Gun Control

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Problem is, you're going to lose manufacturers for both Ammo and Firearms every time you go through a cycle. Not a long-term prescription for success in any industry. A genius marking ploy is one that can sustain sales--not create peaks and troughs in your sales. 

And if there are moves made to restrict AR ownership/sales and/or impose some control over sales, you won't need to wait for a Democratic congress for this to happen. Just make sure you have plenty of popcorn on hand for the fireworks. :snacks:

This "Trump" cycle is the only one they have lost in.  A typical Republican would not have caused this downturn in sales.

21 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Did you know he interpreted the phrase "well-regulated" to mean "the imposition of proper discipline and training" rather than anything about guns? What a bunch of phooey.

I don't think that interpretation is a bunch of phooey.  The constitution's well-regulated militia is directly related to the Articles of Federation 's definition of the same, and it (the AOF) has a longer and more descriptive version.

basically it refers to State Militias (forerunners to the National Guard).  In the early days there were many issues with training, supplies, and deserters, because it was a part-time civilian force.  

Scalia's interpretation sounds more accurate to the original intent to me.  The question I have is the original intent of the second part.  It may have referred to militias too, but it sure doesn't read that way.  I wish the framers had added a sentence or two to clarify it all.

i think there is folly in thinking the constitution is perfect and not needing revisions.

• Plus1 3

I’ve covered gun violence for years. The solutions aren’t a big mystery.

As I see it, the core issue is that America as a whole refuses to even admit it has a serious problem with guns and gun violence. And more than that, lawmakers continue acting like the solutions are some sort of mystery, as if there aren’t years of research and experiences in other countries that show restrictions on firearms can save lives.

• Plus1 4

So....I'm sitting here listening to the meeting at the White House with parents, teachers and kids on gun control and school violence.

Guess what, almost everyone I have heard speak have gone through the, "thank you President Trump for doing such a great job.  I know you will do the right thing and thank you for your leadership"

What a farce.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....I'm sitting here listening to the meeting at the White House with parents, teachers and kids on gun control and school violence.

Guess what, almost everyone I have heard speak have gone through the, "thank you President Trump for doing such a great job.  I know you will do the right thing and thank you for your leadership"

What a farce.  

Were any of those kids the ones who were publicly complaining about political inaction after the shooting?

Let me ask you this.  I fully support making changes to our gun laws to help prevent mass shootings.   I keep seeing people say we need to ban all semi-automatic guns.  Are we talking about certain kinds of semi-automatics or all semi-automatics?  I think there needs to be some education on exactly what that all means.  Let me give two examples.

1)  I have used semi-automatic shot guns for bird hunting.  They are very good for this use and, for the most part, aren't any different than a pump shotgun as far as ability for someone to take it and kill masses of people.

2)  I have never owned a hand gun simply because I have never had a need.  However, a hobby I have wanted to get into when I finally become and empty nester (May 2018 :)) is to to more hiking and camping in the mountains.  This is bear and mountain lion country.  I know people who do this and have been talking to them for a long time.  One thing is, you take a hand gun for safety.  You don't want to be staring down a mountain lion and not be able to protect yourself.

Both of these examples use semi-automatic weapons for completely reasonable and non-threatening reasons.

How can we balance this.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me ask you this.  I fully support making changes to our gun laws to help prevent mass shootings.   I keep seeing people say we need to ban all semi-automatic guns.  Are we talking about certain kinds of semi-automatics or all semi-automatics?  I think there needs to be some education on exactly what that all means.  Let me give two examples.

1)  I have used semi-automatic shot guns for bird hunting.  They are very good for this use and, for the most part, aren't any different than a pump shotgun as far as ability for someone to take it and kill masses of people.

2)  I have never owned a hand gun simply because I have never had a need.  However, a hobby I have wanted to get into when I finally become and empty nester (May 2018 :)) is to to more hiking and camping in the mountains.  This is bear and mountain lion country.  I know people who do this and have been talking to them for a long time.  One thing is, you take a hand gun for safety.  You don't want to be staring down a mountain lion and not be able to protect yourself.

Both of these examples use semi-automatic weapons for completely reasonable and non-threatening reasons.

How can we balance this.

We need better definitions of what is or isn't a semi-automatic weapon, and/or what is or isn't an "assault weapon," because there's debate about what those are even among gun aficionados. 

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What a farce.  

I mean this is the guy that got a room full of congressmen and cabinet members to go around the table and embarrassingly kiss his ass in front of the cameras.  This is what photo-ops for this president are...  They are made to not pop his bubble and to stroke his massive ego and impersonate the propaganda of a third world dictatorship.  He envy's men like Putin and other "strong" dictators that surround themselves with yes-men and can get rid of anyone who opposes them, he's said as much prior to the election.

• Plus1 1