• You cannot reply to this topic
142 replies to this topic

#1 Treand3

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

https://twitter.com/TheTateMartell/status/728064179031015425?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Edited by Mavric, 05 May 2016 - 11:19 AM.
Split out of Lindsey thread

#2 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

https://twitter.com/tyjonlindsey/status/728090828187439106

And some people think it's ok to tweet recruits.

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#3 teachercd

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:52 AM

https://twitter.com/tyjonlindsey/status/728090828187439106

And some people think it's ok to tweet recruits.

I totally get where he is coming from.  If me (Joe Average College Student) went and visited a campus and had a bad time or met people that were dicks I would not want to attend there either...

I know in this case it is tweets but still...he has tons of options.

Gotta love the PPC

#4 gbr93

Starter

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:03 AM

It had nothing to do with any fans. The TAMU receivers coach went on a Twitter rant and basically called them all out. So his decision is based on what a coach said, not any fans.

#5 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

It had nothing to do with any fans. The TAMU receivers coach went on a Twitter rant and basically called them all out. So his decision is based on what a coach said, not any fans.

Obviously the coach was an idiot.  However, the tweet says..."and fans".

Fans have absolutely no place in interacting with recruits on social media even if it is positive. 

"Argument turns too easily into animosity.  Disagreement escalates into dehumanization.  Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions."

George Bush

#6 swmohusker

Heisman Winner

• Members2
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

Seems like the discussion of following recruits on twitter needs its own thread.  The kids love all the attention that our fans show them on twitter and it has a positive influence on recruiting.  That is a good thing.  Then a couple fans say something stupid and now everyone needs to stop tweeting recruits.  That is a bad thing.  Those who follow and tweet at players are called out for stalking players and how weird it is to follow recruits and tweet on twitter.  The same people that call out the tweeters are on a message board hiding behind an anonymous handle calling out current players, coaches, former coaches, kids who need an offer, and kids who dont deserve an offer.  Seems a bit hypocritical.

I personally do not tweet at recruits or even have a twitter account anymore, but I dont think it is much different than what a message board is.  

#7 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

Seems like the discussion of following recruits on twitter needs its own thread.  The kids love all the attention that our fans show them on twitter and it has a positive influence on recruiting.  That is a good thing.  Then a couple fans say something stupid and now everyone needs to stop tweeting recruits.  That is a bad thing.  Those who follow and tweet at players are called out for stalking players and how weird it is to follow recruits and tweet on twitter.  The same people that call out the tweeters are on a message board hiding behind an anonymous handle calling out current players, coaches, former coaches, kids who need an offer, and kids who dont deserve an offer.  Seems a bit hypocritical.

I personally do not tweet at recruits or even have a twitter account anymore, but I dont think it is much different than what a message board is.  

There is a big difference between following someone and communicating directly with them.

George Bush

#8 Dewiz

The Bobfather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

There is a big difference between following someone and communicating directly with them.
So tweeting a recruit is frowned upon but following a recruit who hasn't committed or signed his LOI to your favorite school is ok?

Also one more thing, current players and recruits read message boards which has been proven in the past.

Whether you're talking crap about them via Twitter or message board, it still has the same impact.

#9 swmohusker

Heisman Winner

• Members2
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:08 AM

Sure there is.  One silently lurks there checking in on them.  Not weird at all. 

#10 HuskerzFanatik

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Recruits are life!!!! :sarcasm

In reality it's fruitless to admonish those that tweet garbage to recruits since they will continue to do it no matter how foolish it is. 

#11 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

So tweeting a recruit is frowned upon but following a recruit who hasn't committed or signed his LOI to your favorite school is ok?

Also one more thing, current players and recruits read message boards which has been proven in the past.

Whether you're talking crap about them via Twitter or message board, it still has the same impact.

Look back at the tweets directly at Fitzpatrick last year after he committed to Louisville for the final time.  That is the crap you get when people think it's a good thing to directly communicate with recruits.  Anyone who thinks that's acceptable is baffling to me.

George Bush

#12 MattyIce

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

How is it on your ivory tower?

B22RlEW.png xH7aV6l.png

#13 StPaulHusker

Legend

• Members
  • 11,586 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

If you are an adult and attempt to communicate with HS boys or girls that you don't know personally via Twitter or other means of social media, you should delete your accounts.

c7U8vFB.png       sIg8nr1.png        Vsx5CoZ.png      QUyYgF4.png

#14 Savage Husker

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

So, taking all the Richardness out of this comment and asking legitimately, what makes any form of social media acceptable if you don't directly know somebody? Twitter IS to connect and reach out to people outside of your network and have never met personally, it's not AIM chat where you control who one would communicate with. If a recruit didn't want any attention from outsiders, they'd protect their account and control who can follow them.

That isn't to say I disagree about tweeting at recruits, and especially to be outwardly negative and ugly to an individual, but the social media platform is "buyer beware."

#15 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

So, taking all the Richardness out of this comment and asking legitimately, what makes any form of social media acceptable if you don't directly know somebody? Twitter IS to connect and reach out to people outside of your network and have never met personally, it's not AIM chat where you control who one would communicate with. If a recruit didn't want any attention from outsiders, they'd protect their account and control who can follow them.

That isn't to say I disagree about tweeting at recruits, and especially to be outwardly negative and ugly to an individual, but the social media platform is "buyer beware."

Of course it's "buyer beware".

But, as a fan of a school, why do you want to tweet at a recruit with the possibility that it is going to be viewed negatively or have some bad outcome with a recruit thinking about coming to your school?

You have no clue how some comments are going to be taken by people.  So, it's best to just not communicate directly with them and let them make their decision.

George Bush

#16 Dewiz

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Look back at the tweets directly at Fitzpatrick last year after he committed to Louisville for the final time.  That is the crap you get when people think it's a good thing to directly communicate with recruits.  Anyone who thinks that's acceptable is baffling to me.

Who and where did I say that was acceptable? It's never acceptable to bad mouth a kid for making a decision that affects his life?

#17 Dewiz

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Who and where did I say that was acceptable? It's never acceptable to bad mouth a kid for making a decision that affects his life?

#18 swmohusker

Heisman Winner

• Members2
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

How is it on your ivory tower?

I sit on the tusks of a 1,000 elephants . 

#19 Savage Husker

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

So, taking all the Richardness out of this comment and asking legitimately, what makes any form of social media acceptable if you don't directly know somebody? Twitter IS to connect and reach out to people outside of your network and have never met personally, it's not AIM chat where you control who one would communicate with. If a recruit didn't want any attention from outsiders, they'd protect their account and control who can follow them.That isn't to say I disagree about tweeting at recruits, and especially to be outwardly negative and ugly to an individual, but the social media platform is "buyer beware."

Of course it's "buyer beware".

But, as a fan of a school, why do you want to tweet at a recruit with the possibility that it is going to be viewed negatively or have some bad outcome with a recruit thinking about coming to your school?

You have no clue how some comments are going to be taken by people.  So, it's best to just not communicate directly with them and let them make their decision.
The only people that have a problem with tweeting positive/encouraging comments are those so against tweeting in the first place. No one is defending the idiots that tweet jackassery comments or tweets daily/weekly except for maybe those who are a-holes and creepers, but those people are a small percentage everywhere in life, on social media or face to face. I'm not going to hold back on being positive because of the fear of the unknown.

There is evidence out there, from recruits, committed players, signed players, and enrolled players, that they love the positive fan interaction. So take it and run with it!

I understand people have differing opinions to mine, to each their own, and I'm in the camp that says do it but be responsible about it.

#20 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

This nice flowchart explains when to tweet at a recruit:

tweeting-recruits.jpg?quality=90&w=650

The stupidity of some of our fans never ceases to amaze me. - ADS

#21 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

Not to mention that I believe it's actually an NCAA violation.

George Bush

#22 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

I think that's only if you are a "booster".  Not sure though...

#23 C N Red

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

Fans have absolutely no place in interacting with recruits on social media even if it is positive.
Yes, and i see a lot of people on here saying this. However, just get used to it. Its "social" media. If kids cant handle it they shouldnt be on it or make everything private. Its not going away. Its not gonna get better. Just get used to it.

Also, sure some of the asshats are actual husker fans but there are a lot of fake husker fans, and fake fans of other teams, out there just trying to make schools fans look bad.
"One School leaving a conference does not break up a conference. Two schools leaving a conference does not break up a conference. Six schools leaving a conference breaks up a conference." T.O. 6/11/2010

The only good Badger is a dead Bucky. - C N Red
The only good Pony is a dead Pony! - C N Red

Paige+Spiranac3.jpg

#24 1995 Redux

Legend

• Members
  • 13,520 posts

HB Donor Bronze

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

Also, sure some of the asshats are actual husker fans but there are a lot of fake husker fans, and fake fans of other teams, out there just trying to make schools fans look bad.

And it works

5LSYDvM.png
B.C. - HANDLING THE HARD STUFF FOR HUSKERBOARD!

#25 Enhance89

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

I don't have a problem with fans following a recruit on Twitter.  Part of the reason people follow others is not just to interact with them but to also see what they're up to.

That said, I don't follow recruits or even current players.  I look at Twitter as 'Do I care what you have to say?'  If I don't, then that person doesn't get a follow.  Pretty much every single one of my follows is a media personality, media outlet or is somehow related to the work I do.

As always, the biggest concern is interacting with recruits.  Being nice and showing respect goes a long way whether you're face to face or on social media.  I don't understand why people feel it is necessary to Tweet hurtful, ignorant or insulting things to recruits.

fro daddy, Enhance89 & knapplc are The Trifecta of Awesomeness

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#26 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,220 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

The definition of "booster" is pretty wide-ranging.  Pretty sure BRB is correct.

bKzWyb.jpgI7yKkp.jpgelgfqt.jpg

#27 Red Five

Head Coach

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

The definition of "booster" is pretty wide-ranging.  Pretty sure BRB is correct.

Yup.  Y'all are right.

Now seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone: If you tweet at a recruit and encourage him to attend your favorite school, you’ve committed an NCAA recruiting violation.

It doesn’t matter that you’re not a donor, a season-ticket holder or even affiliated with the university in any official capacity. You can’t publicly lobby a recruit on behalf of a school.

http://newsok.com/article/3916214

#28 DrunkOffPunch

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

A dumb rule to be honest. Every school does it and there's no way to regulate it. Not to mention I'm sure a lot of the tweets aimed at recruits come from high schoolers and minors. I can understand why in theory the rule is good but it should just get thrown out IMO.

27/3

#29 commando

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

Yup.  Y'all are right.

Now seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone: If you tweet at a recruit and encourage him to attend your favorite school, you’ve committed an NCAA recruiting violation.

It doesn’t matter that you’re not a donor, a season-ticket holder or even affiliated with the university in any official capacity. You can’t publicly lobby a recruit on behalf of a school.

does that apply to peer recruiting?  KJJ could be in big trouble if it does.   lol

George Washington  "I cannot tell a lie"

Trump "lie,lie,lie,lie,lie"

#30 teachercd

Wizard of Osborne

• Members
  • 9,160 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

Well...actually all of us CAN tweet a recruit.  It is not against the law...no cop will show up and arrest you.

Regardless...it can't be enforced.  Think how many Auburn fans would pose as Bama fans on Twitter just to get the Tide in trouble.

Gotta love the PPC

#31 RedSavage

Blackshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Yup.  Y'all are right.

Dumbest rule evar.  How would the NCAA even enforce this rule if they tried?  What're they gonna do, fine a random person?  I don't see how they could bring that back on the school unless the person was somehow affiliated with the school.  Not like a university can control what fans say on the interwebz.

I'm also on the side of things that unless you have something positive to say/show a recruit about the school, you shouldn't be tweeting them in the first place.

#32 AR Husker Fan

Team HuskerBoard

• Members
  • 13,683 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

Everyone might want to take a look at THIS THREAD. The term "booster" is explained by the NCAA HERE.  Among other things, the NCAA considers you a booster if you have "been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics."  That's a pretty vague definition, admittedly, and could conceivably include anyone on this board that has ever made a positive comment about Huskers sports of any kind.  But also from that same link:

Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else [other than institutional staff members] from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.

Posted Image
Board Rules

Husker Gift Ideas -- Support the Board!
Posted Image
*HuskerNation.com is operated by Huskerboard - sales help pay our high hosting costs to keep the board 100% free. We appreciate your help!

I donated for Childhood Apraxia.

#33 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

It does't matter if it's a dumb rule. I think it's a dumb rule that it's a violation if I buy a player a ham sandwich.

Fact is...that's the rule and it's just one reason of a long list of why it's idiotic to think you are going to get involved in recruiting a player to Nebraska.

George Bush

#34 Atbone95

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,767 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

Everyone might want to take a look at THIS THREAD. The term "booster" is explained by the NCAA HERE.  Among other things, the NCAA considers you a booster if you have "been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics."  That's a pretty vague definition, admittedly, and could conceivably include anyone on this board that has ever made a positive comment about Huskers sports of any kind.  But also from that same link:

Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else [other than institutional staff members] from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.

Guys.... Guys, I get it.... 

All of those posters that we ran out of town for being so negative... they were just trying to save us from ourselves. They wanted to put an end to the positive Husker comments to prevent incurring that liability. God bless their souls. 

#35 HuskerExpat

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

https://twitter.com/HuskerExtraBC/status/730109268913872896

#36 Mavric

Legend

• Mods
  • 43,220 posts

HB Donor Gold

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:17 AM

https://twitter.com/mikejschaefer/status/732430316523003904

https://twitter.com/mikejschaefer/status/732431260862152705

bKzWyb.jpgI7yKkp.jpgelgfqt.jpg

#37 Savage Husker

Heisman Winner

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

https://twitter.com/mikejschaefer/status/732430316523003904

https://twitter.com/mikejschaefer/status/732431260862152705

First thought it was a NEB fan, thank goodness it isn't. I'll disagree with Schaeffer, please tweet negatively about NEB to recruits the coaches are after.

He is right though, that is pathetic.

#38 Bigred_inSD

Grad Assistant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

The internet never ceases to amaze me with all the cool people on it

#39 dudeguyy

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

Man, the weirdos on the internet. That's pathetic.

Don't ever be that guy. Make a tweet short and positive, or don't do it.

PBQGeQl.png

#40 Treand3

Head Coach

• Members
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

Checking that profile...they might be a K-State fan fwiw.

#41 TITANIC VS LUSITANIA

All Conference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:26 AM

I think it's weirder that people will run a fake Twitter account to impersonate a celebrity.
But then again...maybe I am not that surprised anymore.

GPRO Racing Champion

~~~~~~~~

XVII

~~~~~~~~

http://gpro.net

#42 SUHperman

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:18 AM

https://twitter.com/deommo_lenoir/status/778977208215801857

Edited by Mavric, 23 September 2016 - 03:15 PM.
Split from Lenior thread - tweet was to KJJ about Husker fans leaving him alone

#43 MattyIce

The Bobfather

• Members
  • 6,211 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

I hope we are still after him, but it just feels like the door has closed on him and he is all about Oregon.

B22RlEW.png xH7aV6l.png

#44 BigRedBuster

Legend

• Members
  • 17,549 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:30 AM

Fans tweeting recruits = idiots.

George Bush

#45 swmohusker

Heisman Winner

• Members2
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

I agree.....  Unless it helps us land them. 

#46 ADS

Legend

• Members
  • 13,874 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

That's kind of embarrassing.
O2Z2aGv.png

#47 Huskinator

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

There's no unless about it. Don't tweet recruits period. This is embarrassing. I know every fan base has these guys but good grief come on people. This is a 17/18 year old kid let him be. (I know it's not you tweeting him)

#48 SUHperman

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

There's no unless about it. Don't tweet recruits period. This is embarrassing. I know every fan base has these guys but good grief come on people. This is a 17/18 year old kid let him be. (I know it's not you tweeting him)
I agree this is creepy. He got a few "if you can't beat them join them" responses to his tweet.

#49 TheGainfulHusker

Travel Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

It appears that the tweet was deleted, the link no longer works. What did it say?

#50 Huskinator

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

It appears that the tweet was deleted, the link no longer works. What did it say?

Tell your fans to leave me alone and they were husker fans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users