DirectTV at a tailgate.

anyone use your direct tv at a tailgate?

What kind of set up do you use?

How do you set it up?

do you use your home boxes?

Can i buy they same satellite dish i have at my house and use it with one of my home boxes?

Yes, I have.

Setting it up on my own I used the same satellite and brought a box from home and it was a freaking NIGHTMARE for me.

The last spot I was at I just had to bring a box and the cable and they had the dishes set up...it was amazing!

Yes, but I have Dish. We got the Tailgater satellite and receiver. Holy sh#t!! Absolute best investment I've ever made for tailgating. But, we tailgate a lot. Almost every home game. When we first started we just brought our home receiver and bought a dish that we had to set up and aim. I about lost my f'ing mind so many times. Lets just say that dish became a frisbee a couple times.

But if you are more patient than me then yes, you can bring your home receiver and just buy a dish like you have at home and get a stand and point it. We did get fairly good at pointing it eventually, but just that time now and then we had trouble was so aggravating. You don't get much tailgating done when you are spending most of the time trying to point the dish.

I agree with teach. Setting up a dish manually and getting it pointed correctly sucks a big one. There are self correcting satellites out there but they are costly. If you're going to do it manually buy a good inline signal finder to help you out. Also, get a good tripod and sandbags/some type of weight to hold the legs in place. Do as many dry runs as you can at home for getting a signal. Then everything changes come gameday and you're in your spot. Do you have a clear line-of-sight to the South at your spot?

We tailgate once a year and we park at the ball fields at haymarket. We normally have a good clear line of sight south. Thanks for the help. I figure I can write the numbers down that my home dish is set at and go from there. My plan was to buy an inline signal finder And testing it out at home is a good idea.

Just one more question. You live in a house and not an apartment, right? A box you'd normally get if you live in an aparment is an MDU(multi dwelling unit) box and won't work as a stand alone box for tailgating. Just want to save you any headache if that's the case. If not then good luck!

Yes, but I have Dish. We got the Tailgater satellite and receiver. Holy sh#t!! Absolute best investment I've ever made for tailgating. But, we tailgate a lot. Almost every home game. When we first started we just brought our home receiver and bought a dish that we had to set up and aim. I about lost my f'ing mind so many times. Lets just say that dish became a frisbee a couple times.

But if you are more patient than me then yes, you can bring your home receiver and just buy a dish like you have at home and get a stand and point it. We did get fairly good at pointing it eventually, but just that time now and then we had trouble was so aggravating. You don't get much tailgating done when you are spending most of the time trying to point the dish.

Ha! Nothing like trying to set up that dish in 100 degree weather!

I will never try it again and I have heard the Tailgater is AMAZING!

Like I said though, we just got a spot that had it all set up for us...we just needed to plug it in.