DT Tyler Shelvin [LSU - Signed LOI]

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_44307cdc-846f-11e7-b554-7f7111639373.html

Nose tackle Tyler Shelvin will enroll at LSU next week, but he won’t be eligible to play in 2017, his high school coach said Friday.

The NCAA at least partially denied Shelvin’s eligibility for this season, and the highly decorated nose tackle from Lafayette will use what coach Lewis Cook called an “academic redshirt” in 2017. He will be on scholarship and can practice with the team but cannot play in any games, said Cook, the longtime coach at Notre Dame in Crowley.

An LSU spokesman declined comment Friday night.

The NCAA denied Shelvin’s status several days ago, and the governing body shot down the school’s appeal this morning, Cook said. Cook was not completely sure why the NCAA denied Shelvin, a 6-foot-2, 380-pounder ranked the No. 1 player in the state in the 2017 class.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It was crazy how many of the DTs we were recruiting over the last two years had academic issues.

Ah.

I was impressed that when Held went to visit Maurice Washington in early January, the first thing he did was check his academics.  I would think this would be standard procedure for any coach, but apparently some do it more than others.

I realize we may still get burned by academic risks occasionally (Jaron Woodyard is already an example, though he probably still makes it), but I'm optimistic that this staff will not count on academic risks to fill an entire position for a recruiting year.  Use the +3 to account for guys that are questionable.

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Ah.

I was impressed that when Held went to visit Maurice Washington in early January, the first thing he did was check his academics.  I would think this would be standard procedure for any coach, but apparently some do it more than others.

I realize we may still get burned by academic risks occasionally (Jaron Woodyard is already an example, though he probably still makes it), but I'm optimistic that this staff will not count on academic risks to fill an entire position for a recruiting year.  Use the +3 to account for guys that are questionable.

Yeah, it's going to happen.  It's a risk/reward situation.

But it was particularly concentrated among the DTs we were recruiting in the 2017 class.  I seriously think over 50% of them had MAJOR academic issues.  And then, of course, the one we were recruiting for 2018.