Riley brings gang-rape survivor Brenda Tracy to Nebraska

It's nice to know that Riley is going to be taking a firm stance on misconduct. Being a football player should not mean getting your crimes covered up just because you play for the school.

But on the other hand, a lot of colleges are removing due process for people accused of rape and sexual assault, in some cases even expelling them with only the alleged victims word as evidence.

Holding your players accountable for their behavior is good, and cooperating with police to ensure a thorough investigation to determine the truth of the matter is the best way to do that. So long as it doesn't turn into a witch hunt.

• Fire 6

It's nice to know that Riley is going to be taking a firm stance on misconduct. Being a football player should not mean getting your crimes covered up just because you play for the school.

But on the other hand, a lot of colleges are removing due process for people accused of rape and sexual assault, in some cases even expelling them with only the alleged victims word as evidence.

Holding your players accountable for their behavior is good, and cooperating with police to ensure a thorough investigation to determine the truth of the matter is the best way to do that. So long as it doesn't turn into a witch hunt.

That's how it appears a lot of things go these days. An accusation of domestic assault, murder or many other heinous crimes can be enough to cost someone their job before due process has played out. Sometimes, though, an actual arrest is made prior to some kind of job loss or expulsion.

Before leaving Oregon State and accepting the Nebraska job Riley promised Tracy that he'd sit down with her, and that he wanted her to talk with his football team and help them understand the effect a sex assault has on a survivor.
On the day Riley was announced as the coach at Nebraska, Van De Riet sent word to Tracy that Riley's offer stood. She'd come to Lincoln, not Corvallis, if she desired.

In case anyone wonders, MR's offer to have Brenda Tracy come and speak didn't come about because the Baylor thing is in the news right now. He made the offer to her back at Oregon State. And contacted her before he left for Lincoln to say the offer still stands.

• Fire 3

I think this is great. No doubt Riley could have done better. No doubt many, many college coaches could have done better over the years. And as Tracy says, who better to be a CFB HC today to stand up and start a change than Riley? If one of the nice guys of college football has had to learn from mistakes and treats this as an ongoing educational dialogue, that's a strong signal to send.

I read an article about this on Yahoo. A lot of the comments were something like "Riley better start winning so his guys can get away with anything like when Tom was coach....etc"

Was it really that bad back then? I remember LP and the Peters brothers in a few fights but I wasn't a student at UNL.

Serious question, asking people who were students at UNL when Oz was the coach.

I read an article about this on Yahoo. A lot of the comments were something like "Riley better start winning so his guys can get away with anything like when Tom was coach....etc"

Was it really that bad back then? I remember LP and the Peters brothers in a few fights but I wasn't a student at UNL.

Serious question, asking people who were students at UNL when Oz was the coach.

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/09/25/206647/coach-and-jury-nebraska-players-charged-with-crimes-have-a-steadfast-ally-in-the-man-who-runs-the-program-tom-osborne

• 4 weeks later...