Finally Going to Lincoln

life long husker fan-long time husker board lurker, first post. been following the cornhuskers since i was a kid. always looked forward to the day after thanksgiving to watch nebraska and oklahoma. just an old west coast guy that hates the forward pass and bleeds big red. fast forward to today-starting to cross off my bucket list items and will finally be coming to memorial stadium to watch a game. already scored game tickets in the west stadium outdoor club section (paid thru the nose, but i'm gonna do it right). anyways, any tips on attending my first game in lincoln? i'll be there for the homecoming game against illinois.

can't wait to get there!

and thank you all for having this forum...i visit here daily.

• Fire 7

life long husker fan-long time husker board lurker, first post. been following the cornhuskers since i was a kid. always looked forward to the day after thanksgiving to watch nebraska and oklahoma. just an old west coast guy that hates the forward pass and bleeds big red. fast forward to today-starting to cross off my bucket list items and will finally be coming to memorial stadium to watch a game. already scored game tickets in the west stadium outdoor club section (paid thru the nose, but i'm gonna do it right). anyways, any tips on attending my first game in lincoln? i'll be there for the homecoming game against illinois.

can't wait to get there!

I am so very excited for you! I cry each time the tunnel walk starts, and I can't get to the stadium early enough (much to my friends' dismay) it's just such an incredible day. I miss those OK vs NU games too - what a great tradition that was.

I only get back once every couple years now, and so much has changed with tailgating, etc. Others can help more. I can say that if you can get a room at The Embassy Suites downtown it's a perfect location - breakfast included, they have a big party for pregame (the band comes there) and it's easily walked to and from the stadium.

If you're around on Friday, you can get a facilities/stadium tour during normal business hours, I believe. The Embassy is a good option for lodging, but there are a lot of new hotels that have opened up down in the Haymarket/Railyard area that are perfectly acceptable options as well. That area is your best bet on Friday nights - it's a slightly older crowd, and has a lot of pageantry all around the night before a game.

• 4 weeks later...

can't wait to get there!

How exciting man. I didn't grow up in Nebraska but was able to live there for 3 years and absolutely loved it. I went to my first game and fell in love with the team and program. You are going to enjoy your experience...there is so much to do before, during, and after the game.

thanks for all the info. question regarding parking. any particular place i need to look for? oh yea, another question-is it true they don't serve beer in memorial stadium?

still psyched!

Anywhere close to the stadium,w hether actual lots or yards or whatever, you'll pay $10-30 to park. If you don't mind walking quite a ways, there are some lots/streets in the Haymarket that you can usually find a spot at for free (I think K and 8th is one), or you can take a shuttle from the mall for like $6 round trip.

No beer in Memorial.

• 1 month later...

Flying in tommorrow. What time does the stadium open? Also, which side of the stadium has the TO-berringer statue?

Thank you-can't wait!!

The statue is outside the entrance to the North Stadium lobby. Inside you'll find all the bowl/championship trophies, the Heisman room, etc., and if you go on a Friday you can probably get a tour that will take you through the weight room as well.