Thurston Not Returning to Team - Transferring to Colorado State

Obviously the coaches don't agree.

Until this staff gets a couple games better than .500, anything and everything they think do, or say is going to be subject to debate. Nothing stifles dissent like success, and the lack of success produces a bumper crop of dissent and second guessing. That's not just being a coach, it also goes with being president of the United States, a general, a CEO, a fishing guide, or spouse/parent. Get doused with Gatorade and hoist a trophy and this all disappears. Lose to Illinois and Purdue, human nature kicks in to high gear. Nature of the beast.

Since Cavanaugh doesn't believe in rotating people in and out, it is probably a smart move for anybody not going to start to look for another place to play. That's one facet of this new coaching staff which I don't agree on either, since rotating fresh bodies in to wear down the defense worked for that one guy who finally stifled a lot of dissent when he was coaching at Nebraska.

• Fire 2

Im really hoping Decker comes on strong this fall. Think he could be a really good center. Sure are getting rid of some schollies.

Decker was impressive.

Haven't seen a push like that from our O-line in many, many years. Granted, it was against the 2nd team defense, but so is every spring game. Coming off a fairly dominant showing in the bowl game, things are looking up for the offensive line.

Obviously the coaches don't agree.

Until this staff gets a couple games better than .500, anything and everything they think do, or say is going to be subject to debate. Nothing stifles dissent like success, and the lack of success produces a bumper crop of dissent and second guessing. That's not just being a coach, it also goes with being president of the United States, a general, a CEO, a fishing guide, or spouse/parent. Get doused with Gatorade and hoist a trophy and this all disappears. Lose to Illinois and Purdue, human nature kicks in to high gear. Nature of the beast.

Since Cavanaugh doesn't believe in rotating people in and out, it is probably a smart move for anybody not going to start to look for another place to play. That's one facet of this new coaching staff which I don't agree on either, since rotating fresh bodies in to wear down the defense worked for that one guy who finally stifled a lot of dissent when he was coaching at Nebraska.

i agree, Cav's approach is you win the job and play all year or your ass rides the pine......platooning help you stay fresh and develop players for the future....just his NFL philosophy.

Cav's philosophy is not unique. It's the philosophy of most teams at all levels, not just the NFL. Feel free to watch the championship game from last year and notice how little Alabama was subbing on the offensive line.

The NFL is just the best example of how the arguments for "platooning" don't hold up.

• Fire 1

The NFL roster is 53. This is major reason for lack of platooning. Also, most games are fairly close and you want your best guys in as much as possible. Tends to be larger difference between first and second teamers because of monetary and cap reasons.

College has much larger rosters, talent gaps tend to be much closer, and usually a handful of games where winning margin is fairly large. I just dont buy into reason for not rotating at least some in college.

• Fire 3
Feel free to watch the championship game from last year and notice how little Alabama was subbing on the offensive line.

Yeah, thanks, but I have seen a few national championship teams myself that did sub, and I daresay those offensive lines were better than Alabama's.

If you are under 40 years old, you can be forgiven.

The NFL roster is 53. This is major reason for lack of platooning.

Also, most games are fairly close and you want your best guys in as much as possible. Tends to be larger difference between first and second teamers because of monetary and cap reasons.

College has much larger rosters, talent gaps tend to be much closer, and usually a handful of games where winning margin is fairly large. I just dont buy into reason for not rotating at least some in college.

Most of our games were fairly close last season, as I recall.

Plenty of reserve offensive lineman played when we went up big on South Alabama. So this narrative that Cav always keeps all the starters in no matter what is demonstrably false.

This explains why our 2nd team got so many reps at the end of games in the 90s (as Bowfin alluded to). It's not like TO was taking out his top unit just because.

• Fire 1