The General Election

What's interesting about the link you posted is when you drill down further and see about a 20 point difference in favor of Sanders over Trump. If the Democrats could somehow convince Bernie to run as VP, they could start measuring the Oval Office for furniture tomorrow.

350 million people and this is the best we can come up with. Our system is broken :flush

Yup. No doubt thanks are needed for Citizens United, unabashed and unapologetic gerrymandering, and the de-evolution of news outlets into partisan echo chambers.

• Fire 1

I just spent some time on "Bernie Sanders Dank Meme Stash" Facebook page.

I'm not a Bernie supporter, but it is downright scary that many people think these posts are from real Bernie supporters. And then they equate actual Bernie supporters with complete whackjobs. I'm sure there are similar pages dedicated to Trump and Hillary. The fact is, there are a large poplulation of truly ignorant people and they help play a role in how these elections go. A two party system has it's flaws, but if we could actually approach it with common sense and some simple fact-checking it would work much better. VectorVictor nailed it, the "news" has done nothing to combat this, hell they've only seemed to inflame it!

And BRI, in Nebraska I switch parties depending on the primary. Switching "allegiances" on a whim and the internet is also "liberating" :) And a lot of fun when friends say something like, "you Dems are all the same" and I respond with, "but I'm a Republican...", or vice versa.

You know what I did the other day? I renewed my driver's license and updated my voter registration and changed my political party to none..............god it's liberating! :lol:

Welcome to the land of sanity.

Good to have another brother among us.

You know what I did the other day? I renewed my driver's license and updated my voter registration and changed my political party to none..............god it's liberating! :lol:

Welcome to the land of sanity.

Good to have another brother among us.

I recently changed my voter registration to non-partisan as well. So for yesterday's election here in Lincoln, I was only presented with two questions - neither of which included the words "Donald" or "Hillary." Efficiency at its finest!

By my posts, you know I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm also a conservative and will not vote for Hillary. So 'I ain't got a dog in this fight' other than to say I'm pro-America and want the best person possible for this country.

But I'm going to make a not so bold prediction (since I could flip a coin and get the same answer 50% of the time). I get a gut feeling that Trump is going to pull this off and will be our next president. As posted many times before, I don't think he has the temperament or experience to be our president.

I base this on the following:

1. Hillary's negatives are almost as about as bad as Trumps

2. The repubs have a universal dislike for Hillary (except for a few establishment types who say they will voter for her)

3. The dems don't necessarily have a universal dislike for Trump, but the large Sander voting block doesn't like Hillary either and may stay home

4. I think there will be more anti-dem Hillary's staying home than Anti-trump conservatives

5. Both the Sander Dems and the anti-establishment Repubs (Cruz and Trump supporters) want change. Hillary won't be seen as a change agent.

6. I don't think the liberal Sander voters will vote for Trump (as noted above, I think they stay home) but I think there will be more moderates moving towards him - those old Reagan blue dog dems - union workers, middle class, patriotic

7. Trump's garbage isn't sticking to him. People want change regardless.

8. Hillary's garbage is getting old - replay of the 1990s, her tenure as SOS, Foundation fund raising, and the FBI email probe could end up being the lid that seals that garbage can and seal her chances.

By my posts, you know I'm not a Trump supporter. I'm also a conservative and will not vote for Hillary. So 'I ain't got a dog in this fight' other than to say I'm pro-America and want the best person possible for this country.

But I'm going to make a not so bold prediction (since I could flip a coin and get the same answer 50% of the time). I get a gut feeling that Trump is going to pull this off and will be our next president. As posted many times before, I don't think he has the temperament or experience to be our president.

2. The repubs have a universal dislike for Hillary (except for a few establishment types who say they will voter for her)

3. The dems don't necessarily have a universal dislike for Trump, but the large Sander voting block doesn't like Hillary either and may stay home

4. I think there will be more anti-dem Hillary's staying home than Anti-trump conservatives

5. Both the Sander Dems and the anti-establishment Repubs (Cruz and Trump supporters) want change. Hillary won't be seen as a change agent.

6. I don't think the liberal Sander voters will vote for Trump (as noted above, I think they stay home) but I think there will be more moderates moving towards him - those old Reagan blue dog dems - union workers, middle class, patriotic

8. Hillary's garbage is getting old - replay of the 1990s, her tenure as SOS, Foundation fund raising, and the FBI email probe could end up being the lid that seals that garbage can and seal her chances.

Well, it's going to be interesting.

Like you, I don't have a dog in the fight.

However, I just don't see Trump pulling this off. He has alienated way too many people other than angry white men.

Close to 80% of women claim they absolutely won't vote for him. That's roughly 80% of 50% of our population right there.

Then, you tack on probably about the same amount or more of the hispanic vote absolutely won't vote for him.

Now, I do agree that there is a certain group of blue collar union type workers that for some reason he appeals to and some of those will be Dems.

But, with all the people that really really don't like the guy, I just can't see where he comes up with a majority.

• Fire 2

Well, it's going to be interesting.

Like you, I don't have a dog in the fight.

However, I just don't see Trump pulling this off. He has alienated way too many people other than angry white men.

Close to 80% of women claim they absolutely won't vote for him. That's roughly 80% of 50% of our population right there.

Then, you tack on probably about the same amount or more of the hispanic vote absolutely won't vote for him.

Now, I do agree that there is a certain group of blue collar union type workers that for some reason he appeals to and some of those will be Dems.

But, with all the people that really really don't like the guy, I just can't see where he comes up with a majority.

It will be tough - I don't know of any other candidate in history who started wt those high negatives and pulled it off. His one saving grace is that Hillary's negatives are not that much different. There are also a lot of women who don't like her. Now will those women hold their nose and vote for Trump - that may be a hard sell. Boy we sure are at the bottom of the barrel on this one or maybe the bottom of the :flush

On what do you base numbers 3 and 4?

As to number 3, I can't think of a single Democrat that has expressed anything but contempt for Trump, and see in him someone that embodies the very antitheses of what that party believes. As to number 4, an equally likely - or perhaps more likely - scenario is that Sanders supporters, being denied their first choice, will swarm the polling stations to vote for someone, and that they will go for Hillary as at least the lesser of two evils - they will see in Trump someone that isn't an agent of change, but one that cannot form coalitions, articulate coherent plans, take the same position on an issue twice running, and is dismissive of women and minorities. Particularly if Sanders throws his support to Hillary after losing at the convention, I see Sanders' supporters flocking to Hillary.

• Fire 1

Every day that goes by, Trump is gaining momentum and Hillary slips further down. The chances are well above 50% now that her legal issues are getting worse. The chances that the FBI and a grand jury are going to clear her of wrongdoing at this 'late' hour drop as each day passes. The investigation is NOT complicated but because of the scope and volume of her apparent violations (30,000 emails and an illegal or unauthorized private server and private parties operating the same, many individuals involved, etc., and individuals with immunity grants in return for testimony and evidenciary cooperations) all suggest the FBI is encircling her. She has not been interrogated YET because they want to get all the facts and statements and corroboration of the same BEFORE she is questioned. Her likely FALSE statements in response to their anticipated questions will catch her in serious criminal activity. Giving false statements to the FBI is criminal activity in addition to the negligent handling of government information, etc. She has apparently many thousands of violations of numerous federal statutes. There is just no "ignorance is my defense" excuse. Mere possession of government documents outside the office and government computers/files is CRIMINAL! She knows it and was trained on it as well as did training of others herself.

It seems inconceivable, no matter how 'slick' she thinks she may be, that she can avoid indictment.

Here's another way of looking at it.

Basically, he is a Dem running as a Republican. So, you have this group of people who support him that I can't for the life of me figure out if they are Republicans or Democrats.

I see a lot of people who are sitting around in this election wondering what the hell are they going to do as far as voting. However, with all her warts, I see Clinton being able to appeal to more of those undecideds than Trump. Trump will continue to be his brash disrespectful jerk and that will appeal to a certain crowd (I have no idea why). But, from there, the going is going to be very very tough.

Clinton's warts have been there for a very long time, everybody knows them, it's old news. I can't imagine anything that Trump is going to say that is just going to shock people into voting for him instead of her.

In other words, I believe he will turn more of the undecideds off than on. Thus, Hillary wins be default because there won't be anyone else for those people to go to.

She will have 80% of the women and let's say 45% of the men. That's a win for her.

Every day that goes by, Trump is gaining momentum and Hillary slips further down. The chances are well above 50% now that her legal issues are getting worse. The chances that the FBI and a grand jury are going to clear her of wrongdoing at this 'late' hour drop as each day passes. The investigation is NOT complicated but because of the scope and volume of her apparent violations (30,000 emails and an illegal or unauthorized private server and private parties operating the same, many individuals involved, etc., and individuals with immunity grants in return for testimony and evidenciary cooperations) all suggest the FBI is encircling her. She has not been interrogated YET because they want to get all the facts and statements and corroboration of the same BEFORE she is questioned. Her likely FALSE statements in response to their anticipated questions will catch her in serious criminal activity. Giving false statements to the FBI is criminal activity in addition to the negligent handling of government information, etc. She has apparently many thousands of violations of numerous federal statutes. There is just no "ignorance is my defense" excuse. Mere possession of government documents outside the office and government computers/files is CRIMINAL! She knows it and was trained on it as well as did training of others herself.

It seems inconceivable, no matter how 'slick' she thinks she may be, that she can avoid indictment.

What are you basing this on?