Recruiting Bigs

Miles said he is re-evaluating his big-man recruiting philosophy.

“I ask myself what we have to do to attract big men,” he said. “Have we shot too high?”
These seven players’ statistics indicate Nebraska, instead of shooting too high, perhaps aimed at the wrong targets. Somewhere, there have to be big men who produce more than tiny point and rebound averages.
“You’ve got two options,” Miles said. “One, get a high-level player. Two, take a mid-level player and develop him. That’s where I look at whether we missed on mid-level centers to develop.
“Maybe I should just look at it as, ‘Let’s take this kid, develop him, and see what happens.’ Quite frankly, off the top of my head, I can’t name anybody I think we missed on to develop as a center.”

OWH

I think it's beyond argument that whatever we have been doing isn't working.

In Miles first year here, he mostly inherited five players 6-9 or taller (Ubel, Vucetic, Pitchford, Almeida and Kurkowski). Not all exactly quality contributors but still some to choose from.

We now have one (Hammond) who isn't even good enough to start despite his size advantage over everyone else on the team.

And this isn't exactly something to write home about:

He’s sporting a few more wrinkles coming off a third losing season in his four years at NU. That’s happened only twice since the early 1960s, under Barry Collier and Jerry Bush.

Anyone hear anything about Borchart and how he is developing?

The roster says 6'8" and 275lbs. I'm almost positive he is taller than that. I was taking around 6'9" - 6'10".

I've stood right next to him - not that it matters a lot when he's most of a foot taller - but I wouldn't say for sure he's taller than 6-8. He's a big boy but that seems right to me.

Anyone hear anything about Borchart and how he is developing?

The roster says 6'8" and 275lbs. I'm almost positive he is taller than that. I was taking around 6'9" - 6'10".

I've stood right next to him - not that it matters a lot when he's most of a foot taller - but I wouldn't say for sure he's taller than 6-8. He's a big boy but that seems right to me.

I've just seen him play against some kids that are 6'3" or 6'4" and he seemed like a mountain next to them.

I guess he would still be 4-5" taller. I'm sure Gothenburg would never have stretched him on the HS roster .......nooooooo.....

Can anyone tell me why we didn't recruit Mike Daum? He's the 6th man for SDSU and had a really nice year. I watched him play Maryland in the tournament. He went for 16 and 6. In the conference tournament he went for 26-8 15-8 18-9. Yes I know that's not the Big 10 but he's a freshman and I would think better than our bigs. Oh and he's from Kimball Nebraska

He's actually from Kimball.

Not sure on this. Maybe it's just because he always looked awkward to me but I watched him play several times in high school and I didn't think he was B1G material. Not that he doesn't have talent, I just wasn't convinced it would translate well. Different kind of player but I thought the same about Wes Eikmeier a few years ago - great high school player and solid lower-division college player but just doesn't quite fit in a Power 5 conference.

Not sure on this. Maybe it's just because he always looked awkward to me but I watched him play several times in high school and I didn't think he was B1G material. Not that he doesn't have talent, I just wasn't convinced it would translate well. Different kind of player but I thought the same about Wes Eikmeier a few years ago - great high school player and solid lower-division college player but just doesn't quite fit in a Power 5 conference.

My mistake on the town. I heard he was a lot bigger weight wise and the redshirt helped him out. Sure looked good in the game I watched but a ton of things can change from your senior year to two years in college

My mistake on the town. I heard he was a lot bigger weight wise and the redshirt helped him out. Sure looked good in the game I watched but a ton of things can change from your senior year to two years in college

The bolded part says most of it.

Fact is, from time to time a kid from out here is going to be overlooked. Especially when he may have been a little undersized coming out of HS.

Sounds like a kid whose body didn't fully mature till into his Freshman year in college.

I can relate to that.

Fact is, from time to time a kid from out here is going to be overlooked. Especially when he may have been a little undersized coming out of HS. Not too many college scouts are going to be traveling through the panhandle in Nebraska and he probably didn't play in many AAU tournaments.

Sounds like a kid whose body didn't fully mature till into his Freshman year in college.

I can relate to that.

Not sure if this guy is interested but a center from Ohio state is apparently transferring to a different school. I cant figure out how to get the link on here but ill give a quick synopsis of what I know.

Again not sure if he is interested in Nebraska but we'll see

He is 6'10 230 pounds

Averaged 3.8 points and 3.6 boards and 1.5 blocks per game

He is a freshman and he is from Georgia.

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-Giddens-reportedly-leaving-Ohio-State-44522517

here is the link I am not sure if it works, and after reading it again he just wants to be released from the school but I am pretty sure he wants to play elsewhere

Fact is, from time to time a kid from out here is going to be overlooked. Especially when he may have been a little undersized coming out of HS.

I can relate to that.

So you are saying he was undersized coming out of high school but fully matured by his Freshman year? How is that even possible, isn't that typically in the same calendar year? I supposed he could have waited a year before enrolling.