Gun Control

But here's the thing about 3D printed guns - plans have been available for years. Almost since the technology was available.

So I'm cornfused why this is an issue now.  Here's a pretty good thread about this.

Does anyone remember the Clint Eastwood movie In The Line Of Fire where John Malkovich makes a plastic gun? That movie's 20 years old. We've been able to make guns forever.

Not sure what's changed.

44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But here's the thing about 3D printed guns - plans have been available for years. Almost since the technology was available.

So I'm cornfused why this is an issue now.  Here's a pretty good thread about this.

Does anyone remember the Clint Eastwood movie In The Line Of Fire where John Malkovich makes a plastic gun? That movie's 20 years old. We've been able to make guns forever.

Not sure what's changed.

3D printers are now a thing?

Like most everything else, they'll become more affordable and more commonplace over time. I'm not particularly concerned with the printable gun tech that's out there right now - from what I've heard they're pretty unreliable/unsafe - but what of 5, 10 years down the road?

Are we going to look back some day in the future and realize this wasn't a road we should've gone down?

That's what I'm worried about. The long game.

I mean, you can buy gun parts online and build a gun at home with some skills learned from YouTube videos.

I get that we should be cautious. But this tech isn't going away, and it's been around for a while. 3D printers have been pretty readily available for years, as have the plans for guns.

34 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I mean, you can buy gun parts online and build a gun at home with some skills learned from YouTube videos.

I get that we should be cautious. But this tech isn't going away, and it's been around for a while. 3D printers have been pretty readily available for years, as have the plans for guns.

But that would require somebody to have drive to find the right parts, the money to buy them and the want to to watch the videos and slap it all together. I'm not saying it's an extremely high barrier to entry, but it's not nothing either.

It sounds like you're fine with this, which is OK. To me it's just another opportunity to acquire more guns in a country already by far one of the easiest in the world to acquire them.

34 minutes ago, knapplc said:

But that would require somebody to have drive to find the right parts, the money to buy them and the want to to watch the videos and slap it all together. I'm not saying it's an extremely high barrier to entry, but it's not nothing either.

It sounds like you're fine with this, which is OK. To me it's just another opportunity to acquire more guns in a country already by far one of the easiest in the world to acquire them.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm not fine with it. Just bowing to the inevitability of progress.

It's like Russia's troll farms. They aren't going away. We just have to learn to live with them.

Speaking of which, I see Facebook is busy Elmer Fudding another announcement about their platform being used to mislead people and screw up our politics. Gee, I wonder who's behind this one.

I'm actually a pretty middle of the road guy on guns. I don't feel the need to rush out and get one, but I'm not staunchly opposed to them either. I've just observed that we have a weird, almost fanatical gun culture here and I wonder if the paradigm ever shifts back the other way.

• 2 weeks later...