WR DeVonta Smith - [Alabama - Signed LOI]

JJkinz

HuskerBoard Predictor  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Devonta Smith
Hometown: Amite, Louisiana
School: Amite
Position: Wide Receiver
Height: 6-1
Weight: 160
40 time: 4.49
Offers: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, East Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kansas, LSU, Marshall, Miami, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas-San Antonio

Visits:

Twitter

247 Composite: #65 Overall; #10 WR; .9681; :star :star :star :star

Rivals: #41 Overall; #8 WR; :star :star :star :star
247: #13 Overall; #3 WR; :star :star :star :star :star
Scout: #21 Overall; #2 WR; :star :star :star :star :star
ESPN: #234 Overall; #31 WR; :star :star :star :star

Hudl

• Fire 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, that's pretty cool. This would be a little bit out of left field, as there have been other big names tossed around at the WR position. But how could anyone not want to play for KW?

Nebraska is a prime destination for top HS WRs right now. Sweet.

Wow, that's pretty cool. This would be a little bit out of left field, as there have been other big names tossed around at the WR position. But how could anyone not want to play for KW?

Nebraska is a prime destination for top HS WRs right now. Sweet.

Nebraska hasn't be an option/run-heavy football team in quite some time, but the bold statement above still blows my mind....

• 2 weeks later...

From Husker Journal:

JULY 10 2016. ALL TEAMS MESSAGE BOARDS DEVONTA SMITH , WR, 6-1, 170, AMITE, LOUISIANA

Devonta Smith lists mostly southern schools in his final 4. Nebraska which made the cut needs a visit from Smith before August 15th is when Smith makes his decision.

Summer visits on his list.

“He has about 4 (teams) that are his top schools. I know Miami, Alabama, Mississippi State and Nebraska are listed. I know he’s been up to ‘Bama. I think he is going to Miami and I think he is going to try to visit those others before the summer is out.” Said Zephaniah Powell head coach at Amite high school.

“Right now he is at Oregon for The Opening. Oregon offered him way back in December. I don’t think he will have time to visit the campus, just the camp.” Powell said

Davonta Smith actually committed to Georgia his sophomore year when Coach Mark Richt was their head coach. Now that Richt is coaching at Miami Smith is considering the ‘Canes.

“Faith base coach.”

“Coach Richt is very faith base coach. Very high on his Christian values. Coach Ron Dugans is recruiting him, who actually trained one of our receivers at Florida State in the mid 90’s. Of course location is going to be a big factor.” Powell said

“With their (Miami) tradition as well. In the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s Miami was a powerhouse. He’s very intrigued about that.”

Alabama recruited Smith in the 8th grade. Likes the intense practices and structure of the program.

“I would say tradition, the coaching staff; they have been recruiting Devonta since he was in the 8th grade. Coach Nick Saban, they run everything like the NFL organization. He loves the structure, loves what Lane Kiffin is doing offensively. He is very in tuned what they are doing at Alabama.” Powell said

Mississippi State.

“I think how their receivers play,” Coach Powell explains what Devonta likes about Mississippi State. “And also it’s not too far from home as well. The position coach there (Greg Knox), the guy is recruiting him hard. And it’s close to home too.”

Nebraska’s as a top choice also has everybody buzzing for the five star wide out.

“To be honest with you as of right now I have no idea with that.” When asked what behind Nebraska’s attraction.” I just know the position coach there (Keith Williams) is recruiting him. He came in and really opened Devonta’s eyes to Nebraska.”

“I know also with their (Nebraska) tradition too. With championships, Coach (Tom) Osborne. A lot of players are playing in the NFL now from Nebraska, especially Ndamukong Suh. He’s kind of intrigued by Nebraska. I think he wants to get out there to see what they have to offer.” Powell said

cornhead.gif
  • 6 months later...