Gun Control

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guns banned during VP Pence's appearance at NRA convention

Legally-carried guns will be allowed during the National Rifle Association convention in Dallas this week, but not during Vice President Mike Pence's appearance at the event.

Pence is speaking at the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action Leadership Forum at noon Friday at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Arena.

The U.S. Secret Service will be responsible for security, so firearms, knives and other weapons will be prohibited.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, Sen. Ted Cruz and Sen. John Cornyn are also among the speakers scheduled to attend the event.

The weapons ban has drawn criticism on social media, in particular from survivors and families connected to the Parkland High School shooting in February.

"According to the NRA, we should want everyone to have weapons when we are in public," tweeted Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter, Jaime, died in the Parkland shooting. "But when they put on a convention the weapons are a concern? I thought giving everyone a gun was to enhance safety. Am I missing something?"

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, GM_Tood said:

Sounds like Fred needs to brush up on US Code Sections.....i.e 3056 and 1752.

sounds like you need a new irony detector.   the secret service says the only way to keep people safe is to disarm everyone.   the NRA says the only way to keep people safe is to arm everyone.   

• Plus1 5
3 hours ago, commando said:

sounds like you need a new irony detector.   the secret service says the only way to keep people safe is to disarm everyone.   the NRA says the only way to keep people safe is to arm everyone.   

I don't need anything, thanks for your concern though. 

4 hours ago, commando said:

the secret service says the only way to keep people safe is to disarm everyone.   the NRA says the only way to keep people safe is to arm everyone.   

There is a certain irony in this that is, unfortunately, lost on some people.

• Plus1 5