*** 2019 Recruiting ***

On 4/14/2018 at 11:20 PM, Mavric said:

Dewitt said they don't plan to recruit long snappers but work with other guys they have to get a couple guys ready every season.

I am really glad to hear that. I'm not putting down any of the athletes that we have recruited over the years, but I've never understood why we would recruit a long snapper. 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I am really glad to hear that. I'm not putting down any of the athletes that we have recruited over the years, but I've never understood why we would recruit a long snapper. 

I guess if you are a coach and you are pretty sure your offense is going to suck you might want to invest in some solid special teams players.  Other option would be to invest in an offense that doesn't punt much.  

however if you are going to go with the first option and If i understand the rules right it is a pretty valuable position because the defense can't attack that player as they can the other lineman - so they are pretty important in that they can make a great snap and if they have good speed/open field tackling - they should also have one of the best opportunities to make a play.

“Outside backer is a weird one to recruit in my opinion,” Dewitt said.

“There’s the guy who’s always had his hand in the dirt,” Dewitt said. “He’s been a weak side defensive end when you look him up on whatever recruiting site you’re on. He’s the weak side defensive end and he’s really good at pass rush. You’ve got to be able to now judge — does he have the ability to be a quick twitch guy out in space.?”

“You look at a guy who’s been in the safety spot,” Dewitt said. “He’s 6-foot-2, or 6-foot-3, 200 pounds. Maybe he’s not a Big Ten safety. Maybe he’s a guy that if you roll him down he’s now the strong safety. That’s really what an outside linebackers are, they’re strong safeties. Now he’s above average in terms of quick twitch and filling space.”

“Length is one of the big things we look for,” he said. “And if we want to talk about characteristics that we look for, you want to have a big playing radius. That’s either natural length of speed. You’ve got to have the ability to change directions and you have to be violent. Those are the three things that are non-negotiable.”

“It’s a little different,” he said. “It’s not necessarily a hard thing to convince a recruit, it’s getting them to understand that their skill set translates to it. It’s not a convincing standpoint — I’ve never had anyone say ‘I don’t want to play outside linebacker,’ I’ve not had that. It’s me getting them to understand what our philopshy is and how we’ll approach it, so we can translate their skill set to what we want to do.”

“You’ve got to have the ability as an outside backer to play man, to play in space, be an inside backer, be a five-technique, be a six-technique, be a nine-technique," he said. "That’s a huge variety of skill set. The more you show the ability to do different things, the more you put on film, the more valuable you make yourself to the team and potentially to the next level who want to look at you as well.”

I've always thought it was best to get the 500 mile radius kids early. I think this staff is doing a great job of that. Work on the 4* kids out of that region by constant contact and an official game visit. I have no issues where we are currently at. 

I also want to make the most important recruiting point for a Frost type team. He strictly runs a COLLEGE system. He will plug in kids that wouldn't always work out at Pro Style system, but can flourish here. He has a scheme driven approach to the game. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***