Tweeting Recruits

Seems like the discussion of following recruits on twitter needs its own thread. The kids love all the attention that our fans show them on twitter and it has a positive influence on recruiting. That is a good thing. Then a couple fans say something stupid and now everyone needs to stop tweeting recruits. That is a bad thing. Those who follow and tweet at players are called out for stalking players and how weird it is to follow recruits and tweet on twitter. The same people that call out the tweeters are on a message board hiding behind an anonymous handle calling out current players, coaches, former coaches, kids who need an offer, and kids who dont deserve an offer. Seems a bit hypocritical.

I personally do not tweet at recruits or even have a twitter account anymore, but I dont think it is much different than what a message board is.

There is a big difference between following someone and communicating directly with them.
So tweeting a recruit is frowned upon but following a recruit who hasn't committed or signed his LOI to your favorite school is ok?

Also one more thing, current players and recruits read message boards which has been proven in the past.

Whether you're talking crap about them via Twitter or message board, it still has the same impact.

Look back at the tweets directly at Fitzpatrick last year after he committed to Louisville for the final time. That is the crap you get when people think it's a good thing to directly communicate with recruits. Anyone who thinks that's acceptable is baffling to me.

Who and where did I say that was acceptable? It's never acceptable to bad mouth a kid for making a decision that affects his life?

Seems like the discussion of following recruits on twitter needs its own thread. The kids love all the attention that our fans show them on twitter and it has a positive influence on recruiting. That is a good thing. Then a couple fans say something stupid and now everyone needs to stop tweeting recruits. That is a bad thing. Those who follow and tweet at players are called out for stalking players and how weird it is to follow recruits and tweet on twitter. The same people that call out the tweeters are on a message board hiding behind an anonymous handle calling out current players, coaches, former coaches, kids who need an offer, and kids who dont deserve an offer. Seems a bit hypocritical.

I personally do not tweet at recruits or even have a twitter account anymore, but I dont think it is much different than what a message board is.

There is a big difference between following someone and communicating directly with them.
So tweeting a recruit is frowned upon but following a recruit who hasn't committed or signed his LOI to your favorite school is ok?

Also one more thing, current players and recruits read message boards which has been proven in the past.

Whether you're talking crap about them via Twitter or message board, it still has the same impact.

Look back at the tweets directly at Fitzpatrick last year after he committed to Louisville for the final time. That is the crap you get when people think it's a good thing to directly communicate with recruits. Anyone who thinks that's acceptable is baffling to me.

Who and where did I say that was acceptable? It's never acceptable to bad mouth a kid for making a decision that affects his life?

How is it on your ivory tower?

I sit on the tusks of a 1,000 elephants .

• Fire 1

So, taking all the Richardness out of this comment and asking legitimately, what makes any form of social media acceptable if you don't directly know somebody? Twitter IS to connect and reach out to people outside of your network and have never met personally, it's not AIM chat where you control who one would communicate with. If a recruit didn't want any attention from outsiders, they'd protect their account and control who can follow them.That isn't to say I disagree about tweeting at recruits, and especially to be outwardly negative and ugly to an individual, but the social media platform is "buyer beware."

Of course it's "buyer beware".

But, as a fan of a school, why do you want to tweet at a recruit with the possibility that it is going to be viewed negatively or have some bad outcome with a recruit thinking about coming to your school?

You have no clue how some comments are going to be taken by people. So, it's best to just not communicate directly with them and let them make their decision.

The only people that have a problem with tweeting positive/encouraging comments are those so against tweeting in the first place. No one is defending the idiots that tweet jackassery comments or tweets daily/weekly except for maybe those who are a-holes and creepers, but those people are a small percentage everywhere in life, on social media or face to face. I'm not going to hold back on being positive because of the fear of the unknown.

There is evidence out there, from recruits, committed players, signed players, and enrolled players, that they love the positive fan interaction. So take it and run with it!

I understand people have differing opinions to mine, to each their own, and I'm in the camp that says do it but be responsible about it.

• Fire 3

It had nothing to do with any fans. The TAMU receivers coach went on a Twitter rant and basically called them all out. So his decision is based on what a coach said, not any fans.

Obviously the coach was an idiot. However, the tweet says..."and fans".

Fans have absolutely no place in interacting with recruits on social media even if it is positive.

Yes, and i see a lot of people on here saying this. However, just get used to it. Its "social" media. If kids cant handle it they shouldnt be on it or make everything private. Its not going away. Its not gonna get better. Just get used to it.

Also, sure some of the asshats are actual husker fans but there are a lot of fake husker fans, and fake fans of other teams, out there just trying to make schools fans look bad.

It had nothing to do with any fans. The TAMU receivers coach went on a Twitter rant and basically called them all out. So his decision is based on what a coach said, not any fans.

Obviously the coach was an idiot. However, the tweet says..."and fans".

Fans have absolutely no place in interacting with recruits on social media even if it is positive.

Also, sure some of the asshats are actual husker fans but there are a lot of fake husker fans, and fake fans of other teams, out there just trying to make schools fans look bad.

And it works

I don't have a problem with fans following a recruit on Twitter. Part of the reason people follow others is not just to interact with them but to also see what they're up to.

That said, I don't follow recruits or even current players. I look at Twitter as 'Do I care what you have to say?' If I don't, then that person doesn't get a follow. Pretty much every single one of my follows is a media personality, media outlet or is somehow related to the work I do.

As always, the biggest concern is interacting with recruits. Being nice and showing respect goes a long way whether you're face to face or on social media. I don't understand why people feel it is necessary to Tweet hurtful, ignorant or insulting things to recruits.

Not to mention that I believe it's actually an NCAA violation.

I think that's only if you are a "booster". Not sure though...

The definition of "booster" is pretty wide-ranging. Pretty sure BRB is correct.

Yup. Y'all are right.

Now seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone: If you tweet at a recruit and encourage him to attend your favorite school, you’ve committed an NCAA recruiting violation.

It doesn’t matter that you’re not a donor, a season-ticket holder or even affiliated with the university in any official capacity. You can’t publicly lobby a recruit on behalf of a school.

http://newsok.com/article/3916214

Not to mention that I believe it's actually an NCAA violation.

I think that's only if you are a "booster". Not sure though...

The definition of "booster" is pretty wide-ranging. Pretty sure BRB is correct.

Yup. Y'all are right.

Now seems like as good a time as any to remind everyone: If you tweet at a recruit and encourage him to attend your favorite school, you’ve committed an NCAA recruiting violation.

It doesn’t matter that you’re not a donor, a season-ticket holder or even affiliated with the university in any official capacity. You can’t publicly lobby a recruit on behalf of a school.

http://newsok.com/article/3916214

does that apply to peer recruiting? KJJ could be in big trouble if it does. lol