Athlon: 5 Reasons Why Nebraska is the Big Ten West's Sleeper Team in 2016

Nebraska’s first year under new coach Mike Riley ended with a disappointing 6-7 final record. While the six-win mark was just the program’s third losing season since 1962, the 2015 campaign wasn’t as bad as the final ledger indicated. With 11 returning starters and a full year entrenched with this coaching staff, the Cornhuskers have the opportunity to surprise in the Big Ten West Division in 2016.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-reasons-why-nebraska-big-ten-wests-sleeper-team-2016

• Fire 1

A team that has clearly recruited the best among its division, especially with respect to classes comprising JRs, SRs and rSRs on the roster, should never be considered a "surprise."

Athlon ranks NU's current roster 29th in the nation. The other B10W teams trail well behind, with most falling at or below 50th nationally.

Based on various recruiting ranking sources, NU has average right around the 4th best B10 recruiting class during each of the past 5 years.

By comparison, Iowa is normally in the bottom third, and Wisconsin has consistently trailed Nebraska, including posting a 14th ranked 2012 class (per 247).

Per 247, all other B10W teams have been worse than 10th, on average, for the class between 2012 and 2016.

Finally, while it is a new season, as of December of '15, 247's composite talent ranking (adjusted for attrition) ranked NU 24th in the nation. The next B10W team, Wisconsin, was at 39th. NW snuck into the top 50, but everyone else was off the first page.

You can't be a division sleeper when you have as much talent as NU.

Yeah, I think people are putting too much stock in the word "sleeper". After the title, it's not even mentioned in the article.

The focus of article gives reasons why the Huskers will improve their record from last season. Perhaps they could have said "5 reasons not to count out Nebraska as a threat to win the Big Ten West following a 7 loss season". Dunno, maybe it would make more sense.

I hope we are not sleeping this fall because I am very optimistic about our chances this fall. I say, teams better be ready for us and it will not be easy to stop us offensively. The defense, hopefully, will get to enjoy more opportunities to defend with a lead. I believe it is much easier to play aggressive defense, attacking and blitzing and taking more chances to create turnovers, etc, when you are playing with the lead instead of from behind. With your backs to the wall, you tend to get cautious and players may hesitate and spend too much time thinking instead of going full speed. The Huskers are always my favorite but I am excited and ready for football. I feel our chances to win the west division are as good as they have been since we joined the Big Ten. Go Huskers!

Nebraska is a sleeper pick to win the worst division in college football.

That is just absurd. How far NU is away from any kind of quality national perception.....

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

It's not the worst division in football, and it's not even the worst in the Power 5.

As for being a "sleeper pick" that's just a media term. We're a 3 points behind Iowa in this poll, and I suspect the "unofficial" media poll at the B1G media days will be close as well.

That is just absurd. How far NU is away from any kind of quality national perception.....

The Pac 12 South can't be any better. USC lost to Wisconsin and UCLA lost to Nebraska in their bowl games. Colorado and Arizona St were both below .500. Arizona won 7 games. Utah was the only one who proved anything.

• Fire 1

The Pac 12 South can't be any better. USC lost to Wisconsin and UCLA lost to Nebraska in their bowl games. Colorado and Arizona St were both below .500. Arizona won 7 games. Utah was the only one who proved anything.

Or the ACC Coastal, or SEC East...