Langsdorf: POB Has "Mixed" Reaction to Redshirt Year

Not sure whether he'll redshirt or not. I highly doubt that the decision has been made yet. And won't be made until fall camp is over and we get into the season. But if POB *doesn't* redshirt, keep in mind that he came to NU early and has been training, or at least been on campus, since January. By this fall I'm guessing he'll be well beyond where a true frosh usually is, development wise.

I agree on this. Here are some good reasons for POB not to redshirt:

1. With how often TA likes to run the ball, you never know if he will get injured at some point. Let's not forget that TA got his start after Martinez was injured as a senior.

2. Any snaps POB could get in this year helps both him AND the team for the 2017 season. Going into 2017 with no QB that has taken meaningful snaps in the NU offensive scheme is a huge risk.

3. For POB personally, 2017 is going to be extremely competitive with Tanner coming in as well as Gebbia. I'm sure he would prefer to have the leg up in spring ball 2017 rather than being on a completely equal footing as the others. Now if the expectation is that Gebbia will automatically redshirt as well, then POB's main competition is down to the QB transfer.

Exactly. A redshirt this year puts him behind the 8 ball next year. He won't practice with the offense, he won't travel (or even suit up at home?) with the team, and he'll generally be not gaining much experience for what would make him competitive to start next year.

How have redshirt freshman quarterbacks ever been successful?

• Fire 1

Exactly. A redshirt this year puts him behind the 8 ball next year. He won't practice with the offense, he won't travel (or even suit up at home?) with the team, and he'll generally be not gaining much experience for what would make him competitive to start next year.

How have redshirt freshman quarterbacks ever been successful?

It's pretty rare. Especially among Riley coached redshirt freshman QBs.

I really hope POB approaches this the right way because the path doesn't get much easier from here. He's going to go from battling an incumbent senior this year to competing against another guy with substantial division one experience in 2017.

come next season, if POB can't beat out Bush and Lee, he sure will be disappointing.

The standards being applied here are really funny.

Yes, POB was a nice QB recruit, but if he can't win the job in his second year, MR's very first QB recruit is a disappointment? MR's program is not where it needs to be?

QB is a position where recruits are very frequently expected to redshirt for the sake of improving their development prospects, but if he does -- especially given his history as a player whose stock rose very sharply very late in his HS career when he dedicated to football -- that's supposed to be some sort of negative marker?

Come on now.

• Fire 4

I really hope POB approaches this the right way because the path doesn't get much easier from here. He's going to go from battling an incumbent senior this year to competing against another guy with substantial division one experience in 2017.

come next season, if POB can't beat out Bush and Lee, he sure will be disappointing.

How do you figure? Lee has played 19 games of division one football and he's three-to-four years older than POB.

• Fire 1

You're right, the universal standard for all D1 QBs is starting by year two or they're a bust!