DT Masry Mapieu [Louisiana Lafayette - Signed LOI]

Mavric

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

The trend of missing out on in-state talent.

I wouldn’t say this is missing out on in-state talent. The scholarship was that for Masry to get, but he didn’t fulfill the academic standards that were necessary for the offer to still be available.  NU decided it couldn’t keep an offer around for a guy who might not qualify academically. 

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Exactly.  Thanks to that moron coach Mike Riley...amiright?

They knew he was an academic risk and that Bryson Williams was not. I'm not sure why you're making posts implying that no blame should be put on Riley. The fact is they should have offered both, and when Wisconsin offered Williams, that should've made it glaringly obvious that they should go ahead and offer him.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

They knew he was an academic risk and that Bryson Williams was not. I'm not sure why you're making posts implying that no blame should be put on Riley. The fact is they should have offered both, and when Wisconsin offered Williams, that should've made it glaringly obvious that they should go ahead and offer him.

Exactly. What was not fair to the fans, is we had no clue at the time one was an academic risk and the other was golden. Knowing what we know now, I wish they wouldve just went after the sure thing.

Hopefully Frosty can come up clutch and land Otito, which would make this sting less and perhaps Masry still makes it in June or next year.

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not much he can do.  It would be a gamble.  It's unfortunate that we can't gamble on a Nebraska recruit that was committed for over a year and a half, but other schools can.

I think on a normal year they would, but with the coaching change and the expected attrition that always comes from those, they didn't want to be on self-probation.

The Big Ten allows oversigning by 3, which most schools use for a possible transfer or an academic risk. Nebraska needs to use all of those for expected transfers and can't be left short on scholarship numbers because someone doesn't qualify. Schools that aren't going through a coaching change aren't as worried about a non qualifier.

43 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

amiright = sarcasm.  My entire post was sarcastic.  People love to pile on Riley.

There is no way shape or form Riley was responsible for this.  They worked with a student to get him eligible...he dropped the ball.  end of story.

I'm aware that your post was sarcastic... I'm saying you're wrong. Riley should have offered Bryson Williams when he knew Mapieu was an academic risk, and especially when Wisconsin offered him. It was a no-brainer. You don't let a good Lincoln player slip away to the best team in the Big West for a player who's an academic risk. It's sheer stupidity.

• Plus1 6
6 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Sure.  But blaming a coach for a high school students inability to get get grades up is purely stupid (not something you're doing but others are in this thread)..and I agree he should have offered Williams...and that definitely is on Riley.

Nobody is blaming Riley for his grades. They are blaming him for the way the DT position as a whole was recruited this cycle. 

• Plus1 9
7 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Sure.  But blaming a coach for a high school students inability to get get grades up is purely stupid (not something you're doing but others are in this thread)..and I agree he should have offered Williams...and that definitely is on Riley.

I don't think anyone's doing that, which is why these posts are weird.

• Plus1 1

Maybe we can all agree that the culpability of not signing either Mapieu or Williams should be split 4 ways.

Shawn Eichorst- For hiring Billy Devaney as a scout for HS players

Billy Devaney- For insisting the Huskers only offer one and not the other.  And choosing the one with more academic risk

Mike Riley- For not fighting hard enough to offer both.

Mapieu- For not taking care of his business in a timely manner to be qualified.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Maybe we can all agree that the culpability of not signing either Mapieu or Williams should be split 4 ways.

Shawn Eichorst- For hiring Billy Devaney as a scout for HS players

Billy Devaney- For insisting the Huskers only offer one and not the other.  And choosing the one with more academic risk

Mike Riley- For not fighting hard enough to offer both.

Mapieu- For not taking care of his business in a timely manner to be qualified.

Brilliant. You mean hold everyone accountable for their hand in this debacle? 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to DT Masry Mapieu [Louisiana Lafayette - Signed LOI]