DT Masry Mapieu [Louisiana Lafayette - Signed LOI]

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to DT Masry Mapieu [Louisiana Lafayette - Signed LOI]

20 minutes ago, QMany said:

I was wondering about the rules on this previously, so I did some digging.  This is what I found:

NLI INFO

If I sign an NLI with a Division I institution may I still sign with a Division II institution?

The true issue is not whether a school is a Division I or Division II institution but whether an institution is a member of the NLI program. With more than 600 participating institutions, the NLI program is truly national in scope. All Division I institutions, with the exception of the Service Academies and schools in the Ivy League, are members of the program, and most fully-active Division II institutions participate in the program. No Division III institutions, NAIA schools, preparatory school or two year colleges participate in the NLI program.

If I sign a letter with a junior college or an NAIA school, may I sign an NLI?

Yes. You may sign an NLI if you have already signed a letter with a junior college or an NAIA school. The NLI is a voluntary program with more than 600 participating institutions, all of which are members of either NCAA Division I or II. By entering the NLI program, participating institutions agree to abide by the NLI rules.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....how can he qualify for a Louisiana Lafayette but not Nebraska? We are both in the same division in football.

It's likely that

1) he is not yet fully qualified but they are taking a chance on him

2) they still have lower admission standards than Nebraska --- Wisconsin is in the same division and they have much higher standards to get in

3) Nebraska used that as an excuse and just moved on

I'll bet on the first one, with an outside shot at the 2nd one

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

It's likely that

2) they still have lower admission standards than Nebraska --- Wisconsin is in the same division and they have much higher standards to get in

All three are a possibility.  However, I always thought his qualifications were NCAA based which would nullify at least #2 if not all three.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:08 AM, HS_Coach_C said:

It's likely that

Does #2 even exist?  Nebraska used to take Prop. 48 players.  So, UNL would be able to enroll players that were below the NCAA requiriements for eligibility.

Edited by yort2000
2 hours ago, yort2000 said:

Does #2 even exist?  Nebraska used to take Prop. 48 players.  So, UNL would be able to enroll players that were below the NCAA requiriements for eligibility.

Acceptance criteria is more strict for athletes than the general student population. Some students that come in as Freshmen, wouldn't qualify as an athlete.