Gun Control

I understand what you are saying.  

I guess one answer to your question would be: Do not invite the VP or PoTUS to speak at one of your conventions as you would be full aware of the laws that are on the books the Secret Service enforces when it comes to guns (other than the ones the SS wears) in proximity to one of their protections.  

As a NRA member with a CCW I would be inconvenienced by having to remove and store my weapon, to go into a specific Hall, when the rest of the Arena is CCW friendly.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, GM_Tood said:

I understand what you are saying.  

I guess one answer to your question would be: Do not invite the VP or PoTUS to speak at one of your conventions as you would be full aware of the laws that are on the books the Secret Service enforces when it comes to guns (other than the ones the SS wears) in proximity to one of their protections.  

As a NRA member with a CCW I would be inconvenienced by having to remove and store my weapon, to go into a specific Hall, when the rest of the Arena is CCW friendly.

But why doesn't the NRA protest this law? I mean, they've done it for pretty much every other gun restriction.

And if the world really is safer with more people carrying guns, then why aren't the VP and POTUS less safe with these laws? Or more safe with the laws removed and more guns in the convention?

If you delve into those two questions, you'll see the hypocrisy of the NRA and the irony of them silently bending to these laws.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

But why doesn't the NRA protest this law? I mean, they've done it for pretty much every other gun restriction.

And if the world really is safer with more people carrying guns, then why aren't the VP and POTUS less safe with these laws? Or more safe with the laws removed and more guns in the convention?

If you delve into those two questions, you'll see the hypocrisy of the NRA and the irony of them silently bending to these laws.

If it's something they really believe in seems to me that they'd only hold their big events in states that support their agenda.  Easy peasy.  

On 4/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, GM_Tood said:

Do not invite the VP or PoTUS to speak at one of your conventions as you would be full aware of the laws that are on the books the Secret Service enforces when it comes to guns (other than the ones the SS wears) in proximity to one of their protections.  

A common drum beat from groups like the NRA is that more guns, particularly in public places, is a deterrent to gun violence. Using this theory, a room full of gun-carrying NRA members should be one of the single safest environments for a vice president. We should expect backlash from gun rights activists, no?

As it turns out, there is some criticism and acknowledgement:

Members of a Texas gun rights advocacy group called Texas CHL posted concerns to an online forum.

"If I was a [Democrat], I'd have a field day with this," one member wrote. "Obviously even republicans and so called leaders don't trust the 'good guys.' I realize it's the VP, but still makes our whole argument look foolish. You may disagree...but in my opinion the very people that claim to protect the 2A should never host an event that requires disarming the good guys. Sad. No excuses for this...it makes us look stupid."

The bolded sort of aligns with what you were saying. Yes, the Secret Service supersedes local control, but there's no doubting the ironic nature of the whole situation.

• Plus1 2

So, after the Florida shooting, Trump and the NRA threw the FBI under the bus because they were warned about the shooter and didn't do enough to protect the public from him.

My question remains, with the stance of the NRA and similar groups (and the Republicans) on issues like this, what did they expect the FBI to do?

In Colorado, anything gun-related is controversial. In 2013, when Democrats controlled the legislature, they passed gun control measures in the wake of the Aurora theatre shootings, without a single GOP vote. Then, the political backlash kicked in. Two Democrats who voted in favor of the measures were recalled and Republicans won back control of the Senate. 

Pushback on Colorado's red flag bill is starting already. Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, which describes itself as state-based gun lobby, with more than 200,000 Facebook followers, posted a message on its page after the bill was introduced, urging people to call Rep. Wist and tell him to stop pushing gun control.