Need to suggestions on how to build an affordable 4k gaming PC

A GTX 1070 with an intel i5 and 16gb of good ram and a small ssd (should get a regular hdd for more space in addition) should run around $1300-1400 or so with case/power supply/etc. included. Dell and ASUS both make around $500 4K monitors.

There you go. 2 grand :)

As Bruno would say "Very Nice"

I've been browsing Best Buy the last few days and an Asus 28" 4k model PB287Q has 34 reviews at a 4 3/4 rating and a Samsung 28" 4k UD590 series has over 390 reviews averaging 4 1/2 stars.

A GTX 1070 with an intel i5 and 16gb of good ram and a small ssd (should get a regular hdd for more space in addition) should run around $1300-1400 or so with case/power supply/etc. included. Dell and ASUS both make around $500 4K monitors.

There you go. 2 grand :)

As Bruno would say "Very Nice"

I've been browsing Best Buy the last few days and an Asus 28" 4k model PB287Q has 34 reviews at a 4 3/4 rating and a Samsung 28" 4k UD590 series has over 390 reviews averaging 4 1/2 stars.

IMO take a look through newegg.com

I put together my entire computer from scratch off of that website and I saved a ton of money based on prices from competitor sites.

How PC savy are you? Not very much haha

Every played with a KB&M? Have no idea what this is

Have you ever built a PC before? No but I have friends that might be able to help

I really want to game in 4k and I think my price range would be anywhere from $1,500-$2,000.

I've been reading that the GTX1080 graphics card is one of the best on the market so I would go that route. Also been reading that the Asus monitors are really good.

I don't know much about PC's but I'm willing to learn.

I'd definitely go with a 1080 if you can swing it. As for monitor, I would try to get something with an IPS panel as they have far superior picture quality (and color) to traditional TN panels. I'm a fan of the Acer predator line, they're gorgeous displays. If you go 4K, you'll really need at least a 30" panel to notice the difference.

Now, my personal recommendation is a a 144hz 1440P montitor over a 60hz 4K, simply because if you're playing FPS games, the 144hz/G-Sync upgrade is massive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/35sp2l/discussion_is_a_144hz_gsync_monitor_vastly_better/

Isn't the 1440 monitor your recommended a 2k resolution though?

No, It's much higher res than than. On a smaller screen (like anything under 32") you're not gonna really notice the difference all that much in a game though.

4k_vs_1440p.png

image.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBOlbuvovlQ

For things like text, and video editing, the higher resolution is beneficial. For a game, you'll find that most gamers (especially twich FPS players) feel that higher framerate (100+ vs 40-ish) is vastly preferable.

That's the exact one I've been planning to get. Since you're not in a hurry, keep track of this link for deals on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=Monitor&sort=new&restrict_sr=on&feature=legacy_search

So I've decided on these 3 components:

1. Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz monitor

2. Intel Core i5 660k

3. EVGA GTX 1080 graphics card

So I just need all of the other components to go with the above ones I've mentioned and I should be good to go. I don't know what case to get but was looking at the Corsair Obsidian 900D. Are there cooler ones than this one or others you would prefer?

Should I go with the Intel i5 or i7? What's the difference and advantage(s) between the two?

So I've decided on these 3 components:

1. Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 144hz monitor

2. Intel Core i5 660k

3. EVGA GTX 1080 graphics card

So I just need all of the other components to go with the above ones I've mentioned and I should be good to go. I don't know what case to get but was looking at the Corsair Obsidian 900D. Are there cooler ones than this one or others you would prefer?

Should I go with the Intel i5 or i7? What's the difference and advantage(s) between the two?

I think you'll be fine with the i5 since you aren't rendering a bunch of video. That said, if you've got wiggle room in your budget, the i7 might be more desireable as devs get more comfortable with the multi core systems.

As for the case, Corsair makes good ones (althought the 900D is old, so it's stupid expensive right now), along with coolermaster and Lian Li. For all the non case stuff (because alot of that is personal preference) check out my pcpartpicker link above. Don't skimp on the PSU, and I'd go with 16GB of RAM right now (2x8GB) to start.

I figure if I can put together a machine that doesn't burst in to flame when I push the power button, anybody can :P I'll probably upgrade a few of my parts this year but so far I've been able to capture/edit/burn HD video effortlessly and play a few games on max settings (but I don't game a ton, Bioshock Infinite and Portal 2 aren't super-demanding, graphics-wise AFAIK :shrug:)

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/pb3Ff7

The wife said I can get a PC so now I gotta build up a little more cash for it.

I didn't realize there are more than one GeForce GTX 1080 graphic cards. Which company makes the best one?

Sounds like the Zortac GTX 1080 might be the fastest/best one