Jim Grobe was offered NU job in 2007....

but, it sounds like Osborne wanted to Grobe to keep or hire 3 assistants that TO wanted to be on the staff. So, Grobe declined the job offer.

Lee Barfknecht Retweeted Dennis Dodd

Lee Barfknecht added,

Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs
Grobe: Confirms he didn’t take Nebraska job years ago because Neb wanted to keep 3 assts. Grobe wanted freedom to shape staff.
2 retweets0 likes
Retweet
More

I know it's purely hypothetical on how Grobe would have done as a coach. He may not have had the success Bo did early on, but he might have been more stable and NU would have seen better seasons as NU moved into the Big Ten.

Also, if Osborne is saying Grobe has to hire/keep 3 assistant coaches, then Osborne is over-reaching his authority as Athletic Director. His job is to hire a head coach, and let the head coach hire his staff of assistants.

• Fire 1

This makes it seem like maybe Grobe was interviewed to show due diligence was performed even though Osborne already had his choice made.

That seems to be more likely to me.

But Grobe has said several times he was offered the job - though the possibility exists that is self-serving.

That being said, Grobe would seem to be closer to the situation than Rose.

The tweet say KEEP 3 assistants. So choose 3 of:

Watson, Gilmore, Jordan, Wagner, Rudolph

Cosgrove, Wyatt, Busch, Elmassian

Bo only kept 2.

Which kind of puts a hole in Grobe's claim.

I would have been very disappointed if Grobe was hired in '08. He's never impressed me. Would have felt a lot like the Riley hire... maybe it would have worked out, but not particularly exciting.

p.s. Dodd must need some clicks if he's digging up stories that are 10 years old... Husker fans are reliable in that way.

Where's BigWillie? I know he refuted this story several times -- including a claim that the rumor was invented as a joke on some forum playing into the plane-watching frenzy. Of course, maybe they inadvertently did get the actual plane ... which would be quite the twist! :lol:

I agree with knapp and Mav here. The Grobe story sounds self-serving; it's popped up in the media and is nice for Grobe to claim. It also paints him in a particularly noble light. It wouldn't stun me if it were true, but really now: Bo's hiring seemed inevitable from the moment Steve Pederson was fired.