*** 2019 Recruiting ***

7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

^^^ Agreed ... but as a fan base, I'm gonna have to accept that in head to head battles against Oregon, we are gonna lose more of the recruiting battles against them ... BUT THAT IS OKAY ... because of what I said in my prior post.   The more we get back to these things stated in my post the more that even recruits see the :bigredn:  of old we will see a new generation of kids who will want to be a part of the hard work it takes to compete with all the "flash and dash" of the schools who just seem to roll in the talent pool areas.

I'm not even debating that. Simply based off of what I mentioned. I couldn't care less if we lose California kids to them. If Nebraska gets itself right, recruiting will be just fine. Frost knows he needs talent to compete with the top East teams and the annual playoff contenders, but he's trying to fix a culture that is needed to start winning the west.

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

@Treand3, not did I take it that you were.  Yep, agreed.

I know it man. Just think using Oregon as a comparison isn't fair. Truth is the isn't one place in all of college football that is similar to Nebraska, and using a program that has had far more recent success operating with different recruiting pool than Nebraska is a bit unbalanced.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

Guessing you're not considering L.A. to Eugene is a straight shot up I-5. There's also less major programs they have to go against to attract their talent. USC and UCLA can't sign everyone, not every kid can get admitted to Stanford. Arizona, Arizona st and Cal are mediocre programs. Most kids end up staying relatively close to home or somewhere culturally similar. 

The closest major metro areas comparable to L.A. are the Dallas Metroplex and Chicagoland. Oklahoma, Texas, TCU all recruit Dallas-Fort Worth and they can sell that they can play close to home and in the same conference. For Chicaco, there is not nearly the same amount of talent that is produced in southern california(Look at the amount of 4*s that come out of So Cal) St. Louis is actually much smaller than the aforementioned, and OSU is paying rent there right now.

Since everything should be parallel, in that Eugene is 900 miles from Southen California, other metro areas that are approximately the same distance from Lincoln with similar talent are Houston and Atlanta. We all know Nebraska or other B1G schools can't make a living there...its actually funny to think about. Hard pressed to ask kids to to skip the plethora of SEC schools in favor of an average Nebraska program.

Then, put in the factor that if a kid from LA goes to Oregon, he still will be playing games in LA vicinity against UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal...etc.  For Nebraska, there is no guarantee we will play a game in Texas and we might play a game in Ohio every few years.

• Plus1 1

The same people that complain we don't offer enough in-state or 500 mile radius kids are the same ones who complain about the players rating. 

Piper, Snodgrass, and Nelson are average rated 3 star players. Grayson is only a 2 star. If 4 years from now we aren't winning games people can point to recruiting, but for now it's all about kids who fit this culture and scheme which IMO has been one of the biggest factors for Nebraska not being 'Nebraska' for so long. 

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The same people that complain we don't offer enough in-state or 500 mile radius kids are the same ones who complain about the players rating. 

Piper, Snodgrass, and Nelson are average rated 3 star players. Grayson is only a 2 star. If 4 years from now we aren't winning games people can point to recruiting, but for now it's all about kids who fit this culture and scheme which IMO has been one of the biggest factors for Nebraska not being 'Nebraska' for so long. 

Watch those tapes and you'll see some quality football players. If we can keep Grayson after his senior year, be impressed. He will have callers.

• Plus1 1

Right now we have room for 18 but there are rumors of a couple more guys already gone and there will probably be more.  Everyone seems to expect this class to still push 25.

Priority:

OT - A continued trouble spot  but we'll see what the new guys can do

DT - Need to re-stock

CB - We'll have to see how the 2018 guys slot in but we don't have a lot of young ones

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - THOMAS GRAYSONRAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS, Tyler Goodson, Josh Henderson, Wandale Robinson
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEMarcus Washington, Mycah Pittman, Kyle Ford, Marlyn Johnson, Jameson Williams, Brieon Fuller, Rashee Rice
TE - 1-2 - Chris Hickman
OT - 2-3 - MATTHEW ANDERSON, Jayme SimmonsTaylor Miterko, Bryce Benhart, Michael Lynn, Danielson Ike, Chris Okporoghene, Grant Treiber
OG/C - 2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMcKade Mettauer, William Putnam

NT - 1-2 - JUCO Tony Fair
DE - 2 - ETHAN PIPERTy Robinson, Mosai Newsom, Stephon Wright
LB - 3-4 - GARRETT SNODGRASS, GARRETT NELSON, JACKSON HANNAH, Nick Henrich, Makobe Dean, Spencer Lytle, Ge'mon Eaford, JUCO Jermaine Johnson, Maninoa Tufono, Peni Naulu, Zach Marcheselli, Daniel Heimuli, Kevon Glenn
CB - 2 - Javin Wright, Isaiah Essissima, Tiawan Mullen
S - 2 - Quinton Newsome, Cornelius Nunn

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 6

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Right now we have room for 18 but there are rumors of a couple more guys already gone and there will probably be more.  Everyone seems to expect this class to still push 25.

Priority:

OT - A continued trouble spot  but we'll see what the new guys can do

DT - Need to re-stock

CB - We'll have to see how the 2018 guys slot in but we don't have a lot of young ones

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - THOMAS GRAYSONRAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS, Tyler Goodson, Josh Henderson, Wandale Robinson
WR - 3-4 - Marcus Washington, Mycah Pittman, Kyle Ford, Marlyn Johnson, Jameson Williams, Brieon Fuller, Rashee RiceJamie Nance
TE - 1-2 - Chris Hickman
OT - 2-3 - MATTHEW ANDERSON, Jayme SimmonsTaylor Miterko, Bryce Benhart, Michael Lynn, Danielson Ike, Chris Okporoghene, Grant Treiber
OG/C - 1-2 - JUCO DESMOND BLANDMcKade Mettauer, William Putnam

NT - 1-2 - JUCO Tony Fair
DE - 2 - ETHAN PIPERTy Robinson, Mosai Newsom, Stephon Wright
LB - 3-4 - GARRETT SNODGRASS, GARRETT NELSON, JACKSON HANNAH, Nick Henrich, Makobe Dean, Spencer Lytle, Ge'mon Eaford, JUCO Jermaine Johnson, Maninoa Tufono, Peni Naulu, Zach Marcheselli, Daniel Heimuli, Kevon Glenn
CB - 2 - Javin Wright, Isaiah Essissima, Tiawan Mullen
S - 2 - Quinton Newsome, Cornelius Nunn

Thank you for keeping this updated.  One question.  Are the players listed in a particular order?  Like are they listed by likelihood of committing or the highest priority of the coaches from what you know?

30 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Thank you for keeping this updated.  One question.  Are the players listed in a particular order?  Like are they listed by likelihood of committing or the highest priority of the coaches from what you know?

No order.  Other than generally when they were added to the list (except for the commits who are moved to the front, of course).

12 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Almost all of Oregon's California commits are from the LA area.  Which is almost 900 miles from Eugene.  Nebraska is  in the 900 mile range of some large talent bases.  

Yeah but Nebraska is much further away from mountains, an ocean, and a mental perception in the heads of United States citizens as a populous and happening place :lol: 

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't believe that very many players that came to Nebraska during the Callahan years or Pelini years looked at TO winning in 97 or Solich losing in 02 as a deciding factor to come to Nebraska.  And besides.  We weren't attracting a ton of big time players outside of a couple of recruiting classes.

I think there's a lot of truth to this. For example, I remember Mike Schaefer was asked this week if Frost's Oregon days are ever mentioned by recruits during interviews/discussions. Schaefer said no. He suggested the more often talked about things are UCF's success last year and/or just the kind of offense Frost operates in general.

Schaefer also said recruits tend to believe they're the guy who can fix or fill a problem on a team, so they're not always concerned about how a program did the previous year. He cited Tennessee as an example of how a program can be a relative dumpster fire but still recruit fairly well.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***