SIGNED - DT Deontre Thomas

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It will be interesting to see what happens to his ratings when the other services finally get to him. Obviously there are some major college coaches that see good talent.

This guy seems to look the part as well. He seems pretty underrated to me. A lot of the 300lb guys at the high school level carry a lot of bad weight and succeed because they are bigger than everyone else and can push ppl around. They don't necessarily do that well at the next level and are hard to project. I like is going after a kid like this who is 260/270 and who shows a lot of strength, quick fire off the line, and a high motor. He seems to have good pad level and a relentless pursuit to the whistle which are what will help him at that next level. If he misses, he doesn't lay on the ground, he quickly gets up and goes and gets his guy down. I love the hustle here.

I bet his weight is right about 260 or 270. His HS tape reminds me a bit of ol' Maliek Collins. In how explosive he is, and how well he can use great leverage to knock blockers off their path. Only difference in film is Thomas is playing much better competition, so he isnt quite as dominant as Maliek was in his film.

DT is one of the hardest positions to evaluate and rank, is it not? He'll have to hit a summer circuit of camps to showcase skill and then prove it in the fall before any significant bump really happens. As far as talent evaluation goes, I trust the coaching staff and the evaluators behind the scenes (guys like Billy Devaney and his department) to target particular prospects and bring them aboard. If they say he's good enough to accept his commitment, that's all I need. Lock him up, Coach P!

It will be interesting to see what happens to his ratings when the other services finally get to him. Obviously there are some major college coaches that see good talent.

This guy seems to look the part as well. He seems pretty underrated to me. A lot of the 300lb guys at the high school level carry a lot of bad weight and succeed because they are bigger than everyone else and can push ppl around. They don't necessarily do that well at the next level and are hard to project. I like is going after a kid like this who is 260/270 and who shows a lot of strength, quick fire off the line, and a high motor. He seems to have good pad level and a relentless pursuit to the whistle which are what will help him at that next level. If he misses, he doesn't lay on the ground, he quickly gets up and goes and gets his guy down. I love the hustle here.

I bet his weight is right about 260 or 270. His HS tape reminds me a bit of ol' Maliek Collins. In how explosive he is, and how well he can use great leverage to knock blockers off their path. Only difference in film is Thomas is playing much better competition, so he isnt quite as dominant as Maliek was in his film.

I thought the same thing. He can already bench 350 and squat 530 and he's a JR in high school. Looking at the pic he posted with him and Parella on the field together, he looks very firm and fit, not any bad weight on him. I really like the potential this kid has.

Some of that could depend on if he does any recruiting service camps this summer. Don't go to those, tougher to get the higher rating...

I think he will get a ratings bump just purely on his offers that he has been getting as of late. Recruiting services have so many kids to evaluate and its impossible to take a good look at all of them. They use camps as one great measure, but it also seems that as a guy starts getting more offers his rating increases too. In the next few weeks or so I bet he gets a bump in ratings based off his offers.

I think he will get a ratings bump just purely on his offers that he has been getting as of late. Recruiting services have so many kids to evaluate and its impossible to take a good look at all of them. They use camps as one great measure, but it also seems that as a guy starts getting more offers his rating increases too. In the next few weeks or so I bet he gets a bump in ratings based off his offers.

Yes....ratings services do look at offers to help rate a player.

I thought the same thing. He can already bench 350 and squat 530 and he's a JR in high school. Looking at the pic he posted with him and Parella on the field together, he looks very firm and fit, not any bad weight on him. I really like the potential this kid has.

Wait...are those Bench and Squat numbers legit...the Boyd Way?

In Mike Riley vs. Jim Harbaugh, new Nebraska assistant might win

By Sam McKewon / World-Herald Bureau POSTED: WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27, 2016 12:00 AM

LINCOLN — A Saturday recruiting showdown between Nebraska’s Mike Riley and Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh looms, according to multiple recruiting reports.
The Huskers and Wolverines appear to be the two finalists for defensive tackle Deontre Thomas out of Mustang, Oklahoma.
<snip>
Nebraska has pummeled Thomas with attention, including a boatload of handwritten notes last week to Thomas’ house. (Thomas' hs coach) Dombeck knows a little about Nebraska, having played quarterback at Wyoming. His first start: The 1994 game in Lincoln when Brook Berringer collapsed a lung. Dombeck and the Cowboys put a scare into the Huskers that day in a 42-32 loss. Dombeck threw for 264 yards and a pair of touchdowns. “The fans were special,” Dombeck said. “They cheered us coming off the field because we gave Nebraska such a great game.”
Thomas' coach was the QB for Wyoming in 1994 when they gave us a run for the money in Memorial Stadium. Small world, huh?
  • Fire 1