Amy Williams New WBB Coach

The University of Nebraska has hired Amy Williams as its new Head Women’s Basketball Coach, Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst announced today. Williams will be formally introduced at a press conference on Tuesday, April 12 at 10:00 am in the lobby of the Hendricks Training Complex.

Williams is a Spearfish, South Dakota native who played at Nebraska from 1994-1998 and graduated in 1998 with a degree in biology and mathematics. As a head coach, Amy has built a women’s basketball program from scratch into a national contender and led teams to Conference Championships, a NCAA tournament berth and the 2016 WNIT Championship.
Williams comes to Nebraska with 18 years of coaching experience, including nine years as a Head Coach, first at Rogers State University where she started the women’s basketball program and led the program to back-to-back NAIA national tournament appearances. The last four seasons she has served as the Head Coach at South Dakota, where she has led the team to two regular season Summit League championships, one Summit League tournament championship, and the 2016 WNIT Championship, while posting an overall record of 96-44 (.686).

Huskers.com

I think this is a great hire. I really think she is a really big up and comer as a WBB coach and could have easily gotten a head job at a WBB program with a much higher prestige than NU. I think she can take us to that next level and have us in the talk every year as a contender.

Following Amy Williams during her 4 years at USD I am confident saying she will be successful at UNL. If there is any reason for uncertainty it would be that she never fielded a team comprised entirely of her own recruits at USD - this year's senior class that led the team to the WNIT title was entirely holdovers from the previous staff. That being said the underclassmen she did recruit seem to hold their own and the bench contributed very consistently to the team.

Interesting. So often we hear the horrors of multiyear contracts but sometimes it works in our favor.

Within the past month or so South Dakota finally caught up to the other 49 and now allows state employees to have multi-year contracts. Just in time to let the face of USD's most successful program leave without a buyout of any kind.

As an alumnus of USD and a fan of both schools, I am both saddened and happy about this hire. As odd as it may seem, South Dakota's WBB team were the ones to finally motivate and awaken the fan base to come out with an overwhelming response during the WNIT tournament. Brilliant move by Herbster to make strong bids and keep the games at home.

Williams fostered pride with her on-court success, recruiting acumen (not always an easy school to recruit to) and really, her personality. She has high standards and works hard, but her players are very close to her as well. You can see it in interviews, press conferences, and on the court. She gives and gets back respect.

She will be missed.... But lucky for me I can continue to cheer for her teams! Great hire!

• Fire 3