Recruiting Bigs

LINK

LINCOLN — Tim Miles doesn’t expect to add any Nebraska men’s basketball recruits on Wednesday, the first day of the spring signing period. But that doesn’t mean the Husker staff is low on prospects.

Sources with knowledge of the situation Friday said the Huskers are expecting visits from a 6-foot-11 high school center and a 6-8 junior college power forward, and have reached out to two Division I transfers — a 7-foot center from Drake and a 6-5 guard from Miami of Florida.

Miles can’t comment on individual prospects for what currently are two open scholarships.

“We’re hitting the road for evaluation dates, and making some home visits here and there,’’ he said Friday. “In fact, I have a meeting today on who is when, where and how.

• Fire 1

Dominik Olejniczak is the 7 foot guy from drake.. The 250 lb big man from Poland who has announced that he is transferring from Drake, averaged 6.1 points and 4.0 rebounds in 29 games during his freshman campaign. Shot 73.1% from the field and 67.6% from the line. Dominik will have 3 years of eligibility after sitting out one year.

• Fire 1

Dominik Olejniczak is the 7 foot guy from drake.. The 250 lb big man from Poland who has announced that he is transferring from Drake, averaged 6.1 points and 4.0 rebounds in 29 games during his freshman campaign. Shot 73.1% from the field and 67.6% from the line. Dominik will have 3 years of eligibility after sitting out one year.

I follow Goodman on Twitter and he's posting about grad and 'regular' transfers multiple times a day and I haven't seen one mention of Nebraska basketball. I'm atta loss for words on why we cannot get any 'big' to come to UNL. We have everything a player could want, except for probably the most important thing, a coach with the reputation of developing a big man so he gets look a sniff at playing pro ball.

If you can't recruit at least one big in 3 years, that may tell you something.

If you can't recruits big then you better recruit some damn good 3 point shooters. Spread the floor and play up tempo style.

x

I agree with this. You don't need a true big (now maybe Miles can't coach another way, I don't know) but get a "big" that is a 6'9 thicker cat...and press all game.

Does Nebraska basketball really have "everything a player could want"? Is there some noteworthy history of Husker basketball and 'bigs' looking to go to the pros?

From my (casual outsider's) perspective, you're starting with the disadvantages of location shared by the football program -- plus the disadvantages of no history shared by, let's say, the Iowa State football program.

Does Nebraska basketball really have "everything a player could want"? Is there some noteworthy history of Husker basketball and 'bigs' looking to go to the pros?

From my (casual outsider's) perspective, you're starting with the disadvantages of location shared by the football program -- plus the disadvantages of no history shared by, let's say, the Iowa State football program.

I understand what you are saying. However, we have been able to recruit every other position.

Why just this one is hard?

I understand what you are saying. However, we have been able to recruit every other position.

Why just this one is hard?

I think it is mostly just a numbers game...a true big...a good one...they are much harder to find than a bunch of wing type players.