Direction of the Program

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

During the election season we always see polls discussing whether we feel good about the direction of the country. I thought I'd start a Pre- Season poll discussing our feelings about the direction of our football program. We can then revisit it after the season is over.

The poll reflects this basic question: Is the football program going in the right direction since Coach Riley took over? Yes or No. This poll isn't meant to be an anti-Bo thread nor is to be a Bo vs Mike thread or comparing their teams.. It is just a snap shot in time on how you feel. For example, I felt pretty bad after starting 2-4, then felt good after MSU win, bad after Iowa and good after UCLA. Last season was a rollercoaster wide. But we've had time to reflect since then. A recruiting class, Spring game, and a start of the 2017 recruiting class.

So at this snap shot in time, Do you feel good about the direction the football team is heading?

My thoughts:

I think there are 4 things that give me hope and confidence going forward:

1. The 2016 class was a solid class - not Alabama great - but solid. A good build on the future - esp wt O'Brien.

2. The hiring of John Parrella as DL coach. This may seem like a small matter but to me it is a big deal and speaks of MR's desire to drive aggression back into the D. I think this will eventually prove to be a dramatic hire - a difference maker.

3. The discussion by Langs to possibly redshirt O'Brien. This tells me they aren't after quick results but want to build for quality. I think it also means that this next year may be average at best. I'm willing to have a 9-4 or 8-5 year if it means we can stockpile redshirts for later years.

4. The 2017 recruiting class. For Nebraska, you could not have asked for a better March and April in recruiting. The word is getting you that something special is in the works. It may take time but something is being built behind the curtain.

4 Things that give me concern:

1. A lack luster spring game

2. Armstrong as QB - no solid backup either - short term 1 season issue

3. Depleted DL - perhaps a short term issue - see # 2 above.

4. Past performance. MR and crew need to show that the fluky loses last year are a one year thing. So they still need to prove it on the field.

• Fire 6

Concerns:

-Shoddy clock management in close games

-Questionable (from my irrelevant perspective) play calls in crucial moments

-Very uninspiring record in debut season

-Passing Defense, will it improve?

-Can the D line continue improving with so many fresh faces?

-Tommy Armstrong is his own worst enemy

Things that give me hope:

-So much raw talent all over the place being overseen by a staff that can shape it into something special

-D Line could be scary good in not too distant future

-Recruiting class could be top 10

-QB play is on the upswing in all liklihood

-Big Ten West is very winnable

-Transitions eventually end and I feel this one will be worth it

• Fire 1

Direction of the program is hard after one year. I agree with Red Dead.....

I am looking at a season where we could improve some...but then fall back some in 2017 as we groom a young QB. The 2018 season figures to be better than 2016 or 2017. Make a run and make it to a Big 6 bowl game, possibly even a conference title in 2018.

Shoot for the playoffs in 2019.

That's about the brightest and best picture I can envision.

Without QB development .... or busts at the QB....we are a VERY average team that is once in a while ranked and ends up in also ran bowl games.

I am confident that we will take several good steps forward this year assuming this recruiting class falls into place as the indications are right now. Absent some real unfortunate event or bad news / surprise, the odds are good.

To say we will win a conference championship within 4 years is a rather bold prediction. It is certainly possible but probabilities are at best 1 in 3 or so in my view. If we fill out a class of 21 or so with a dozen or more 4 or 5 star guys and rest strong 3s, we will be clearly headed upwards. Need to do this three years in a row to really building the team strength to top ten level. I am excited about this fall and believe 10 wins plus is likely.

Where we are heading in the right direction:

Boyd Epley is back and putting numbers to performance.

John Parrella is back

Wide receiver recruits and coach

Langsdorf is a good QB coach.

Concerns:

Huskers are now in a large meat grinder of a conference.

New offensive coaches are pursuing a pass heavy offense ignoring the demonstrated successes of other types of offense in the state of Nebraska.

Voted: Yes and competing/winning the Big 10 in 4 years.

Pros:

-Coaches talked about rugby style tackling change and it showed in the Spring Game.

-Staff has been creative in using social media to recruit and so far it appears to be paying off.

-Mike Riley seems candid in interviews about what when wrong last year and what they need to change this year; in other words, no generic coach speech.

-We have an up in coming coach at WR Coach.

-Cautiously optimistic about the direction of our O-line

Concerns:

-Who the hell is going to step up at DE?

-I'm still not sure about Banker yet.

-Bruce Reed still boggles my mind at that salary.

-Solid production from the TEs, paging Mr. Carter.

-Can Tommy trade boom or bust for solid quarterly production?

-Will the staff get 8 wins this regular season and a bowl victory? We don't need it for absolute success, but anything less would kill the momentum alive via recruiting right now.