Bo Pelini to Baylor

Every measure of recruiting success is flawed in some way, IMO. To me, looking at a composite of recruiting data is more accurate than just singling out one type of data that "proves your point"

The flaw in looking at draft picks is that you are assuming that the NFL is some magical talent-finding genius that is immune to the success or failure in coaching scheme vs talent to run that scheme.

For example, Suh blossomed in the Pelini Brothers' hands. Would Andy Janovich have been drafted if Pelini had been retained? I'm guessing not. On the flip-side there are probably athletes that would have been drafted had their coach and system persisted for another year or two. etc.

• Fire 2

Every measure of recruiting success is flawed in some way, IMO. To me, looking at a composite of recruiting data is more accurate than just singling out one type of data that "proves your point"

The flaw in looking at draft picks is that you are assuming that the NFL is some magical talent-finding genius that is immune to the success or failure in coaching scheme vs talent to run that scheme.

For example, Suh blossomed in the Pelini Brothers' hands. Would Andy Janovich have been drafted if Pelini had been retained? I'm guessing not. On the flip-side there are probably athletes that would have been drafted had their coach and system persisted for another year or two. etc.

I agree with every thing you wrote here.

NFL draft picks are just one data point. And based on that data point and others, I stand by my statement that Callahan was far behind frank as a recruiter and behind Bo.

I can gladly admit that John Blake had a lot of sway initially; just glad NU never ended up on probation because of him.

• 2 months later...

Cm, what level of success from this coaching staff would get you to finally move on to the Youngstown State message board?

I'm guessing cm will hold out for something better than 6-7. But hey, one guy's below .500 record might be another guy's "level of success", albeit not a high level...maybe "garden level"...

Better yet, How about we pick this whole debate back up on the other side of Mike Riley's first 10 win season? Because nine win seasons used to elicit a lot of grumbling in the pre-Riley era.

gotta love the false narratives.