."

I seriously doubt that Delaney is going to entice a school to break a GOR, since it then gives a blueprint for other schools to do the same.

But if the Big XII doesn't extend their GOR, then I think 2021 and 2022 are going to be rather active years for the B1G and expansion. But probably not before then.

When it comes to expansion & conference realignment, Tom Shatel of the Omaha World Herald concludes that at the end of the 2016 Big Ten Media days...

...and it potentially has Oklahoma, Texas, along with Kansas and maybe Missouri in it's crosshairs.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/shatel-b-g-tv-deals-take-away-any-excuses-nebraska/article_72308e1f-eaa3-573a-90f0-22ae055b70ae.html

"...the only league left to poach would appear to be the Big 12, which also has a grant of rights but only for several more years. However, where there's a lawyer, there's always a way. And if Oklahoma or Texas chose to bolt the Big 12, certainly the destination conference would help pick up the tab."

"The feeling at media days is that Delany may not be done yet, though the Boss said Tuesday he may not be here for the end of the six-year TV deal. Never say never with Delany."

I seriously doubt that Delaney is going to entice a school to break a GOR, since it then gives a blueprint for other schools to do the same.

But if the Big XII doesn't extend their GOR, then I think 2021 and 2022 are going to be rather active years for the B1G and expansion. But probably not before then.

In fairness, Delany really doesn't have to entice any school. The new media rights deal that he just helped craft for the Big Ten will do all the enticing for him & the conference.

I'm still not quite sure about Texas in the Big Ten? Not sure if Nebraska could vote to approve that move? Also not sure if the Big Ten wants to deal with Texas' politics. Plus if you add the the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, & Missouri you're looking at an 18 team conference, and I'm not sold that the Big Ten wants to get THAT big.

I think the more likely possibility at this point, and better fit for the conference would be to add just Oklahoma & Kansas, and be done with it as a 16-team Super Conference.

In fairness, Delany really doesn't have to entice any school. The new media rights deal that he just helped craft for the Big Ten will do all the enticing for him & the conference.

I'm still not quite sure about Texas in the Big Ten? Not sure if Nebraska could vote to approve that move? Also not sure if the Big Ten wants to deal with Texas' politics. Plus if you add the the likes of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, & Missouri you're looking at an 18 team conference, and I'm not sold that the Big Ten wants to get THAT big.

I think the more likely possibility at this point, and better fit for the conference would be to add just Oklahoma & Kansas, and be done with it as a 16-team Super Conference.

Agreed. I don't think Texass is worth the headache, and if they could poach Oklahoma and either Kansas (Delaney's favorite most like due to his basketball desires) or Mizzery (no GOR in SEC, and we'll have a better TV deal that could potentially outpace those schools by ~$5-10m a year), that would be a hell of a pickup and worth the time and consternation.

I understand Kansas from a bball standpoint but come on.

No one honestly cares enough about bball. Only one school is worse than Purdue in football, and that's Kansas. What a buzzkill when you have UT and OU just waiting to be taken in.

Those bring in something to football and bball. Kansas can go to the Pac12 or ACC.

Geography was thrown out back when Boise was headed to the big east with TCU and when WVA went to the big12. Proved that geography doesn't matter.

The B10 wants this for any future school

MUST be an AAU Member. Nebraska got a pass because of the Medical School technicality. But the College Presidents are very adamant that it was an extreme exception.

Must have TV Markets OU/Texas brings that so they are in play, so is Mizzou. Mizzou been begging for years to get into the B10. It makes too much sense but the STL and KC market isn't sexy enough for the Chicago guys.

All money is shared equally. The B10 shares money in athletics. Everyone shares it equally. It doesn't stop there the AAU membership matters because the academic research dollars. When Wisky applies for a Grant with a Govt/Foundation they have a Professor/Dept sponsor at each member school sign on too. So thats why get so much research money, when they sign one B10 school they actually get access to all the staffs/facilities too at the other member schools. So a $3M NIH grant turns into a windfall for all the schools.

Commitment to Olympic sports/non-revenues. This is not the SEC/ACC/Big East you have to field teams in lots sports that their students play because frankly these are the people that pays the bills. Its the guy who grew up in Downers Grove Ill, played water polo at Michigan for 3 years, went to Law School at Minnesota, and becomes a Partner at Moody's who cuts $5M checks to the endowment fund when they turn 60 years old, not pro athletes from your school.

• Fire 1

Im going to assume with this being a Nebraska Board you are Neb fans I stopped in because there was some expansion talk the last couple days.

Personally, I think Mizzou and Kansas are the answer going west.

Or the UVA and UNC combo. going east(changes the conference drastically geographically, but lines up great other spots).

I would have rather taken Pitt over Rutgers, but NY TV sets were too valuable.

I would have taken Pitt and Mizzou, but it was a money grab because there are so many B10 alums that are working on Wall Street/Medicine in NYC or are Beltway Bandits in DC the TV sets did the talking.

MUST be an AAU Member. Nebraska got a pass because of the Medical School technicality. But the College Presidents are very adamant that it was an extreme exception.

erm, Nebraska was an AAU member at the time they joined the B1G.

And two B10 schools voted us out (Michigan and Wisconsin???) after NU joined B10.

I think Kansas Missouri Oklahoma and Texas are all AAU members

And two B10 schools voted us out (Michigan and Wisconsin???) after NU joined B10.

Oklahoma is not an AAU member.

Oklahoma is not an AAU member.

And we know that the B1G was *THIS* close to pulling the trigger on OU in that five-team deal per the OWH. Combine this with the B1G's dalliance with Notre Dame (who also isn't in the AAU), and this illustrates that AAU membership isn't as important as some folks are making it out to be for B1G membership.

Everyone says OU won't do anything without OSU and KU won't do anything without KSU, 20 years ago that was probably true. I don't think so anymore. Everyone said A&M wouldn't leave Texas and the Big 12 and we see what happened. Nothing would surprise me at this time in the world of college football.

I think bringing OU into the conference would help Nebraska and strengthen the western end of the conference. Academically OU does not align with the B1G real well, but I don't think a lot of the rest of the conference thinks Nebraska fits too well either.

I could see Texas going to the SEC and then pulling in Clemson to round out the 16.

I have read elsewhere that Oklahoma President Boren wants to upgrade OU's academics and joining the BIG 10 would be a step in that direction.

Good point. However students at Oklahoma would actually be required to go to class and study. Is that a reasonable expectation?