Mavric

*** 2019 Recruiting ***

58 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Sigh... semi-confusing when you said we held off LSU in 2017... welll that was the 2018 class (Jurgens) 

Who did UCLA want in 2017 class?

I didn’t conveniently leave it out, it won’t let me post it. Too large of a file somehow.

I never said anything about LSU. Not sure where you are getting that from.

Allen had offers from Iowa, Iowa St, UCLA, and UCF.

50 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I never said anything about LSU. Not sure where you are getting that from.

Allen had offers from Iowa, Iowa St, UCLA, and UCF.

LSU was after Jurgens.

7 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

LSU was after Jurgens.

Correct.  But I never mentioned LSU anywhere, you brought in LSU for some reason I have yet to figure out.

But back to my original point, it has been only 2 years since we signed everyone from Nebraska that we wanted.

34 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Correct.  But I never mentioned LSU anywhere, you brought in LSU for some reason I have yet to figure out.

But back to my original point, it has been only 2 years since we signed everyone from Nebraska that we wanted.

Frost held off LSU was my point for a highly touted in state kid.

As I said, the big misses seemed to make it feel longer. Hats off to Riley for keeping those guys in state at Nebraska for 1 of his 3 years.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter WHO we held off to get the players we want.  It matters that we got them and it will matter if they make a difference for the team.

17 commits right now.  22 open spots plus however many over-signs.  One less if Bunch gets a scholarship.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS
WR - 2-3 - JAMIE NANCEMarcus Washington, Jameson WilliamsWandale Robinson
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3-4 - MATTHEW ANDERSON, MICHAEL LYNN, Bryce Benhart, Danielson Ike, Dohnovan West, Zay Flowers
OG/C - 2 - JUCO DESMOND BLAND

NT - 1-2 - JUCO TONY FAIR
DE - 2-3 - ETHAN PIPERMOSAI NEWSOM, Ty Robinson, Brant Banks
LB - 4-5 - GARRETT SNODGRASS, GARRETT NELSON, JACKSON HANNAH, NICK HENRICH
CB - 2 - QUINTON NEWSOME, Javin Wright, Tavian Mayo, Jarrad Baker
S - 2 - Jamel Starks, Noa Pola-Gates, Josh SanguinettiKenny Logan

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, Mavric said:

17 commits right now.  22 open spots plus however many over-signs.  One less if Bunch gets a scholarship.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 2-3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLSWandale Robinson
WR - 2-3 - JAMIE NANCEMarcus Washington, Jameson Williams
TE - 1 - CHRIS HICKMAN
OT - 3-4 - MATTHEW ANDERSON, MICHAEL LYNN, Bryce Benhart, Danielson Ike, Dohnovan West, Zay Flowers
OG/C - 2 - JUCO DESMOND BLAND

NT - 1-2 - JUCO TONY FAIR
DE - 2-3 - ETHAN PIPERMOSAI NEWSOM, Ty Robinson, Brant Banks
LB - 4-5 - GARRETT SNODGRASS, GARRETT NELSON, JACKSON HANNAH, NICK HENRICH
CB - 2 - QUINTON NEWSOME, Javin Wright, Tavian Mayo, Jarrad Baker
S - 2 - Jamel Starks, Noa Pola-Gates, Josh Sanguinetti

ATH - Kenny Logan

You'd think Bunch would almost have to have one right? Having 4 on scholarship next year will feel like such a relief in comparison to this year. Vedral may or may not beat out Bunch but it'll be nice to at least have options. It'll be huge to have a Frost picked QB too in McCafferey. Not having to hold your breath every hit will be awesome.

24 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

What difference does it make if Bunch has one or not?

You only get 85.  If he gets one of them, there are only 84 left for everyone else.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Mavric said:

You only get 85.  If he gets one of them, there are only 84 left for everyone else.

Yeah.  I know that.  I guess I was just curious at the post by spurs that it would be a relief if he had one.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Yeah.  I know that.  I guess I was just curious at the post by spurs that it would be a relief if he had one.

Spur made a comment that we would have 4 next year- right now we have 1.  So that is a gain of 3 - if my math skills are correct you got 33.33% out of his post.  Not quite passing grade but better than 0.000%

• Haha 1

Just now, GBRFAN said:

Spur made a comment that we would have 4 next year- right now we have 1.  So that is a gain of 3 - if my math skills are correct you got 33.33% out of his post.  Not quite passing grade but better than 0.000%

His comment was that it would be a relief if Bunch being one of the 4 had a scholarship.  I'm curious as to why.  I guess i haven't seen anything from him that warrants it.  

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

His comment was that it would be a relief if Bunch being one of the 4 had a scholarship.  I'm curious as to why.  I guess i haven't seen anything from him that warrants it.  

I get what your saying. Also if Bunch has a scholarship or doesnt have a scholarship it doesnt make him better because he gets put on scholarship. I know I wont feel better to say we have 4 scholarship QB's if only 3 are good.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get what your saying. Also if Bunch has a scholarship or doesnt have a scholarship it doesnt make him better because he gets put on scholarship. I know I wont feel better to say we have 4 scholarship QB's if only 3 are good.

Right.  That's all I'm saying.  Having Bunch on scholarship next year doesn't really add anything to us, in my opinion.

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It doesn't make you feel better to at least have someone with game experience? He's not garbage. 

35 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

It doesn't make you feel better to at least have someone with game experience? He's not garbage. 

Is he going to leave if he doesn't get one? Don't just give him one because its the nice thing to do. If he's passed by verdal and the freshman whats the point of using a scholarship on him?

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Based on the game I just watched- that's not the kind of game experience that makes me feel warm and fuzzy that he is on our team and the next best option at the moment. I think your missing the point. What St. Paul and I are saying is your schollarship QB's next year would be 1. Martinez- 2. McCaffrey- 3. Vedral. Then you could have a 4th if you put Bunch on scholarship. But I would not feel any different if we had 3 or gave bunch a scholly to be the 4th. Just because you would give him a scholly doesnt mean we now have 4 good QB's. Whether he has a scholly or is still a walk on next year doesnt make him better or more valuable to the team. 

In my mind. Save the scholly for a high school kid who has a real shot to contribute to the team. It wouldnt need to be a QB, pick up an extra OL or DB. Like we do with most of our walk on guys- when they are a senior and we have open scholly's give them out to reward hard work. But I think we need to increase our talent as much as possible and I dont think the right way to do that is to give a kid a schollarship spot who outside of injury this year to martinez will never see the field again. Next year we will have Duval and McAffrey. With another 4 star QB coming in the next year. From this year on he will only fall farther down the depth chart.

5 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Is he going to leave if he doesn't get one? Don't just give him one because its the nice thing to do. If he's passed by verdal and the freshman whats the point of using a scholarship on him?

If he's passed by Vedral, I think he should still earned one of the scholarships that come after someone transfers and frees one up for a year. Saying he's going to get passed by Vedral is as hypothetical as saying he's going to get a scholarship though. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have him on the team and am not ready to say he's not worthy based on his first and only start.

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

If he's passed by Vedral, I think he should still earned one of the scholarships that come after someone transfers and frees one up for a year. Saying he's going to get passed by Vedral is as hypothetical as saying he's going to get a scholarship though. 

Regardless, I'm happy to have him on the team and am not ready to say he's not worthy based on his first and only start.

WWAD. 

"What Would Alabama Do" 

Just Sayin.

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

WWAD. 

"What Would Alabama Do" 

Just Sayin.

Alabama would have found a way for Gebbia to want to stay and have had two capable starters (i.e. Hurts and Tua situation). Not an applicable comparison at this point. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Alabama would have found a way for Gebbia to want to stay and have had two capable starters (i.e. Hurts and Tua situation). Not an applicable comparison at this point. 

Good point. But we are past that. I just meant in this situation. They would NOT give out any pitty scholarships. They would fill every spot with high potential talent.

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good point. But we are past that. I just meant in this situation. They would NOT give out any pitty scholarships. They would fill every spot with high potential talent.

Don't use Alabama if we can't actually compare WWAD..

I get your point. At this point, I'm just saying withhold judgement. It's all a big what-if game right now. Say Martinez gets hurt again (God forbid, knocking on wood) and Bunch comes in for a multigame stretch and outperforms his first start ever. He does well enough and becomes experienced enough that he moves above Vedral. What do you do then? I don't believe Vedral is miles ahead of him. Especially if Bunch is forced into action multiple games this year and improves. 

I do see your point though. I'm ending my argument with withhold your judgement on Bunch until we have a full picture. It's not time to burry this kid as automatic 4th string. Ideally we won't even need to go there. Same with Vedral.

1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

Not really.  

32 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Based on his first and only start, he isn't worthy.  That doesn't mean if he improves and gets more time that he still won't be worthy.  But there wasn't much evidence, in my opinion, that he did anything to deserve one.  Let alone make me feel better that he has one.

But it's one game.  Time will tell.

Word is we think we could take up to 30 in this class.  But that's probably only if everything falls just right and we have a bunch of guys we really want.  But that would make it sound like 27-28 is a real possibility.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Word is we think we could take up to 30 in this class.  But that's probably only if everything falls just right and we have a bunch of guys we really want.  But that would make it sound like 27-28 is a real possibility.

I really like this possibility.  It would speed up any transition to the new system....that is...if we get guys that we want that fit the system.

There will be another exodus this off season. 30 should be pretty easy to hit, will just use early enrollees to count backwards. I'm lazy - how much room to we have to count backwards? The back counting is always great... until the year before was also massive and there probably isn't room in that class either.

So..

If we brought in 50 new faces this past class including walk-ons.

Then..

We bring in 30 in this class + 20~ walk-ons in the 2019 class.

Equals..

100/130 Players in the program will be recruited by Frost or have chosen to stay in the program with him after 20 months. So the buy-in horse will definitely be dead come next season.

Cant wait! GBR

247 has an article about Frost saying there is not only a development gap but a recruiting gap between Nebraska and Michigan. 

We didn’t look like Michigan looked on Saturday and that’s the part that recruiting gets you,” 

We knew development had to get better but at least the acknowledgement that we need better recruits is now being publicly stated by him.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Scott-Frost-says-Nebraska-didnt-look-like-Michigan-in-a-lot-of-ways-on-Saturday-122460445/

• Plus1 2

We are at a level where i don't mind taking risk - Washington is a perfect example and i'm sure there are others.  Depth can be created by walkon's and top recruits that don't pan out.  The one's need to be superstars and in some cases we are going to have to gamble to get those types of guys.

16 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

247 has an article about Frost saying there is not only a development gap but a recruiting gap between Nebraska and Michigan. 

We didn’t look like Michigan looked on Saturday and that’s the part that recruiting gets you,” 

We knew development had to get better but at least the acknowledgement that we need better recruits is now being publicly stated by him.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Scott-Frost-says-Nebraska-didnt-look-like-Michigan-in-a-lot-of-ways-on-Saturday-122460445/

Loved this one from Frost:  

"“We ran a bunch of young guys out there, and we’ve got some young guys that are going to be great players, but they have 22-year-olds and we had 18-year-olds in some positions,” he said. “They’ve recruited well for several years with [Jim] Harbaugh, they’ve developed well, and that’s where I want us to be in a couple years. We’re going to fight right now, and the guys we’ve got are good enough to be a really good team if we put it all together."