The grain elevator/feed mill I work at is still using the hand written ticket system when we sell things like bags of feed.

I am looking for a computer program that would list inventory and allow you to enter a ticket on the computer, print out a ticket and have it automatically subtract what was sold from the inventory. I used to work in Lincoln at a place called VSA and they used an old black/green system called AS400. Something like that would work here, any suggestions?

That AS/400 system has been superseded by IBM i Series & now Power Systems. The green screen app could have been commercial but just as likely a custom piece of software. That was one of the big selling points of the AS/400...

It sounds like you are looking for Point of Sale (POS), Accounting, & Inventory management altogether. This is a huge space. I would think there would be some modern AgriBusiness software that would do the trick. The typical inventory software will not address a lot of the concerns with semi-perishable commodities such as grains if any of that is a factor (i.e. shrinkage, quality, spoilage, etc).

Below are some companies I know of around this space from doing work on commodities trading/systems. It's a tight-knit space so if their software is not a match they may refer you to a company that is...

agtrax
agvision software
control systems software
vertical software

If it's mostly basic POS & Inventory management, there are literally a million solutions out there and most of them suck equally. In my opinion, this space is more about which is the "least bad" product which varies by business. Compared to other software verticals, the price/performance here isn't what it should be. I predict a lot of google research in your future ;)

Stitch Labs does the Order & Inventory management for Square. Similarly, Revel Systems does the POS portion for Quick Books. Both seem pretty popular with SMB retailers and offer free trials. They are web-based/internet sales focused but I think they might be a good starting point.

A lot of the software in this space, especially desktop or client/server software hosted on your systems, is licensed with: a software license; annual maintenance; upgrade fee; and possibly service charge for hardware. There is often additional 3rd party software licensing on top of this (i.e. Windows O/S, DB Engine). Don't forget about backups... That's one of the reasons why web-based, flat-monthly fee has been such an easy sell.

Hopefully somebody else can point you to a specific solution if this does not help ;)

• Fire 1