S C.J. Smith [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

20 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Smith commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 09:45 PM

27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's the odd thing about the qualification questions for both Mapieu and Smith (Smith is only speculation as far as I've seen).  Their GPA won't change between now and NSD.  And the next ACT/SAT test dates aren't until after NSD.  So other than showing effort, there isn't anything the coaches are really going to know about them qualifying until after NSD.

So it will be interesting to see how they are handled.

I've said this on here a few times. They don't have to sign LOI's in order to get scholarships. I wonder if we don't sign others and then if/when they qualify we deal with getting them in school and onto scholarship at that point in the summer. Especially with expected transfers post spring supposedly opening up a few scholarships.

Edited by seaofred92
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

I've said this on here a few times. They don't have to sign LOI's in order to get scholarships. I wonder if we don't sign others and then if/when they qualify we deal with getting them in school and onto scholarship at that point in the summer. Especially with expected transfers post spring supposedly opening up a few scholarships.

Good point, never thought of that! If Smith/Masry haven't qualified yet we can wait and add them after the spring transfers (which will happen).  

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

That's the odd thing about the qualification questions for both Mapieu and Smith (Smith is only speculation as far as I've seen).  Their GPA won't change between now and NSD.  And the next ACT/SAT test dates aren't until after NSD.  So other than showing effort, there isn't anything the coaches are really going to know about them qualifying until after NSD.

So it will be interesting to see how they are handled.

How transparent can their teachers be with the coaching staff or if they can at all? 

5 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

I'm sure they can tell them current grades, but they'll only be 1 month into the semester by NSD so not sure it'd help much. 

Actually, FERPA would not let them disclose current grades unless the student's guardian allowed it.  I'm sure the high school coaches could get that info and share it secretly, but it is illegal.  Plus, as you stated, the grade in early February has very little bearing on earning credits.  At this point, I would guess they are waiting on ACT results and minimum scores.  His 7 cores are in already (have to have them before beginning of senior year).  He must have not had a high enough GPA to qualify with those, so they needed to load his schedule both semesters to qualify.  If you are this far in and not qualified, chances are you won't.

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Actually, FERPA would not let them disclose current grades unless the student's guardian allowed it.  I'm sure the high school coaches could get that info and share it secretly, but it is illegal.  Plus, as you stated, the grade in early February has very little bearing on earning credits.  At this point, I would guess they are waiting on ACT results and minimum scores.  His 7 cores are in already (have to have them before beginning of senior year).  He must have not had a high enough GPA to qualify with those, so they needed to load his schedule both semesters to qualify.  If you are this far in and not qualified, chances are you won't.

Thanks for the additional info. 

• 2 weeks later...