*** 2019 Recruiting ***

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yeah.  I know that.  I guess I was just curious at the post by spurs that it would be a relief if he had one.

Spur made a comment that we would have 4 next year- right now we have 1.  So that is a gain of 3 - if my math skills are correct you got 33.33% out of his post.  Not quite passing grade but better than 0.000%

• Haha 1
Just now, GBRFAN said:

Spur made a comment that we would have 4 next year- right now we have 1.  So that is a gain of 3 - if my math skills are correct you got 33.33% out of his post.  Not quite passing grade but better than 0.000%

His comment was that it would be a relief if Bunch being one of the 4 had a scholarship.  I'm curious as to why.  I guess i haven't seen anything from him that warrants it.  

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

His comment was that it would be a relief if Bunch being one of the 4 had a scholarship.  I'm curious as to why.  I guess i haven't seen anything from him that warrants it.  

I get what your saying. Also if Bunch has a scholarship or doesnt have a scholarship it doesnt make him better because he gets put on scholarship. I know I wont feel better to say we have 4 scholarship QB's if only 3 are good.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get what your saying. Also if Bunch has a scholarship or doesnt have a scholarship it doesnt make him better because he gets put on scholarship. I know I wont feel better to say we have 4 scholarship QB's if only 3 are good.

Right.  That's all I'm saying.  Having Bunch on scholarship next year doesn't really add anything to us, in my opinion.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It doesn't make you feel better to at least have someone with game experience? He's not garbage. 

36 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

It doesn't make you feel better to at least have someone with game experience? He's not garbage. 

Based on the game I just watched- that's not the kind of game experience that makes me feel warm and fuzzy that he is on our team and the next best option at the moment. I think your missing the point. What St. Paul and I are saying is your schollarship QB's next year would be 1. Martinez- 2. McCaffrey- 3. Vedral. Then you could have a 4th if you put Bunch on scholarship. But I would not feel any different if we had 3 or gave bunch a scholly to be the 4th. Just because you would give him a scholly doesnt mean we now have 4 good QB's. Whether he has a scholly or is still a walk on next year doesnt make him better or more valuable to the team. 

In my mind. Save the scholly for a high school kid who has a real shot to contribute to the team. It wouldnt need to be a QB, pick up an extra OL or DB. Like we do with most of our walk on guys- when they are a senior and we have open scholly's give them out to reward hard work. But I think we need to increase our talent as much as possible and I dont think the right way to do that is to give a kid a schollarship spot who outside of injury this year to martinez will never see the field again. Next year we will have Duval and McAffrey. With another 4 star QB coming in the next year. From this year on he will only fall farther down the depth chart.

5 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Is he going to leave if he doesn't get one? Don't just give him one because its the nice thing to do. If he's passed by verdal and the freshman whats the point of using a scholarship on him?

If he's passed by Vedral, I think he should still earned one of the scholarships that come after someone transfers and frees one up for a year. Saying he's going to get passed by Vedral is as hypothetical as saying he's going to get a scholarship though. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have him on the team and am not ready to say he's not worthy based on his first and only start.

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

If he's passed by Vedral, I think he should still earned one of the scholarships that come after someone transfers and frees one up for a year. Saying he's going to get passed by Vedral is as hypothetical as saying he's going to get a scholarship though. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have him on the team and am not ready to say he's not worthy based on his first and only start.

WWAD. 

"What Would Alabama Do" 

Just Sayin.

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Alabama would have found a way for Gebbia to want to stay and have had two capable starters (i.e. Hurts and Tua situation). Not an applicable comparison at this point. 

Good point. But we are past that. I just meant in this situation. They would NOT give out any pitty scholarships. They would fill every spot with high potential talent.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good point. But we are past that. I just meant in this situation. They would NOT give out any pitty scholarships. They would fill every spot with high potential talent.

Don't use Alabama if we can't actually compare WWAD..

I get your point. At this point, I'm just saying withhold judgement. It's all a big what-if game right now. Say Martinez gets hurt again (God forbid, knocking on wood) and Bunch comes in for a multigame stretch and outperforms his first start ever. He does well enough and becomes experienced enough that he moves above Vedral. What do you do then? I don't believe Vedral is miles ahead of him. Especially if Bunch is forced into action multiple games this year and improves. 

I do see your point though. I'm ending my argument with withhold your judgement on Bunch until we have a full picture. It's not time to burry this kid as automatic 4th string. Ideally we won't even need to go there. Same with Vedral.