OU to B1G? Media Friend Says There Are Talks

Talked with a Sooner fan today. Says he has never heard about the Big 10, but Texas and Oklahoma to the Pac 12 is mentioned quite often. Says there is talk of BYU and Cincinnati being added to the Big 12. Also mentioned Arizona State and Arizona, never heard that before. I don't see FSU coming to the Big 10. But never thought West Virginia to the Big 12 would happen either.

I still think the goal is to get conferences to 16, the magic 64 of March Madness. Be it the Big 12 or the ACC going away with all the talk of invading each conference

The BYU thing should have already happened. Big 12 is just shuffling it's feet and is missing chances.

At this point I would like to see OU and KU come here, Texas and Tech go to the Pac 12, KSU ISU OSU Baylor TCU go to the MtnWest plus BYU, and WVU go to the ACC plus ND become a full member.

The BYU thing should have already happened. Big 12 is just shuffling it's feet and is missing chances.

At this point I would like to see OU and KU come here, Texas and Tech go to the Pac 12, KSU ISU OSU Baylor TCU go to the MtnWest plus BYU, and WVU go to the ACC plus ND become a full member.

Or the whole "no play on Sunday" thing is a logistical problem that eclipses the sum of benefits BYU could bring...

...that, and the Big XII leadership is split on what to do, since Texass really doesn't want more teams that can beat them, and Oklahoma is demanding QUALITY expansion (read: none of the candidates available) or they bolt.

And with apologies to the OU fan above, but they aren't following along then. When Barry Trammel, mouthpiece of OU Athletics in the press, starts gushing over the advantages the B1G has over the Big XII in multiple articles at the same time OU's admin saber rattles...

And I don't know if the Mountain West would want all of that baggage. Maybe OSU, TCU, and Tech. But Baylor, KSU, and ISU may have to slum it in the AAC.

Talked with a Sooner fan today. Says he has never heard about the Big 10, but Texas and Oklahoma to the Pac 12 is mentioned quite often. Says there is talk of BYU and Cincinnati being added to the Big 12. Also mentioned Arizona State and Arizona, never heard that before.

Honestly sounds like wishful thinking on his part more so than actual rumors.

Or the whole "no play on Sunday" thing is a logistical problem that eclipses the sum of benefits BYU could bring...

...that, and the Big XII leadership is split on what to do, since Texass really doesn't want more teams that can beat them, and Oklahoma is demanding QUALITY expansion (read: none of the candidates available) or they bolt.

And with apologies to the OU fan above, but they aren't following along then. When Barry Trammel, mouthpiece of OU Athletics in the press, starts gushing over the advantages the B1G has over the Big XII in multiple articles at the same time OU's admin saber rattles...

And I don't know if the Mountain West would want all of that baggage. Maybe OSU, TCU, and Tech. But Baylor, KSU, and ISU may have to slum it in the AAC.

The no Sunday thing can be easily worked around with a little effort on the Big 12's part.

The MtnWest should take a long look at all of them if the chips fall like this, could bring them back closer to the dance when they were shooting for AQ status.

Talked with a Sooner fan today. Says he has never heard about the Big 10, but Texas and Oklahoma to the Pac 12 is mentioned quite often. Says there is talk of BYU and Cincinnati being added to the Big 12. Also mentioned Arizona State and Arizona, never heard that before.

Honestly sounds like wishful thinking on his part more so than actual rumors.

To say the least. Arizona State and Arizona aren't going anywhere...and hell, if the hockey rumors are to be believed, ASU's new Ice Hockey team may end up joining the B1G conference with another yet-to-be-named school. Really don't see how or why they'd end up in bed with a Big XII that's really circling the drain right now.

The no Sunday thing can be easily worked around with a little effort on the Big 12's part.

The MtnWest should take a long look at all of them if the chips fall like this, could bring them back closer to the dance when they were shooting for AQ status.

Agreed...but frankly, some of these schools (Baylor, ISU) really don't do anything for the conferences. Sure Baylor has current success in the Big XII now (thanks to their liberal use of SWC-era recruiting methods, if the locals are to be believed), but they don't really move the needle for ratings, viewership...and their fanbase really is one of the most pathetic in the P5 conferences.

I could see KSU being spared because the Mountain West can tap into Kansas City TV markets then...but there's no need of Baylor if the MWC already has TCU, since the later will bring the DFW market to the MWC. Baylor will bring...what...the lucrative Waco market and Dr. Pepper Museum aficionados?

As for BYU...yeah, the Big XII *could* work around it. But I think there's a culture fit issue with BYU and Big XII leadership, and the Sunday scheduling thing is a polite way of dancing around this issue. FtT had suggested via Twitter that part of BYU's problem is that their leadership really hasn't endeared itself with the Big XII schools at all, whereas the other schools are making it a point to reach out to Big XII and individual school leadership.

And I remember reading an article a couple of months ago about the MWC really pushing for and being *THIS* close to becoming a recognized power conference. If they do a solid for the Pac-12 and B1G by picking up Big XII orphans (thus allowing departing members and rescued orphans to dissolve the conference) without legally breaking GORs, I could see the MWC becoming an AW/power conference and all this happening relatively soon.

I think Baylor would be just valuable enough to get in for the sake of extra name value, recent name value. Plus the Baylor TCU game has become the hottest Texas vs Texas matchup of the season. With Texas in the PAC and A&M in thE SEC, that would leave a lot of room for thr Mtn.West to take over a chunk of the Texas market.

BYU and the Big 12 both need eachother yet both are too stubborn to admit it.

I think we need the Mtn.West to become a power league. We would have 5 true regioanl leauges then: West/SW-PAC, MW/NE-B1G, NE/SE-ACC, SE/SW-SEC and South/West/Midwest-MtnWest

Then convince the Sun Belt, AAC, C-USA and the MAC to partner up in some fashion into 2 super mid major leagues. Then we would have 7 conference champions and 1 at large spot that could be the ground work for a true 8 team playoff.

BYU does not need the B12. Keep in mind that BYU has a religious leadership and has goals that aren't like other schools. The football program is about visibility and marketing for the university and the LDS church (not just those but that's a big part of it). Independence is a good fit for BYU, so a conference is going to have to convince them to join.

BYU does not need the B12. Keep in mind that BYU has a religious leadership and has goals that aren't like other schools. The football program is about visibility and marketing for the university and the LDS church (not just those but that's a big part of it). Independence is a good fit for BYU, so a conference is going to have to convince them to join.

Does BYU want to make money off their program or compete in post season games?

Does BYU want to make money off their program or compete in post season games?

Of course, but they might value visibility more. And I'm pretty sure they make money already.

Oklahoma and a Texas school is ideal for B1G expansion. More money there compared to OU and Kansas

Except that Delaney is keen on making the B1G *THE* collegiate basketball conference of note, and adding Kansas would pretty much put an exclamation point on that. And unless you're talking Texass 'proper', then no...there's no Texas school that would overcome what Kansas can bring re: basketball.

And we know (as this has been covered in other threads on this board) that Kansas is willing to hop in bed with whomever provides a good deal and doesn't have to get state blessing (or K-State's blessing, for that matter). We know this from when Kansas almost went to the Big East back in 2010 when it looked like the Big XII was toast. Plus, the B1G has already done its homework on Kansas (per the OWH article), and likely isn't going to start from scratch if it doesn't have to.

As for Okie Lite, their legislature is going to be presented with a scenario of either Oklahoma being tethered to Okie Lite and being drug down in a flailing Big XII, or they can cut the cord and let Okie Lite sink or swim on its own, and allow Oklahoma follow its goal of improving its academic cache substantially--something the school President has stated as a goal for the University and one that a move to the B1G would help facilitate.

As for the GOR that is likely preventing this from happening already, a media friend of mine pointed out if there's no Big XII, then there's no GOR. If Oklahoma, Texas (Pac-12), and Kansas all have homes, and they help find homes in the AAC or Mountain West for enough schools to get a majority (e.g. Iowa State, K-State, Tech), then there will be enough votes there to dissolve the conference, and the GOR is gone.

Kinda underhanded, I know...but then again, the Big XII was nothing but the SWC II--Electric Boogaloo from its inception and how the conference handled itself.

---

Someone just forwarded me a tweet where FrankTheTank also said that OU to the B1G is very likely, but suggests that FSU to the B1G would be a welcome grab. Don't know how realistic that is with the ACC's moves of late...but if they legally break the GOR (instead of dissolving the conference), then it's a moot point.

UConn would be just as big of a get as KU with regards to basketball. Plus there are 1 million more people living in Connecticut as Kansas. And arguably a better football program. And UConn isn't part of a mega conference.

So I just don't get the love fest for Kansas.

• Fire 1

Oklahoma and a Texas school is ideal for B1G expansion. More money there compared to OU and Kansas

Except that Delaney is keen on making the B1G *THE* collegiate basketball conference of note, and adding Kansas would pretty much put an exclamation point on that. And unless you're talking Texass 'proper', then no...there's no Texas school that would overcome what Kansas can bring re: basketball.

And we know (as this has been covered in other threads on this board) that Kansas is willing to hop in bed with whomever provides a good deal and doesn't have to get state blessing (or K-State's blessing, for that matter). We know this from when Kansas almost went to the Big East back in 2010 when it looked like the Big XII was toast. Plus, the B1G has already done its homework on Kansas (per the OWH article), and likely isn't going to start from scratch if it doesn't have to.

As for Okie Lite, their legislature is going to be presented with a scenario of either Oklahoma being tethered to Okie Lite and being drug down in a flailing Big XII, or they can cut the cord and let Okie Lite sink or swim on its own, and allow Oklahoma follow its goal of improving its academic cache substantially--something the school President has stated as a goal for the University and one that a move to the B1G would help facilitate.

As for the GOR that is likely preventing this from happening already, a media friend of mine pointed out if there's no Big XII, then there's no GOR. If Oklahoma, Texas (Pac-12), and Kansas all have homes, and they help find homes in the AAC or Mountain West for enough schools to get a majority (e.g. Iowa State, K-State, Tech), then there will be enough votes there to dissolve the conference, and the GOR is gone.

Kinda underhanded, I know...but then again, the Big XII was nothing but the SWC II--Electric Boogaloo from its inception and how the conference handled itself.

---

Someone just forwarded me a tweet where FrankTheTank also said that OU to the B1G is very likely, but suggests that FSU to the B1G would be a welcome grab. Don't know how realistic that is with the ACC's moves of late...but if they legally break the GOR (instead of dissolving the conference), then it's a moot point.

UConn would be just as big of a get as KU with regards to basketball. Plus there are 1 million more people living in Connecticut as Kansas. And arguably a better football program. And UConn isn't part of a mega conference.

I would disagree about UConn being on the same page as Kansas relating to basketball respectability, unless you are talking women, then you might have a point but for the men's side, not close IMO. Yes, UConn has a more populated base in which it operates from but Country wise, I would argue that basketball fans would recognize KU as one of the top 3 recognized and reveled institutions!

---

I would disagree about UConn being on the same page as Kansas relating to basketball respectability, unless you are talking women, then you might have a point but for the men's side, not close IMO. Yes, UConn has a more populated base in which it operates from but Country wise, I would argue that basketball fans would recognize KU as one of the top 3 recognized and reveled institutions!

I guess it depends on how you want to determine relevancy. UConn men have won 4 championships in the last 17 years. KU has won 3 in their history.

But whatever. It's just my opinion that Delaney is going to look East if he is looking for a basketball school. I have no inside information other than what he has been doing to gain viewership in the East and UConn is ripe to be picked. And the women's basketball team is icing on the cake.

I won't bitch if KU joins the B1G but I think there is a school better suited to Delaney's vision than them.

• Fire 3

What makes you guys think the Mountain West has any chance at being one of the power conferences? The only way I see that being a possibility is if the Big 12 dissolves and I think there is less of a chance of that happening than the MwC becoming a power conference. Is there other reasoning I'm missing? I also don't see TCU going back to the same conference they were all to eager to leave a few years ago unless there is some sort of major benefit.

---

I guess it depends on how you want to determine relevancy. UConn men have won 4 championships in the last 17 years. KU has won 3 in their history.

But whatever. It's just my opinion that Delaney is going to look East if he is looking for a basketball school. I have no inside information other than what he has been doing to gain viewership in the East and UConn is ripe to be picked. And the women's basketball team is icing on the cake.

I won't bitch if KU joins the B1G but I think there is a school better suited to Delaney's vision than them.

I totally agree with you about what direction Delaney has been pushing the B1G viewership (East) and I too would have no problem with KU or UConn. I really have no reason to even be in this thread as all this realignment talk just causes one to waste time speculating and we all know whatever is going to happen, will happen with or without our added comments. I guess we are in the off season, so here I am. :blink:

What makes you guys think the Mountain West has any chance at being one of the power conferences? The only way I see that being a possibility is if the Big 12 dissolves and I think there is less of a chance of that happening than the MwC becoming a power conference. Is there other reasoning I'm missing? I also don't see TCU going back to the same conference they were all to eager to leave a few years ago unless there is some sort of major benefit.

I don't see the MWC becoming a legit power. I see the Power 5 becoming the Power 4 with the Big 12 dissolving and some independents/AAC/MWC getting scooped up to make 4 18 team conferences.

It's ugly but that will be the direction, in my opinion