Do We Have The Most Talent Ever?

Didn't want to derail the other tread.

I see a lot of claims that we now have the most talent ever. I say we probably have the most talent in the last 20 years - for sure at the 1-3 spots - but I don't think we really have the most talent ever.

As an exercise, given these two starting lineups, which players would you choose off of each team to make your own starting five? And who would win between these two teams?

95-96

PG - Tyronn Lue - 6-0 - 8.5 ppg, 4.1 apg, 1.4 spg

SG - Erick Strickland - 6-3 - 14.7 ppg, 3.4 apg, 1.7 spg

SF - Jaron Boone - 6-6 - 13.8 ppg, 3.8 apg

PF - Bernard Garner - 6-7 - 10.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.6 bpg

C - Mikki Moore - 6-11 - 9.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.0 bpg

Three of these guys played quite awhile in the NBA

15-16

PG - Glynn Watson - 6-0 - 8.6 ppg, 2.4 apg, 1.2 spg

SG - Anton Gill - 6-3 - 2.5 ppg, 0.7 rpg (two years ago at Louisville)

SF - Andrew White - 6-7 - 16.6 ppg, 0.6 apg, 1.1 spg

PF - Michael Jacobson - 6-8 - 4.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.8 bpg

C - Jordy Tshimanga - 6-11 - Freshman

• Fire 2

And here's another one for your consideration:

92-93

PG - Jamar Johnson - 6-0 - 9.8 ppg, 3.3 apg, 1.7 spg

SG - Eric Piatkowski - 6-7 - 16.7 ppg, 2.5 apg, 1.1 spg

SF - Terrance Badgett - 6-6 - 6.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg

PF - Bruce Chubick - 6-7 - 8.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.6 bpg

C - Derrick Chandler - 6-10 - 11.2 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 1.7 bpg

Didn't want to derail the other tread.

I see a lot of claims that we now have the most talent ever. I say we probably have the most talent in the last 20 years - for sure at the 1-3 spots - but I don't think we really have the most talent ever.

As an exercise, given these two starting lineups, which players would you choose off of each team to make your own starting five? And who would win between these two teams?

95-96

PG - Tyronn Lue - 6-0 - 8.5 ppg, 4.1 apg, 1.4 spg

SG - Erick Strickland - 6-3 - 14.7 ppg, 3.4 apg, 1.7 spg

SF - Jaron Boone - 6-6 - 13.8 ppg, 3.8 apg

PF - Bernard Garner - 6-7 - 10.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.6 bpg

C - Mikki Moore - 6-11 - 9.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.0 bpg

Three of these guys played quite awhile in the NBA

15-16

PG - Glynn Watson - 6-0 - 8.6 ppg, 2.4 apg, 1.2 spg

SG - Anton Gill - 6-3 - 2.5 ppg, 0.7 rpg (two years ago at Louisville)

SF - Andrew White - 6-7 - 16.6 ppg, 0.6 apg, 1.1 spg

PF - Michael Jacobson - 6-8 - 4.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 0.8 bpg

C - Jordy Tshimanga - 6-11 - Freshman

I get where you are coming from and on the court those players from those teams were really good - based on NU standards. However making a comment about their NBA careers as part of the "resume" doesn't seem like an apple to apple comparison considering the 15-16 members haven't even graduated from college / better yet even seen multiple seasons playing for Big Red.

So if you want to make this an on court discussion we need to wait till these guys have at least graduated or better yet wait 5 more years to see how their pro careers pan out.

If you want to discuss talent as in "recruiting ranks" then show me on paper where those above two years had better classes.

So if you want to make this an on court discussion we need to wait till these guys have at least graduated or better yet wait 5 more years to see how their pro careers pan out.

This doesn't seem to be stopping many people - including you I think - from claiming that we have the most talent ever. So which way is it? Are we waiting or are we claiming right now that we have the most talent ever?

If you want to discuss talent as in "recruiting ranks" then show me on paper where those above two years had better classes.

First, I don't think recruiting rankings are necessarily worth all that much. Case in point: "Jake Hammond is a Rivals150 recruit!!!"

Second, I have no idea if there even were recruiting rankings to be had in the 90s. Unless you can show them, how do you know the current players were ranked more highly?

• Fire 1

From a recruiting standpoint I stand by the claim that Miles has out recruited in the past 2 years any NU coach in history for a similar 2 year stretch (minus the 5 spot) - The disclaimer is that he hasn't yet shown that he can get them to play at that level.

On the court our best success was clearly a run in the early 90's and again in the mid/late 90's - The disclaimer being that Nee was deeper into his tenure when this happened and he had some help from some local talent.

From a recruiting standpoint I stand by the claim that Miles has out recruited in the past 2 years any NU coach in history for a similar 2 year stretch (minus the 5 spot) - The disclaimer is that he hasn't yet shown that he can get them to play at that level.

On the court our best success was clearly a run in the early 90's and again in the mid/late 90's - The disclaimer being that Nee was deeper into his tenure when this happened and he had some help from some local talent.

None of which actually answers the questions.

Questions werent worth answering

- Do you really think a group of interested husker fans are going to wait 5-7 years to discuss the players on our bball team?

- Since there weren't any rating services that were out for the public to see you can only go off the buzz that you hear and that has been much louder now then it was back in the early 90's (obviously partly media driven)

Talent compared to success are different things at this point.

While we have the most pure talent of all time, only time will tell if the talent on paper will work on the court.

Another issue comparing those two teams is this:

95-96:

PG - Tyronn Lue -FR

SG - Erick Strickland - SR

SF - Jaron Boone - SR

PF - Bernard Garner - JR

C - Mikki Moore - JR

Guys who played here for their whole careers.

Huskers big time talent guys are mainly FR/Soph or guys who transferred and have only played a year or two.

Again.. not saying this team beats that team... just saying on pure talent we are loaded but need that talent to grow and mature together.

• Fire 1