Temp check: 7-5

With the Oregon and Wyoming game times announced, I again RE-visited the schedule and prospects for wins-losses.

Getting the feeling that we open 2-0 with easy wins over Fresno and Wyo, then run into a buzz saw against the Ducks and get nipped in a game at NW. After scoring three pretty easy conference wins to go 5-2, we lose in a heartbreaking decision to Whisky and run into another buzz saw vs tOSU. Now at 5-4, we get bowl eligible with back to back wins and then lose a tough one to the Hawks.

So there it is 7-5. How's everybody feel about that?

• Fire 3

Here is my temp check.

• I want them to win every game, and I get bummed out when they lose.
  • I will be happy to follow the team on boards like this when they win, and will avoid this board like the plague for a couple days when they lose.
  • Every spring and summer I talk myself into the idea that "this could be the year." Most times, especially recently, I am wrong.
  • With Riley we will win one we didn't think we could...and probably will lose one we didn't think we would.
  • I don't understand why some fans try to prove that they are smarter/better fans by predicting doom and gloom. 7-5???? Come on man! You are a fan! You should want/believe that your team will win every game.
  • Living in Fargo I will get VERY angry if Iowa doesn't crush NDSU. Please baby Jesus don't make me listen to Bison fans!
  • Fire 2

Why are you assuming that Oregon will be a buzz saw? I think it is a very winnable game for Nebraska.

I don't get this either. NU and Oregon recruiting hasn't been measurably different since 2012.

Oregon has been through a lot of upheaval lately and the game is in Lincoln.

I believe that NU should win this game.

Look--if we can even get marginal improvement (e.g. 30 fewer yards of overall offensive output/game--procured from another thread I can't find to link to currently) out of our defense and our OC can actually call a running game, this team could go 11-1.

And frankly, calling a better running game alone will help the defense (less time on clock, less time on field, fewer plays for opposing teams...ideally). If Riley is true to his word about learning lessons from this season, all but the tOSU game should be winnable by this team.

At a minimum this team should win the B1G West, whether that's at 7-5, 11-1, or somewhere in between. But I really think/hope that Riley has learned and we'll see better playcalling on the offensive side of the ball, and a defense that can get a 3-and-out more often than last year...or better yet, generate turnovers.

If this team goes 11-1, how are people going to complain that recruiting was poor during the past several years?

That'll be interesting.

Lack of depth mostly.

What teams have more depth than Nebraska?

I'm sure several teams have better depth at QB, Dline and Oline than Nebraska.

• Fire 1

If this team goes 11-1, how are people going to complain that recruiting was poor during the past several years?

That'll be interesting.

Lack of depth mostly.
What teams have more depth than Nebraska?
I'm sure several teams have better depth at QB, Dline and Oline than Nebraska.

I think you'd be surprised by the "lack of depth" across CFB.

True, DL is thin, but every team has holes at various places, save a very select few. I doubt there are more than 10 teams in the country that have more talent and depth than Nebraska.