Gun Control

It's high time people (and groups like the NRA) stop treating guns like they're going extinct.

We still have more guns (and simpler gun laws) than most other advanced first world countries. The 2nd Amendment is also never, ever going to go away. The fear associated with arming our citizens and fighting for the truth is bullsh#t.

• 1 month later...

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Proof of what I have said for a long time.

The uproar over the "Democrats taking our guns away" is primarily pushed by gun and ammunition manufacturers who find that the more scared people are about their guns being taken away, the more they will buy.

It's a genius marketing ploy.

I think they absolutely do play into it, but at the same time, there's also a bit of truth to it as well. Policies adopted in NY and California have contributed to the "they're gonna take our guns" hysteria.

Also, along those lines, I'm totally not surprised to see the "pro gun" stuff that Trump "promised" on his campaign trail be nothing but a bunch of BS. The only thing he's contributed is falling prices. Lots of dealers (and manufactures) churned stuff out like crazy before the election, only to see the bottom fall out, and prices on stuff like AR's hit rock bottom. I've held off on a couple purchases because I think the low point  for the past 8+ years is gonna be this coming holiday season.

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Two interesting sides to armed citizens in a chaotic situation - one good and one bad.

Police say shoppers pulling guns in response to Walmart shooting slowed their investigation

And then this from the Texas shooting.

One thing I thought about with the Sutherland Springs tragedy is they needed someone to do this in a rural Texas town that may not have a quick response time or help for miles. If no one would have shot at this man he could very well still be on the run right now. Then you have a complete 180 with the Colorado situation. There you have professionals in close proximity and it's  best to let them handle these situations except in extenuating circumstances. 

@commando very true, but I think the other variables are still worth discussing and exploring because they're probably always going to be relevant issues.

I don't think there's an easy answer or an easy way to parse through them. Both examples show the costs and benefits of an armed citizen in a chaotic situation.

fwiw.....i think bump stocks and large capacity magazines should be outlawed.  the only reason for both of those items is to kill a lot of people in a hurry.   and trump should reverse his reversal of obamas executive order that limited gun sales to people who had mental issues.   those items are very basic limitations that would not stop 99% of gun sales but would limit the damage that these nutjobs can do.  of course handguns still kill many more americans that assault rifles can but damn....can't we at least try to limit the carnage a little bit?

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and to make it even worse.... i think i heard that they were new tracks.

yep....

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/derailment-occurred-along-new-181m-rail-corridor/

Mike Lindblom 
By 
Seattle Times transportation reporter

Monday’s fatal derailment of an Amtrak train occurred on a rebuilt, $181 million passenger corridor that was supposed to make the trip between Seattle and Portland more reliable.

Amtrak Cascades 501, with 79 people aboard, was the first scheduled trip to use a new 14.5-mile “bypass” track directly from Tacoma to DuPont, instead of a slow but scenic path along Puget Sound at Tacoma Narrows.

Edited by commando
13 minutes ago, commando said:

and to make it even worse.... i think i heard that they were new tracks.

From what I've seen/read the route was new, but the tracks were existing.  But regarding the main point of Trump being a hypocrite, are you surprised?

Edited by funhusker