September 17, 2016

This could be a very big day not only for the impact it will have on this season but also the impact it will have on the confidence of players, coaches, and potential recruits. This day could have a big impact on many levels.

1.) Mike Riley could get a small piece of revenge on his nemesis big brother school that haunted him for many years. A win would validate that not only Mike Riley can win a big game against a good team, but also that with the right personnel he can beat a team that has most certainly made much of his coaching career more stressful. A small piece of revenge would certainly be a feel good moment for Riley.

2.) Using the Stanford approach. In recent years Stanford has had the Ducks number by using a game plan of pure smash mouth football. Using a big offensive line to wear on the smaller Ducks defenders all game has proven to be a successful plan for Stanford in their match ups with Oregon. Nebraska fans would love nothing more than to see our offense put up a UCLA-esque game against the Ducks on September 17. This would also give us a better idea on what we have with a much unproven offensive line. It would also most certainly give that offensive line some confidence going forward into B1G play.

3.) This, in my opinion, would be the biggest win for Nebraska football in a LONG time. Last year against Michigan State was nice, but upsets happen. While Michigan State made the playoff last year, I don't think nationally they have the perception that Oregon has. Beating Oregon, a PAC-12 team, would do a lot for Nebraska in terms of national perception and exactly where this program can go in the coming years.

4.) Finally, maybe the most important part of the day: The Future. There will be loads of talent at this game and I have no doubt that Memorial Stadium will be electric. That helps with recruiting for sure, but it also helps if the product on the field shows that they can beat a West Coast team that many on the sidelines are being courted by. Make this a memorable day on the field, and the impact in recruiting can help advance this program into the future with even more elite talent.

Now, having said all that, if Nebraska goes out and loses a hard fought game to a talented Oregon football I don't believe that these things can't still happen. It also doesn't mean that our season is over and we have nothing to strive towards. I'm just simply pointing out the scale on which this one game can impact this program for years to come if we have a memorable win in front of the 350th consecutive sellout at Memorial Stadium.

This could be a very big day not only for the impact it will have on this season but also the impact it will have on the confidence of players, coaches, and potential recruits. This day could have a big impact on many levels.

1.) Mike Riley could get a small piece of revenge on his nemesis big brother school that haunted him for many years. A win would validate that not only Mike Riley can win a big game against a good team, but also that with the right personnel he can beat a team that has most certainly made much of his coaching career more stressful. A small piece of revenge would certainly be a feel good moment for Riley.

2.) Using the Stanford approach. In recent years Stanford has had the Ducks number by using a game plan of pure smash mouth football. Using a big offensive line to wear on the smaller Ducks defenders all game has proven to be a successful plan for Stanford in their match ups with Oregon. Nebraska fans would love nothing more than to see our offense put up a UCLA-esque game against the Ducks on September 17. This would also give us a better idea on what we have with a much unproven offensive line. It would also most certainly give that offensive line some confidence going forward into B1G play.

3.) This, in my opinion, would be the biggest win for Nebraska football in a LONG time. Last year against Michigan State was nice, but upsets happen. While Michigan State made the playoff last year, I don't think nationally they have the perception that Oregon has. Beating Oregon, a PAC-12 team, would do a lot for Nebraska in terms of national perception and exactly where this program can go in the coming years.

4.) Finally, maybe the most important part of the day: The Future. There will be loads of talent at this game and I have no doubt that Memorial Stadium will be electric. That helps with recruiting for sure, but it also helps if the product on the field shows that they can beat a West Coast team that many on the sidelines are being courted by. Make this a memorable day on the field, and the impact in recruiting can help advance this program into the future with even more elite talent.

Now, having said all that, if Nebraska goes out and loses a hard fought game to a talented Oregon football I don't believe that these things can't still happen. It also doesn't mean that our season is over and we have nothing to strive towards. I'm just simply pointing out the scale on which this one game can impact this program for years to come if we have a memorable win in front of the 350th consecutive sellout at Memorial Stadium.

Stanford's approach offensively really has very little to do with beating Oregon. Stanford's smashmouth style is just what they do. When Stanford wins that game they shut Oregon's offense down. The key to beating Oregon's offense is getting penatration up the field and disrumpting Oregon's offense before it gets going. That is almost impossible to do for a whole game. Secondly you have to make them settle for field goals.

Their defense couldn't stop anyone last year, but you have to slow down their offense.

No doubt it will be a big game and assuming Oregon fields a strong team that wins 10 or 11 games and a majority by a goodly margin in "oregon style' , then it will prove to be a great program building kind of win. Of course, if Oregon proves to be another somewhat disappointing team in 2016, then maybe the win will get discounted by the national pundits, etc. For the Huskers to get the national respect and recognition we long for, we will have to EARN it the old fashioned way - by winning and winning a lot! We need to win 11 games and play impressively against almost everybody we play. No messing around with teams we're heavily favored over and playing tough in the 'big' games. We need to put up some big offensive numbers and play Blackshirts' quality defense. A couple shut outs will be needed and top 30 level stats as well. Clean, hard nosed "Nebraska" football is what will be needed. Certainly, we can throw the ball and get two thirds of our yards and points by throwing but we need 200 plus PER GAME rusing it with a couple TDs on the ground per game.

I we finish September unbeaten and winning convincingly, then we are well on our way but any serious let downs will reverse the gains in national image quickly.

Stanford has Oregon's number? Stanford has won 4 games vs Oregon since the turn of the century. They won back to back games in 2012 and 2013 when Oregon was gunning for natty berths. That's not having someone's number.

Stanford has Oregon's number? Stanford has won 4 games vs Oregon since the turn of the century. They won back to back games in 2012 and 2013 when Oregon was gunning for natty berths. That's not having someone's number.

Oh sorry didn't mean to hit a nerve. What I guess I should have said was that Stanford has figured out a formula to beat Oregon that a lot of other teams haven't.

And if you don't think Stanfords physical nature doesn't disrupt Oregons game plan you're crazy. They dictate time, number of plays Oregons offense runs, and the ability for Oregon to play from ahead and use their spread rushing attack forcing them to throw more than they probably want to.

• Fire 2

A few things: first, I too think an approach similar to how the team took on UCLA this past season is a good approach. Power football is difficult for a lot of teams to defend - it also helps shorten the game. Success running the ball and trying to disrupt their timing when they're offense is on the field will be two of the biggest keys, imo.

In terms of where this ranks on the list of biggest recent games (particularly if they win), that's a bit more difficult. I'm not sure all of who is planning to be here for this game, and while it very well could be a bigger recruiting game, last year's MSU game was pretty critical for recruiting as well. The staff saved a lot of their OV's for that game and a lot of the players they eventually got commitments out of went to that game. Upset or not, there's a decent chance a loss in the game stymies the moment they ended the season with, and they may not have the momentum they have right now in recruiting. Difficult to say.

That leads me to my final point which is how the team performs overall next season. While a victory against Oregon would be huge, it certainly loses a bit of luster if the team somehow manages to win only 6-7 games. Similarly, a loss against Oregon, but a nice 9-10 win season (or better) could still be a very good thing for recruiting.