Gun Control

• 2 weeks later...

What's going to happen with these idiots holding open carry events in places with a bunch of people opposing them is sooner or later some crazy person is going do something that scares them into "defending themselves" and we're going to see a panicked group of idiots open fire on a group unarmed people.  That's happened even with trained people behind the guns.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good. I hope they throw the book at this idiot.

Can we all just agree this guy was a dangerous moron? This is the kind of crap that really screws up the image of all the good pro-2A people out there.

Also, what a bogus legal defense:

Color footage of the shooting, which WDIV said was from home security video, was played in court this week. It showed Brennan walking up to the door, wearing a backpack.

The video, which had no sound, shows him waiting a few moments, then running away toward the street. Out of the right hand side of the frame a man emerges, shirtless and in jeans. He is carrying a shotgun.

As the boy escapes at the top of the frame, the man raises the weapon. A few seconds pass, and he fires, the recoil knocking his torso backward.

He lowers the gun, steps out on to the porch, and looks in the direction the boy fled before turning back toward the house.

Zeigler told police the gun went off after he fell backward, causing his finger to inadvertently hit the trigger, according to court testimony from an officer.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Good. I hope they throw the book at this idiot.

Can we all just agree this guy was a dangerous moron? This is the kind of crap that really screws up the image of all the good pro-2A people out there.

Also, what a bogus legal defense:

I really hope this wasn't a case where they wanted to get him on attempted murder but had to go with a lesser charge to make sure they received a conviction just because he's white and the person he shot at is black. (I go to the Dick Wolf school of Law, so who knows if I'm even close to how a courtroom works or how serious the conviction was versus attempted murder)

5 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I really hope this wasn't a case where they wanted to get him on attempted murder but had to go with a lesser charge to make sure they received a conviction just because he's white and the person he shot at is black. (I go to the Dick Wolf school of Law, so who knows if I'm even close to how a courtroom works or how serious the conviction was versus attempted murder)

I know they were originally trying him for attempted murder but wound up convicting him on this assault w/ intent to do great bodily harm charge. 

We'll never know for sure, but sure seems like there was a racial component. I doubt he chases away and fires a shot at a white teenager.

58 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Doubt he's gonna be found guilty of anything since the guy had a weapon.

Of all the things to steal, a weapon has to be one of the dumbest.

there is a grey area.  the guy didn't appear to  threaten to hurt anyone...it looks like he was just trying to get away.    without the threat of harm the shooter might have crossed the line.  i believe that at least here in nebraska there has to be a threat before you can shoot someone in self defense.   now maybe the shooter can claim he thought he was threatened.  i am not sure.   But it seems that the death penalty with no jury for what was likely petty theft is...a bit harsh.