Gun Control

I personally believe that America will be in ashes and ruins before any changes are ever made for any reason to the Constitution.

There are way too many people who worship every letter in the document as though it's written by God himself to allow any real meaningful debate on making changes.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I personally believe that America will be in ashes and ruins before any changes are ever made for any reason to the Constitution.

There are way too many people who worship every letter in the document as though it's written by God himself to allow any real meaningful debate on making changes.

But that's the joke--if they truly did, then they'd realize that individual citizens aren't a well-regulated militia, and we wouldn't be having these discussions. 

Plus, they don't worship every letter too hard or look at documented precedent from the framers of the Constitution when it comes to an amendment that conflicts with their wants, like prayer in school and separation of Church and State. 

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

But that's the joke--if they truly did, then they'd realize that individual citizens aren't a well-regulated militia, and we wouldn't be having these discussions. 

Plus, they don't worship every letter too hard or look at documented precedent from the framers of the Constitution when it comes to an amendment that conflicts with their wants, like prayer in school and separation of Church and State. 

Very true.

I own 3 guns, all for hunting.  I would much rather have a gun than a knife when I see a mountain lion, a rabid dog, or even rattlesnakes (been in each of these situations)

I'm in favor of stricter gun laws (increased age limit, stricter background checks/enforcement, ban bump stocks and large magazines, etc.)

I'm completely against arming teachers...that is just stupid

I'm okay with having veterans or trained officers armed at schools if the school chooses that route

I'm completely against repealing the second amendment - that will result in disarming only law-abiding citizens - criminals don't care about laws

Edited by HS_Coach_C
  • Plus1 3
1 minute ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I own 3 guns, all for hunting.  I would much rather have a gun than a knife when I see a mountain lion, a rabid dog, or even rattlesnakes.

I'm in favor of stricter gun laws (age limit, stricter background checks/enforcement, ban bump stocks and large magazines, etc.)

I'm completely against arming teachers...that is just stupid

I'm okay with having veterans or trained officers armed at schools if the school chooses that route

I'm completely against repealing the second amendment - that will result in disarming only law-abiding citizens - criminals don't care about laws

This is pretty much where I'm at.

But, to the bold.  There is one hell of a lot of room between what we have now and completely repealing the second amendment.  Talk about completely repealing it does nothing to further the conversation.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is pretty much where I'm at.

But, to the bold.  There is one hell of a lot of room between what we have now and completely repealing the second amendment.  Talk about completely repealing it does nothing to further the conversation.

Oh I know, I just saw the story on former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens suggesting the 2nd amendment be repealed, and decided to comment on that.

I'm in favor of stricter gun laws, just not that extreme.  I don't trust many people to hunt with me.  Actually, I can count them all on my two hands.  There are a lot of people that I know that hunt and I don't want to be anywhere near them when they do.

I think it should be mandatory to take a certified gun safety course to own or use one (like I think for driving, and for having kids)

It shouldn't be easy and it should include some sort of mental evaluation - I realize this maybe isn't realistic, but I still like the idea

57 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

What I wouldn't give if Mueller actually did implicate the NRA for trying to funnel Russian rubles to Trump...

Here is the thing that makes me want to puke with this argument.

There is no way an organization can say..."Well, none of the Russian money went to politics."

The NRA has a huge budget for doing lots of things.  Some good like gun safety training......etc.  Some bad like political propaganda and supporting bad candidates.

Once someone donates, there is no way to segregate there money.  If Russia hadn't donated money to the NRA, they would have needed to use more money from other donors to do the good things they do.....which means they would have less money to do the bad things they do.  Russia giving them money, allows them to do more bad things.

There is no way in HELL Russia (or any other foreigner) is giving money to the NRA so that little Johnny in Beatrice Nebraska can take a guns safety course.  

• Plus1 2

Just spit-balling here, without repealing the Second Amendment, we can regulate it similar to driving:

• Licensed (w/ Background Checks)
  • Mandatory Gun Safety Training
  • Mandatory Insurance Coverage
  • Liability for Negligent Entrustment
  • Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, QMany said:

Just spit-balling here, without repealing the Second Amendment, we can regulate it similar to driving:

• Licensed (w/ Background Checks)
  • Mandatory Gun Safety Training
  • Mandatory Insurance Coverage
  • Liability for Negligent Entrustment

Playing devil's advocate:

1.  But would it be okay to need a license to vote

2.  Must people be required to pass current civics test to vote

3.  Must people pay for voter ID card

Many people look at the "right" to bare arms on equal footing as the "right" to vote.  That is the level of entrenchment our nation is facing when it comes to any change in policy.

edit: Full disclosure: I would be completely ok with people needed to pass some sort of "objective" current events test before voting.  Not sure what it would look like or if it's even possible, but in a dream world it would be nice!  But I guess in a dream world we wouldn't even need it.

Edited by funhusker
5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

edit: Full disclosure: I would be completely ok with people needed to pass some sort of "objective" current events test before voting.  Not sure what it would look like or if it's even possible, but in a dream world it would be nice!  But I guess in a dream world we wouldn't even need it.

That isn't possible....but, it would be funny to see how bad some people would do that think they are experts in everything.