Brexit

No ones discussing this?

I think it could be an ok thing, but it's done for all the wrong reasons (i.e., labor and manufacturing protectionism and anti-immigration), so it does not bode well for economic advancement in the UK or elsewhere.

Why can't we just pass an international commerce clause already??

No ones discussing this?

I think it could be an ok thing, but it's done for all the wrong reasons (i.e., labor and manufacturing protectionism and anti-immigration), so it does not bode well for economic advancement in the UK or elsewhere.

Im surprised too that it has not been brought up yet. The Brexit movement in the UK mirrors what is happening here in the US as well, with voters tired of the Establishment not wanting to put America first. Brexit also had a lot to do with immigration and open borders and appears to be a direct repudiation of the Obama/Hillary approach

I have no strong opinion as an outsider, but from what I could gather the biggest issue with the EU is it has been determined to push ahead with further integration many people either do not want, aren't ready for, or feel they haven't been consulted on.

I guessed it shouldn't be terribly surprising in hindsight.

No ones discussing this?

It is also a move against the added layers of political corruption that were introduced with the creation of the EU. In the US we whine about how politicians in our county represent those interests who fund them above the general population. Imagine having to deal with that on a larger, multi-national scale, where politicians are not from your country, have little interest in matters that affect you locally, and protect their own interest above all else. There is little accountability in Brussels.

No ones discussing this?

I've got to read a bit and get up to speed on it before getting in the discussion here - I'm finding that there are some sharp folks on this board, so I don't want to come without an A game. Don't want to be the Trump of the Brexit discussion.

Agree with the sentinments put forth thus far in this discussion but there is a more fundamental reasoning I am sure within the Brits generally and that is the central core of the major concern than a majority of Americans are feeling here. It is not 'immigration' per se but rather than negative impacts that mass immigration has caused to the economies of the countries allowing large scale immigration (the USA is the prime example). The British public knows full well that there are no jobs (living wage level ones certainly) and the standard of living has been plummeting for nearly a decade now. Government is not reacting at all and if anything is making matters worse. There are perhaps 20 million or more too many immigrants already in this country. The consequence has been an accelerating decline in wages (a mass increase in the supply of available labor drives down wages - basic economics). The silly argument that Americans simply won't do the work that the immigrants will is nonsense, although it is true that most Americans won't do many jobs that don't pay them enough to live. Going down this economic path has led to nothing but declining living standards for a majority of the population in America. This is being exacerbated by Obamacare which is further driving down cash wages as employers are both shifting the costs of mandatory insurance for employees onto the worker by lowering the wages employers pay but also by shifting work to other firms by contracting out for production, cleaning, maintenance, etc, etc. A decade ago, this was a problem. Today it is a disaster for many people as it has worsened dramatically. The British (a solid majority certainly) don't want to cut all ties with the EU but certainly see the economic dangers of being 'in bed' with the rest of the EU nations whose economies are in massive debt, declining living standards and uncontrolled immigration leading to more terrorism, higher crime, etc, etc. etc. One doesn't want to be 'partners' with a bunch of partners who are mismanaging their lives and societies generally.

Lots of uninformed decisions being made by Brit voters.

I just read this on Reddit and thought it was an interesting take on what we've got going on, not only in the UK but here at home as well.

Australia has had five prime ministers in five years, the poor yanks look as though they'll have to choose between two options both of which have more disapproval than approval, and the UK leaves the EU. It seems like a ridiculous amount of instability. One might even call it absurd.

But it's not surprising.

You can't feed a society exaggeration, hyperbole and propaganda for over a decade and then claim surprise when people don't seem to be making rational decisions on the basis of well established truth.

There's a cost associated with not telling the truth. There's a cost associated with polarized, adversarial public discourse. There's a cost associated with the media more concerned with profits than public interest.

It is, apparently, time to pay the piper.

• Fire 2

Australia has had five prime ministers in five years, the poor yanks look as though they'll have to choose between two options both of which have more disapproval than approval, and the UK leaves the EU. It seems like a ridiculous amount of instability. One might even call it absurd.

But it's not surprising.

You can't feed a society exaggeration, hyperbole and propaganda for over a decade and then claim surprise when people don't seem to be making rational decisions on the basis of well established truth.

There's a cost associated with not telling the truth. There's a cost associated with polarized, adversarial public discourse. There's a cost associated with the media more concerned with profits than public interest.

My God that could all be said about US politics also.

If I could make a dream come true (politically), it would be for the American public to wake up to the total load of BS we are fed. It's truly sad that so much of the American public is all worked up and angry based on total falsehoods and crap put out for on one reason....for politicians or special interest groups to gain power.

• Fire 1

I just read this on Reddit and thought it was an interesting take on what we've got going on, not only in the UK but here at home as well.

But it's not surprising.

We see that hyperbole and propaganda here, all the time. America is going to get exactly the kind of chaos it earns with candidates like Trump, Cruz, and all the other raging blowhards. Fox News and their fear-mongering, the NRA and their fear-mongering, the lies about immigrants "build that wall!" and the bullsh#t being sold to average White Americans with a house, two cars, clothes, three flatscreen TVs, cable packages with 500 channels, who throw away tons of food every year and go on at least one vacation, about how things are being taken away from them....

You can't live in a palace and pretend you're a pauper for too long without that lie being exposed somehow.

• Fire 3

I just read this on Reddit and thought it was an interesting take on what we've got going on, not only in the UK but here at home as well.[\quote]

But it's not surprising.

We see that hyperbole and propaganda here, all the time. America is going to get exactly the kind of chaos it earns with candidates like Trump, Cruz, and all the other raging blowhards. Fox News and their fear-mongering, the NRA and their fear-mongering, the lies about immigrants "build that wall!" and the bullsh#t being sold to average White Americans with a house, two cars, clothes, three flatscreen TVs, cable packages with 500 channels, who throw away tons of food every year and go on at least one vacation, about how things are being taken away from them....

You can't live in a palace and pretend you're a pauper for too long without that lie being exposed somehow.

---------------------------------------

Give me a break. This is what happens when you have weak leaders in place not looking out for their own. I have said repeatedly that the Novemeber election will not be a race on whether Hillary or Trump have the lowest unfavorable ratings, but whether Americans want an outsider vs insider. Hillary represents everything that is wrong with our political establishment system, and there is a stark choice to stick with the status quo or shake up the system.

Also, both sides use fear mongering all the time, so stop pretending its a one sided issue. Remember the Dems running an ad with Paul Ryan pushing granny off the cliff as a scare tactic for seniors to vote for Obama?

• Fire 2

But it's not surprising.

My God that could all be said about US politics also.

If I could make a dream come true (politically), it would be for the American public to wake up to the total load of BS we are fed. It's truly sad that so much of the American public is all worked up and angry based on total falsehoods and crap put out for on one reason....for politicians or special interest groups to gain power.

Yes that is a bold statement you highlighted in bold print. I was about to do the same. The more media and politicians are in the same bed, throw in the big banks and their multinational corporate friends and we end up wt a rather large web of intrigue, mistrust and frustration by the 'common man'. I think that is why we've seen the Sanders and the Trump revolutions and to a certain degree the support behind Ted Cruz - all claim to be anti-establishment, outsiders. They were the stories of this political season. We'll see if it continues into November. Hillary isn't helping her insider cause any wt the revelation that key emls weren't turned over to the State Dept.