Gun Control

I think we should all be allowed to own those arms they were talking about it...those awesome muskets!

I want a horse-drawn cannon!

And as well you should! It is your right! With your horse-drawn cannon and my late 1700's musket...we would be some bad-ass-mo-fo's!

Why do people need assault rifles to hunt?

I'm assuming you mean a AR-15 rifle, not a real assault rifle since they're effectively banned? In that case, there's zero functional difference between a standard AR-15 and a ranch rifle like the ruger mini 14 that's been used for hunting for over half a century, other than the fact that it's black.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 5

This was the worst mass shooting event in U.S. History. 50 people killed, at least 50 more injured. While horrific, mass shootings comprise only a small fraction of overall gun violence in the United States.

For perspective,

- Guns kill 36 people on average every day in the United States.

- There were 45 school campus shootings in 2015 by October.

- 69 people were shot in Chicago this Memorial Day weekend.

- 130,000 people are shot every year in the United States.

Because guns are accessible even if illegal, I can only assume these numbers are completely typical around the world.

The good news is that there is literally nothing that we can or should do about this. Because gun violence as well as mass shootings can't ever be eliminated completely, the status quo must stand. Or so we're told.

• Fire 1

What about explosive materials Zoogs? Lets say guns do get regulated or even go away all together, do these extremists/criminals/unstable people all of a sudden become good people? Do they continue to find a way to commit such violence?

It might not be the mass murder but they are still lives that get killed through other avenues. One life is also 1 too much.

I just have a REALLY hard time accepting that these crimes and horrible incidents only blame the weapon and not the abstract of the shooter. It's not easy! It's not! It's absolutely disgusting! Horrible!

How do you turn an intolerant person into a more accepting person?!

• Fire 1

I'm assuming you mean a AR-15 rifle, not a real assault rifle since they're effectively banned? In that case, there's zero functional difference between a standard AR-15 and a ranch rifle like the ruger mini 14 that's been used for hunting for over half a century, other than the fact that it's black.

Thanks. I actually wanted a real answer. I know next to nothing about guns.

What about explosive materials Zoogs? Lets say guns do get regulated or even go away all together, do these extremists/criminals/unstable people all of a sudden become good people? Do they continue to find a way to commit such violence?

It might not be the mass murder but they are still lives that get killed through other avenues. One life is also 1 too much.

I just have a REALLY hard time accepting that these crimes and horrible incidents only blame the weapon and not the abstract of the shooter. It's not easy! It's not! It's absolutely disgusting! Horrible!

How do you turn an intolerant person into a more accepting person?!

You can't do away with criminals.

But I completely do not accept that you can't reduce gun violence by reducing access.

It's simply a question of whether we want to. And hey. If people feel strongly about their guns, then we, as a society, continue to decide that these are acceptable costs -- as we have been. I hope for a day where that's different, but it's not this day (again). I also don't accept that reducing gun violence doesn't cut violence overall. Guns are far more efficient killing devices and they enable deaths that otherwise don't happen.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Thanks. I actually wanted a real answer. I know next to nothing about guns.

Yes, and cosmetically looks like the guns in movies. Which is the driving force behind the fear of AR-15 of those who don't know anything about guns.

• Fire 1