UT to B1G? According to this talks have happened..

With 16 teams, pods make the most sense:

Within your own pod you play 3 games.

Against each of the other three 4-team pods: you play two teams each year, (so half of the other teams).

That's 9 conference games. And the best part is players play every team in the conference, home and away, every four years (a student-athlete's career). It's unbelievable to me that with only 14 teams now some of our players will never play against Michigan. They'll play a bunch of non-conference teams twice but not one of the most historic teams in their own conference. It's stupid.

You can group the pods to make divisions however you want, so you then have a CCG.

Adding more logs to the bonfire...

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-expansion-oklahoma-sooners-texas-longhorns-david-boren-2018459914.html

We know that Boren and Oklahoma was not in favor of expansion before unless they were quality additions (read: no one available save for Notre Dame or some SEC schools), and yet somehow got talked into chairing the committee for Big XII expansion. The fact that they're now coming back to their original position shouldn't be a surprise for anyone here.

Also, it appears that Boren is laying the groundwork for Oklahoma's eventual exit from the Big XII, from his comments on the current state of the Big XII. Of note from the article:

There's an increasing concern that Boren could end up as a so-called double-agent, speaking for the league but working for a school that ultimately desires to speak with other leagues. There's also an increasing level of distrust around the league, especially since Oklahoma and Texas have no intention of extending their grant of right past 2025 anytime soon.

Boren isn't a double agent, per se, but he is acting in the best interests of his school. And we know there's been communication between current Big XII schools and the B1G (thought to be Oklahoma, especially last year when Oklahoma shill and backdoor mouthpiece Barry Trammel was pimping the greatness both on and off the field of the B1G in comparison to the Big XII).

The article also brings up the point of there being an umbilical cord to Okie Lite, Oklahoma's mentally unstable, but rich due to luck, brother. But faced with the prospect of either propping Oklahoma up or killing both programs by forcing them to go together...the choice is obvious. The conferences hold the power in this discussion, and as much as Okie Lite wants to think they're worth anything...they're not.

However, the article does incorrectly rule out the B1G as a potential landing point for Oklahoma later on in the article. We know via the OWH that the B1G was already willing to take Oklahoma as part of that five-team package proposal that aTm killed because they're greedy, myopic, and ignorant (read: perfect SEC material). And Oklahoma has a desire to boost it's academic cache in the same manner Nebraska has since joining the B1G--something that won't happen with a move to any other conference.

I think a lot of folks are underestimating how pervasive politics are for the states/schools involved. There is a reason Texas bankrupted the SWC and destroyed the Big XII.

Texas politics are the worst-version of Southern-politics. It's patient, pervasive, persistent, and completely selfish. While the people individually are not bad people, the organization is horribly myopic and self-centered. Athletically UT seems like a great addition but there is no containing UT's politics, damage, and greed. Getting in bed with UT requires sleeping with literally every person in TX.

I think the B1G will last longer and be happier w/o UT, honestly...

Against each of the other three 4-team pods: you play two teams each year, (so half of the other teams).

That's 9 conference games. And the best part is players play every team in the conference, home and away, every four years (a student-athlete's career). It's unbelievable to me that with only 14 teams now some of our players will never play against Michigan. They'll play a bunch of non-conference teams twice but not one of the most historic teams in their own conference. It's stupid.

You can group the pods to make divisions however you want, so you then have a CCG.

What you proposed wouldn't work.

If you go the pods route and group them up so you can have a ccg. you have to play a FULL other pod. Not just half.

With pods you could also have the pod champs play a 4-team B1G playoff followed by a national 4-team playoff. Assuming 4 16-team conferences provides a pretty seamless postseason.

That's getting to complex in my opinion.

I think the POD's idea is just so we see more opponents more often rather than being more efficient. I like the 8 team divisions.

What you proposed wouldn't work.

If you go the pods route and group them up so you can have a ccg. you have to play a FULL other pod. Not just half.

Not to answer for Kernal, but yes, it would work. with 9 conference games you would always play the other 3 teams in your pod. That leaves 6 conference games against the other 12 teams in the conference. Half. You would play everyone in 2 seasons. You would play everyone home-and-away in 4 seasons.

Why is that more complex?

• Fire 2

With pods you could also have the pod champs play a 4-team B1G playoff followed by a national 4-team playoff. Assuming 4 16-team conferences provides a pretty seamless postseason.

That's getting to complex in my opinion.

I think the POD's idea is just so we see more opponents more often rather than being more efficient. I like the 8 team divisions.

I disagree... I LOVE the idea of that.... Quite honestly, I LOVE the idea of adding another football game. If you were to go all the way....

3 Out of Conference Games

9 Conference Games

1 Pod Championships

1 Conference Championships

1 Semi-Final Playoffs

1 National Championship Game

16 games sounds great to me!

Play the pod championships on the same day in 2 neutral site stadiums.

• Fire 1

How about this:

We add Oklahoma and Houston? Is Houston on the academic list we are looking at?

Would be funny to leave Texas out in the cold.

No, Houston is not an AAU institution. But neither are we as of 2011. I'm not sure that is a deciding factor anymore, but even if it weren't, I doubt the B1G would consider Houston.

There are a lot of factors that Delaney had mentioned in the past about schools that would fit the "profile" he was looking for. I remember geography being one of them, but then he softened on that, leading us to speculate about several ACC schools. I think our "National Brand" and history was enough to forget the AAU thing. (even before we were dropped, we had been ranked at the bottom of the group for decades) I don't think a school like Houston really checks off enough boxes.

I think a lot of folks are underestimating how pervasive politics are for the states/schools involved. There is a reason Texas bankrupted the SWC and destroyed the Big XII.

Texas politics are the worst-version of Southern-politics. It's patient, pervasive, persistent, and completely selfish. While the people individually are not bad people, the organization is horribly myopic and self-centered. Athletically UT seems like a great addition but there is no containing UT's politics, damage, and greed. Getting in bed with UT requires sleeping with literally every person in TX.

I think the B1G will last longer and be happier w/o UT, honestly...

Yes, but understand the conferences are the ones holding the power this time, and not the states.

When the Big XII was formed, the SWC refugees and Big 8 were desperate for different reasons, though the SWC refugees' needs were more pressing and larger than the Big 8's needs. Because of that, the state of Texass was able to force Baylor on the conference and make those Texass schools a package deal.

Now, the conferences hold the cards, especially the B1G. They can walk away from the table if, for example, Oklahoma is saddled with propping up it's Special Needs brother in Stillwater. And it would be career suicide for anyone in the Oklahoma State Legislature to force Oklahoma to be tethered to (and eventually sink with) Okie Lite, as Oklahoma football is a money-maker for the state. Likewise for Texass, though they control Austin through their dirty oil money anyway.

This is *ALSO* another reason Kansas is an attractive pick-up for the B1G--less state legislature drama. We already know Kansas isn't tethered to KSU (see when Kansas was about to take a Big East invite before that conference collapsed), and the Kansas president even confirmed they're not tethered back in 2009/2010. Less drama, a great basketball pickup, and the KC market make Kansas more palatable.

Is Kansas a better pickup than Texass? F*** no, but if Texass tries to play hardball or the State Legislature of Texass tries to force more schools into the deal, the B1G is already making enough money and will already have an "IN" into North Texas via Oklahoma. They can pair Oklahoma with Kansas, and it will still be viewed as an excellent pickup by the B1G, and Texass can go back to wading around in its kiddie pool of a conference, or go out east to the Pac-12...where they'll probably allow Texass to keep Bevo TV.

• Fire 1

How about this:

We add Oklahoma and Houston? Is Houston on the academic list we are looking at?

Would be funny to leave Texas out in the cold.

No, Houston is not an AAU institution. But neither are we as of 2011. I'm not sure that is a deciding factor anymore, but even if it weren't, I doubt the B1G would consider Houston.

There are a lot of factors that Delaney had mentioned in the past about schools that would fit the "profile" he was looking for. I remember geography being one of them, but then he softened on that, leading us to speculate about several ACC schools. I think our "National Brand" and history was enough to forget the AAU thing. (even before we were dropped, we had been ranked at the bottom of the group for decades) I don't think a school like Houston really checks off enough boxes.

Guys--drop the AAU requirement. That got killed when the B1G brought us on, and remember--the B1G was already going to take Oklahoma as part of that five team deal way back when. Oklahoma isn't in the AAU. Nebraska isn't in the AAU. The AAU isn't a pre-requisite any longer.

As for Houston, it's a commuter school that's playing above it's station. As soon as Herman is gone, it will go back to being an also-ran. Additionally, other than the Houston TV market, there's nothing else appealing for Houston. It's not a realistic target for the B1G.

I would take OU-MU or OU-KU though.

Mizzery is a legitimate third option here if the B1G doesn't like KU. Not sure if they'd bite, considering they've got a comfy gig going on in the SEC right now. But the SEC has no GOR, so Mizzery is fair game.

Southwest Division:

Iowa

Nebraska

Kansas

Oklahoma

final weekend games: NU-OU (Thanksgiving Game), Iowa-KU(Another new rivalry for iowa. screw them anyway.)

Northwest Division:

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Illinois

final weekend games: UM-UW (Paul Bunyon's Axe, oldest rivalry game) , NW-Ill (Land of Lincoln game)

Central Division:

Michigan State

Michigan

Indiana

Ohio State

final weekend: Mich-OSU (The Game), MSU-UI (Old Brass Spittoon game)

East Division:

Purdue

Penn State

Maryland

Rutgers

final weekend:?

I could see Iowa-Illinois getting flipped, or Purdue-Indiana, but It would be hard to break up Mich State-Mich-OSU due to the rivalries.

• Fire 1