Tweeting Recruits

It had nothing to do with any fans. The TAMU receivers coach went on a Twitter rant and basically called them all out. So his decision is based on what a coach said, not any fans.

Obviously the coach was an idiot. However, the tweet says..."and fans".

Fans have absolutely no place in interacting with recruits on social media even if it is positive.

Seems like the discussion of following recruits on twitter needs its own thread. The kids love all the attention that our fans show them on twitter and it has a positive influence on recruiting. That is a good thing. Then a couple fans say something stupid and now everyone needs to stop tweeting recruits. That is a bad thing. Those who follow and tweet at players are called out for stalking players and how weird it is to follow recruits and tweet on twitter. The same people that call out the tweeters are on a message board hiding behind an anonymous handle calling out current players, coaches, former coaches, kids who need an offer, and kids who dont deserve an offer. Seems a bit hypocritical.

I personally do not tweet at recruits or even have a twitter account anymore, but I dont think it is much different than what a message board is.

• Fire 3

Seems like the discussion of following recruits on twitter needs its own thread. The kids love all the attention that our fans show them on twitter and it has a positive influence on recruiting. That is a good thing. Then a couple fans say something stupid and now everyone needs to stop tweeting recruits. That is a bad thing. Those who follow and tweet at players are called out for stalking players and how weird it is to follow recruits and tweet on twitter. The same people that call out the tweeters are on a message board hiding behind an anonymous handle calling out current players, coaches, former coaches, kids who need an offer, and kids who dont deserve an offer. Seems a bit hypocritical.

I personally do not tweet at recruits or even have a twitter account anymore, but I dont think it is much different than what a message board is.

There is a big difference between following someone and communicating directly with them.

There is a big difference between following someone and communicating directly with them.
So tweeting a recruit is frowned upon but following a recruit who hasn't committed or signed his LOI to your favorite school is ok?

Also one more thing, current players and recruits read message boards which has been proven in the past.

Whether you're talking crap about them via Twitter or message board, it still has the same impact.

• Fire 2

Sure there is. One silently lurks there checking in on them. Not weird at all.

• Fire 1

So tweeting a recruit is frowned upon but following a recruit who hasn't committed or signed his LOI to your favorite school is ok?

Also one more thing, current players and recruits read message boards which has been proven in the past.

Whether you're talking crap about them via Twitter or message board, it still has the same impact.

Look back at the tweets directly at Fitzpatrick last year after he committed to Louisville for the final time. That is the crap you get when people think it's a good thing to directly communicate with recruits. Anyone who thinks that's acceptable is baffling to me.

How is it on your ivory tower?

So, taking all the Richardness out of this comment and asking legitimately, what makes any form of social media acceptable if you don't directly know somebody? Twitter IS to connect and reach out to people outside of your network and have never met personally, it's not AIM chat where you control who one would communicate with. If a recruit didn't want any attention from outsiders, they'd protect their account and control who can follow them.

That isn't to say I disagree about tweeting at recruits, and especially to be outwardly negative and ugly to an individual, but the social media platform is "buyer beware."

So, taking all the Richardness out of this comment and asking legitimately, what makes any form of social media acceptable if you don't directly know somebody? Twitter IS to connect and reach out to people outside of your network and have never met personally, it's not AIM chat where you control who one would communicate with. If a recruit didn't want any attention from outsiders, they'd protect their account and control who can follow them.

That isn't to say I disagree about tweeting at recruits, and especially to be outwardly negative and ugly to an individual, but the social media platform is "buyer beware."

Of course it's "buyer beware".

But, as a fan of a school, why do you want to tweet at a recruit with the possibility that it is going to be viewed negatively or have some bad outcome with a recruit thinking about coming to your school?

You have no clue how some comments are going to be taken by people. So, it's best to just not communicate directly with them and let them make their decision.