2016 Opponent Previews: Ohio State

CollegeFootballNews.com

There’s not going to be a meltdown this time around. Urban Meyer’s 2009 Florida Gators won the national title a year too early, came back loaded with Tim Tebow, Joe Haden and Brandon Spikes leading the way – nine players off the team were drafted in 2010, and six went in the top 62 – didn’t play quite up to the hype, lost one game, and weren’t able to repeat.

Sound remotely familiar?That 2009 Florida season ended with Meyer having health problems, retiring, unretiring, and then struggling through a clunky 8-5 year before getting out of Gainesville.

Things are fine at Ohio State after as disappointing a season as a 12-1 Fiesta Bowl-winning team could probably have, but is this going to be the year of readjustment? With Michigan rising, Penn State better, and Michigan State still terrific, this might be the time when the Buckeyes need a year off to reload with all the strong young stockpiled talent.Or, instead of a five-loss reboot, the Buckeyes just might be the best team in the Big Ten.

Preview Part 1: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/ohio-state-preview-2016-urban-meyers-reloading-job

Preview Part 2 & Prediction Video: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/ohio-state-buckeyes-preview-2016

Ten Players You Need To Know: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/ohio-state-buckeyes-preview-2016-10-players-you-need-to-know

Schedule and 5 keys to the season: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/ohio-state-football-schedule-2016-5-keys-for-the-buckeyes

Prediction: 11-1

Athlon Sports
Despite losing a wealth of talent to the NFL, Ohio State is poised for another run at the Big Ten Championship and a spot in the College Football Playoff. Urban Meyer’s team returns only six starters, but elite recruiting has the Buckeyes’ roster stocked for a quick rebuild. J.T. Barrett is the unquestioned No. 1 quarterback and the lack of a controversy under center should allow the junior take full control of the offense. New co-coordinator Greg Schiano will keep the defense near the top of the Big Ten, and there’s no shortage of talent to work with, including standout linebacker Raekwon McMillan, ends Tyquan Lewis and Sam Hubbard and cornerback Gareon Conley.
National Forecast - #3
Big Ten East Prediction - #1

SBNation: Ohio State will slip in quality in 2016 ... and maybe win the Big Ten anyway
Urban Meyer's Buckeyes lost a whole era of stars all at once. Even if there's a dip this year, the Buckeyes will be making runs at the conference title indefinitely.
2016 projected wins: 8.1
Projected S&P+ ranking: 14 (2 in Big Ten)
5-year recruiting ranking: 4 (1 in Big Ten)
Biggest strength: New defensive coordinator Greg Schiano should have a lot of fun with the attacking talent in the front seven.
Biggest question mark: The skill positions are almost completely starting over. How long will it take to develop a rapport with QB J.T. Barrett?
Biggest 2016 game: Michigan (Nov. 26). The Wolverines have big plans, and Ohio State could destroy them.
Summary: Ohio State returns less production than almost anybody, and while Meyer's Buckeyes don't lack for talent, inexperience should lead to a backwards step. But they will still remain an obvious factor in the Big Ten East.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/27/12259630/ohio-state-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

More to come...

• Fire 1

I like their chances to get back to the CFP this year. I understand they lost a lot of players, but, if Barrett can stay healthy, they have a great college QB leading their team. I don't think there are any QBs in college right now that I would rather have running Urban's offense.

I think they will struggle to put it together this year along with Wisconsin. They struggled last year with an NFL ready roster...what makes you think they won't struggle again with a depleted one?

OHIO STATE

tOSU has it's hardest schedule in probably 2-3 years this year. I see 6 teams that could give them trouble. There are so many new starters on the lines on both sides of the ball, new LBs and secondary...how long will it take them to come together and feel comfortable? That secondary will be tested often and early with top 20 passing offenses playing them in the non conference. They have to play Oklahoma at home...and the Sooners are 90-8 the last 17 seasons at home.

As I said, both of their lines lose quite a bit, both safeties gone, they're breaking in tons of spots with new guys which provides more questions than answers. Don't take my word for it though, check out the two deep with experience here: http://nationalchamps.net/2016/earlybird/teams/ohiostate.htm

WISCONSIN

Another tough schedule for Wiscy. Wisconsin is losing almost all of their secondary and losing Caputo and McEvoy hurts a lot. They are sitting better than tOSU with experience but they still have a lot of cogs to replace and their defensive two deep has very little experience after the starters. With a new QB at the helm, new linemen on offense and only one proven receiver on the roster...if they don't gel quickly and have a power run game from hell, I think they might be in trouble.

Don't forget they'll be breaking in new schemes and new wrinkles on defense because they lost their D coordinator to LSU last year.

I just can't buy into the whole automagic 'reloading' thing...perhaps I can buy into it more at tOSU than at Wisconsin due to coordinator shifting but honestly, if others can reload, why can't Nebraska? The talent gap between Wisconsin and Nebraska and MSU isn't that wide....and remember, stars don't tell the whole story. Players have to be smart enough to figure out the schemes to put their athletic prowess on display...the scheme puts them in place to make plays. If they don't know the scheme, they're going to ride the bench or get burned.

That being said...I see a down year with 2-3 losses for tOSU and the same for Wiscy.

If Wisconsin gets to November with a record over .500, I'd be shocked.

9/3 LSU @ Lambeau

9/10 Akron

9/17 Georgia State

9/24 @ MSU

10/1 @ Michigan

10/15 Ohio State

10/22 @ Iowa

10/29 Nebraska

I mean, they could easily be 2-6 before November.

I think they will struggle to put it together this year along with Wisconsin. They struggled last year with an NFL ready roster...what makes you think they won't struggle again with a depleted one?

OHIO STATE

tOSU has it's hardest schedule in probably 2-3 years this year. I see 6 teams that could give them trouble. There are so many new starters on the lines on both sides of the ball, new LBs and secondary...how long will it take them to come together and feel comfortable? That secondary will be tested often and early with top 20 passing offenses playing them in the non conference. They have to play Oklahoma at home...and the Sooners are 90-8 the last 17 seasons at home.

As I said, both of their lines lose quite a bit, both safeties gone, they're breaking in tons of spots with new guys which provides more questions than answers. Don't take my word for it though, check out the two deep with experience here: http://nationalchamps.net/2016/earlybird/teams/ohiostate.htm

I don't know. OSU recruits so well that losing players doesn't effect them as much. They are kinda like Alabama.

They get 2 games to get it together before Oklahoma comes to Columbus. I would be surprised if they are an underdog in any game all year.

I think MSU will struggle.

I think they'll struggle on offense but be solid on defense. Their secondary was horrible last year but got lots of good experience. Their backers are awesome and they have a great DT returning.

I think if they can find any sort of offense at all they'll be fine. I see a repeat of a few years ago where their offense couldn't do much of anything and their defense was rock solid...they won quite a few games that year.

I thought MSU dismissed their two starting DT's

OHIO STATE

I don't know. OSU recruits so well that losing players doesn't effect them as much. They are kinda like Alabama.

They get 2 games to get it together before Oklahoma comes to Columbus. I would be surprised if they are an underdog in any game all year.

Recruiting well is all fine and great...but MSU doesn't recruit well and still does great.

Texas recruits well and sucks up everything.

Recruiting well gets you nothing if you can't put it together on the field. tOSU lost a lot of leaders and experience in the draft and with graduation.

Urbs is a good coach...he's going to do pretty well but everyone has a down year. I think this is one of them for him. As I said, 2-3 losses is what I expect. I don't expect Michigan to be #1 in the conference either though...everyone is overhyping them quite a bit.

I think MSU is once again, the team to beat and I think Indiana will be deceptively good.

I think you have been smokin the chronic!

OHIO STATE

Recruiting well is all fine and great...but MSU doesn't recruit well and still does great.

Texas recruits well and sucks up everything.

Recruiting well gets you nothing if you can't put it together on the field. tOSU lost a lot of leaders and experience in the draft and with graduation.

Urbs is a good coach...he's going to do pretty well but everyone has a down year. I think this is one of them for him. As I said, 2-3 losses is what I expect. I don't expect Michigan to be #1 in the conference either though...everyone is overhyping them quite a bit.

I think MSU is once again, the team to beat and I think Indiana will be deceptively good.

I think you have been smokin the chronic!

Ha! If Urbs is only a "good" coach...well...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...