OU to B1G? Media Friend Says There Are Talks

Adding OU and KU would certainly help the conference, not sure it would be good for Nebraska. Plus in the long run it might hurt Oklahoma recruiting in Texas. Be careful what you wish for. Right now we need to keep the advantage of the western conference as it is. This program has a long way to go to be competitive with top teams, and adding another top program on our side in football and basketball, really does not benefit Nebraska at this time. IMHO

I've just skimmed this thread, so I hope this hasn't been covered, but neither OU or KU is switching conferences without it's little brother tagging along. KU's basketball and both basketball and football for OU would be bring some benefit to the table in the B1G conference, K-State (especially after "Old Balls" retires) and Okie Light, not so much.

Am I seriously reading that some of you don't want OU because it would make it harder for us to win the crappy West division?????

People, were we not upset that we got stuck in a dismal Big 12 North with no real competition which in turn directly led to us becoming complacent and average in terms of on field product.

Adding OU and KU would do nothing but benefit us long term. It adds an almost lock win over KU every year and gives us an honest historical rival to play and step up for. The answer to our troubles is not taking the easy road. If we want to shower in the glory like teams of yesterday we have to answer the challenge and knock it out, not side step it and run.

• Fire 2

Am I seriously reading that some of you don't want OU because it would make it harder for us to win the crappy West division?????

People, were we not upset that we got stuck in a dismal Big 12 North with no real competition which in turn directly led to us becoming complacent and average in terms of on field product.

Adding OU and KU would do nothing but benefit us long term. It adds an almost lock win over KU every year and gives us an honest historical rival to play and step up for. The answer to our troubles is not taking the easy road. If we want to shower in the glory like teams of yesterday we have to answer the challenge and knock it out, not side step it and run.

Absolutely. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i think OU would seriously consider the Big Ten BUT I also seriously doubt the governor and others in State high elected offices would consider letting the school disconnect conference wise from the Okie State as well. Oklahoma has indicated many times it wants to remain tied up with Texas but I really think Texas just isn't what it used to be with all the competition from the many Texas schools. Even Baylor's teddy bears are not afraid of the big bad longhorns anymore. Not so sure Texas really runs the show. The TV deals just may not be quite what they were hoping.

However, I would also have some serious doubts about whether the Big Ten really wants OU. They bring very little to the table in terms of national rep outside of the football program. And why would Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan, etc want to bring in another powerhouse that would seriously threaten to upset the balance of power. There are already losses built in to all but two teams before the conference champ game. Add OU and you can figure the chances of ANY team finishing unbeaten drop about 50% more. Running the table in the Big Ten is probably about a 15% shot for Buckeyes, 10% for Michigan and Mich State, 5% for Wisconsin and Nebraska and maybe even less for Penn St. Throw a game vs Sooners in to about two thirds of those teams as well and you cut those chances a bunch. The Big Ten teams at the top don't want or need more tough tough opponents. Just my opinion. I loved the NU vs. OU games - they were lump in your throat, gut wrenching affairs almost yearly for decades. At present, OU would be favored over all but perhaps Ohio St. They are certainly a couple steps up for us. We don't need more losses on the schedule any time soon.

You think the B10 wouldn't like Buddy Held playing in their conference for Basketball right now? Weren't there some very good women basketball teams from OU not so long ago?

• Fire 1

i think OU would seriously consider the Big Ten BUT I also seriously doubt the governor and others in State high elected offices would consider letting the school disconnect conference wise from the Okie State as well. Oklahoma has indicated many times it wants to remain tied up with Texas but I really think Texas just isn't what it used to be with all the competition from the many Texas schools. Even Baylor's teddy bears are not afraid of the big bad longhorns anymore. Not so sure Texas really runs the show. The TV deals just may not be quite what they were hoping.

However, I would also have some serious doubts about whether the Big Ten really wants OU. They bring very little to the table in terms of national rep outside of the football program. And why would Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan, etc want to bring in another powerhouse that would seriously threaten to upset the balance of power. There are already losses built in to all but two teams before the conference champ game. Add OU and you can figure the chances of ANY team finishing unbeaten drop about 50% more. Running the table in the Big Ten is probably about a 15% shot for Buckeyes, 10% for Michigan and Mich State, 5% for Wisconsin and Nebraska and maybe even less for Penn St. Throw a game vs Sooners in to about two thirds of those teams as well and you cut those chances a bunch. The Big Ten teams at the top don't want or need more tough tough opponents. Just my opinion. I loved the NU vs. OU games - they were lump in your throat, gut wrenching affairs almost yearly for decades. At present, OU would be favored over all but perhaps Ohio St. They are certainly a couple steps up for us. We don't need more losses on the schedule any time soon.

Adding OU is big time. Balance the East and West REAL quick IMO

In addition, they are currently #6 in men's basketball and #24 in women's basketball.

Getting Oklahoma is great. But as much as I hate to say it, getting Texas or someone like Vanderbilt is more important to the B1G as opposed to Kansas. Missouri might even be a bigger deal than Kansas.

Getting Texas, or an SEC school gets BTN on cable packages in LHN and SECN territory where it can go head to head. Especially with population base. I know Kansas is a great basketball name and honestly they make more sense than Rutgers does, but it's all about Delaney expanding the brand further.

Everyone says OU won't do anything without OSU and KU won't do anything without KSU, 20 years ago that was probably true. I don't think so anymore. Everyone said A&M wouldn't leave Texas and the Big 12 and we see what happened. Nothing would surprise me at this time in the world of college football.

I think bringing OU into the conference would help Nebraska and strengthen the western end of the conference. Academically OU does not align with the B1G real well, but I don't think a lot of the rest of the conference thinks Nebraska fits too well either.

I could see Texas going to the SEC and then pulling in Clemson to round out the 16.

Getting Oklahoma is great. But as much as I hate to say it, getting Texas or someone like Vanderbilt is more important to the B1G as opposed to Kansas. Missouri might even be a bigger deal than Kansas.

Getting Texas, or an SEC school gets BTN on cable packages in LHN and SECN territory where it can go head to head. Especially with population base. I know Kansas is a great basketball name and honestly they make more sense than Rutgers does, but it's all about Delaney expanding the brand further.

How about if we would go get someone like Tennessee?

Everyone says OU won't do anything without OSU and KU won't do anything without KSU, 20 years ago that was probably true. I don't think so anymore. Everyone said A&M wouldn't leave Texas and the Big 12 and we see what happened. Nothing would surprise me at this time in the world of college football.

I think bringing OU into the conference would help Nebraska and strengthen the western end of the conference. Academically OU does not align with the B1G real well, but I don't think a lot of the rest of the conference thinks Nebraska fits too well either.

I could see Texas going to the SEC and then pulling in Clemson to round out the 16.

I have read elsewhere that Oklahoma President Boren wants to upgrade OU's academics and joining the BIG 10 would be a step in that direction.

Agree with everything except the last part. I could see Texas joining the SEC....if the Pac 12 turns them down. I think Clemson is ACC for the long haul.

There is no reason for any SEC team to leave that conference.

I think Delaney would go after Vandy before Tennessee because of academics.