*** 2019 Recruiting ***

20 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think there's a lot of truth to this. For example, I remember Mike Schaefer was asked this week if Frost's Oregon days are ever mentioned by recruits during interviews/discussions. Schaefer said no. He suggested the more often talked about things are UCF's success last year and/or just the kind of offense Frost operates in general.

Schaefer also said recruits tend to believe they're the guy who can fix or fill a problem on a team, so they're not always concerned about how a program did the previous year. He cited Tennessee as an example of how a program can be a relative dumpster fire but still recruit fairly well.

I mean ... we just got a commit who said he liked what Frost/Kelly did at Oregon.  I'm sure it's not a huge percentage of guys but saying it doesn't happen isn't correct.

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... we just got a commit who said he liked what Frost/Kelly did at Oregon.  I'm sure it's not a huge percentage of guys but saying it doesn't happen isn't correct.

You'd probably have to hear the question that was posed to him as I'm not relaying it with 100% accuracy. Ultimately, I believe the point he was making is along the lines of your second sentence there. A small percentage of players mention or bring up Oregon specifically but it's otherwise not a huge discussion point. If I can find the link I'll share it.

I think its probably fair to say when frost is selling to the kids he picks out a well known player like Lamichael James, De-ANthony Thomas. Shaqeum Griffin etc. The most successful guy at that position for either UCF or Oregon and uses that as a selling point. Probably shows some film of that guy at oregon or UCF and uses that to sell how they envision using them. So yes I would say it has an impact. 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think its probably fair to say when frost is selling to the kids he picks out a well known player like Lamichael James, De-ANthony Thomas. Shaqeum Griffin etc. The most successful guy at that position for either UCF or Oregon and uses that as a selling point. Probably shows some film of that guy at oregon or UCF and uses that to sell how they envision using them. So yes I would say it has an impact. 

It's maybe going to impact a couple of recruits.  But overall, I don't see it being as big of a factor as some might want to make it out to be.

52 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm sure it is.  I just don't believe it has much impact on many of them on their decision of where to commit.

I envision myself as an 18 year old kid- who is damn good at football. Scott Frost is in my living room. I know full well what Oregon has been doing the last 15 years. The explosiveness, the 70 points and all the great players. Competing for a national championship. Marcus Mariotta- LaMichael James- De'Anthony Thomas. Scott Frost was front and center of it all. Then he takes that to UCF and shows he can replicate it- not only replicate it but turn a winless team to undefeated in 2 years. Now he is at Nebraska- looking to do it again. A history rich program that has been in the dumps for 20 years looking to rise to prominence again. A blue blood in waiting- a sleeping giant- who now has the right coach. I am thinking to myself I want to be part of that- I want to be on sportscenter as they talk about how Nebraska is back- the new alabama of the 2020's. I want to be running all over the field scoring 70 points like UCF and Oregon but only with the red N on my helmet. The media will be all over a rising Nebraska. I am 18 and athletic so i want to be put in space to run and score points. 

You cant tell me painting that vision in those kids minds, then the can look at tangible results. Its not a pipe dream. He showed he can do it. He replicated the oregon system and made it even better. Now he is at a blue blood program to do the same. Come on. It matters.

32 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I envision myself as an 18 year old kid- who is damn good at football. Scott Frost is in my living room. I know full well what Oregon has been doing the last 15 years. The explosiveness, the 70 points and all the great players. Competing for a national championship. Marcus Mariotta- LaMichael James- De'Anthony Thomas. Scott Frost was front and center of it all. Then he takes that to UCF and shows he can replicate it- not only replicate it but turn a winless team to undefeated in 2 years. Now he is at Nebraska- looking to do it again. A history rich program that has been in the dumps for 20 years looking to rise to prominence again. A blue blood in waiting- a sleeping giant- who now has the right coach. I am thinking to myself I want to be part of that- I want to be on sportscenter as they talk about how Nebraska is back- the new alabama of the 2020's. I want to be running all over the field scoring 70 points like UCF and Oregon but only with the red N on my helmet. The media will be all over a rising Nebraska. I am 18 and athletic so i want to be put in space to run and score points. 

You cant tell me painting that vision in those kids minds, then the can look at tangible results. Its not a pipe dream. He showed he can do it. He replicated the oregon system and made it even better. Now he is at a blue blood program to do the same. Come on. It matters.

I have said I doubt it matters to very many.  I didn't say it doesn't matter to any.  Perhaps a couple per class

On 6/27/2018 at 8:25 AM, BIG ERN said:

The same people that complain we don't offer enough in-state or 500 mile radius kids are the same ones who complain about the players rating. 

Piper, Snodgrass, and Nelson are average rated 3 star players. Grayson is only a 2 star. If 4 years from now we aren't winning games people can point to recruiting, but for now it's all about kids who fit this culture and scheme which IMO has been one of the biggest factors for Nebraska not being 'Nebraska' for so long. 

Just to add to this, the ratings on Grayson and Nelson will change. Both might end up receiving 4 stars by the end of their SR year. 

I do have to say some of the recruiting updates on the threads lately are pretty impressive. This list of kids would be very impressive if we landed them all and sounds like we are in pretty good shape to have a legit shot to land them. 

Hickman, Henrich, Jameson, Nance, Coleman, Sanguinetti, Robinson. 

All rated as 4 star or almost.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2019 Recruiting ***