UT to B1G? According to this talks have happened..

From a Football standpoint:

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Wisconsin

Iowa

Minnesota

Northwestern

Illinois

Texas

That's a hell of a division right there.

That would be so awesome. The current big10 west is just so "meh". I hate it.

With rotation from the other side in a 9 game conference schedule, NU would get OSU/Mich or whoever as their 1st rotation 4 times out of 10 years.

I'd be ok with that.

Texas would likely have to start a wrestling program.

I would prefer OU and KU, but this would be an impressive league with Texas. If we took all 3 and move Purdue and say Minnesota? to the East, we could venture out and find another Eastern team like UConn, Virginia or NC state to balance it all out.

18 team league, 9 team divisions. 8 division games a year, 1 crossover game that rotates every year. This could work, I'm all for it if Texas bows down and admits they ruin everything they try to run.

lol, its never going to happen.

Where UT goes Baylor and Texas tech goes, the Texas legislature, which is filled with the latter two schools alums, won't have it any other way. So we won't get UT with out their garbage, and I suddenly don't think anyone want's Baylor anymore for obvious reasons, and TTU is once again mediocre.

To top it all off the idea of UT humbling its self from the position of controlling a power five conference to being just one of the guys and giving up their lucrative Bevo tv contract make no sense.

They like being top dog politically in the conference, they would have to give that up in the big 10 in exactly the same way we did.

The Big 12 is going to circle the drain the same way the Big East did, Texas will try to prop it up a little while longer but they ultimately leave for the SEC or PAC, the BIG I think is willing to take Oklahoma and KU happily if these schools want in, but UT would be to us what west Virginia is to the BIG XII.

So on many grounds, many I haven't even dove into, this simply wouldn't work. This is all more piss poor off season journalism.

Texass and Oklahoma have had discussions with the B1G and Pac-12, and the latter with the SEC as well. It's called doing due diligence, and it's necessary when you've got a cobbled together crapfest of a conference and you're the only two pieces holding that s***show together. Their leadership would be foolish not to.

Also, the B1G would take Texass in a heartbeat, but on their terms. Ohio State and Michigan aren't going to let Texass control things, just won't happen. And this move wouldn't occur until the tail end of the Bevo TV contract and/or the Big XII GOR is up (read: after 2020). The B1G can't repurpose Bevo TV into a second BTN network channel on account of it being with ESPN and not FOX Sports, and ESPN won't kill the contract, as they're beholden for the full remaining amount of the contract at that point. Texass would have to kill Bevo TV, though if the payout is significant with the new B1G TV deal, it may just be worth it for them.

As for Texass to the B1G...I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as our leadership were on their toes (read: no more AAU blindside bulls***) and the B1G leadership puts them in their proper place. Texass will always be vermin, but that doesn't mean the conference can't use their cache to their advantage--they just have to do it the right way.

Very good post.

No one in the Big 12 can leave until the GoR is up in 2025, unless they somehow vote to dissolve the conference before then.

And there's a good article on how GORs may be able to be broken and remain intact for other conferences, and why they may be difficult to enforce.

I believe this has been discussed before, but the wronged party must prove damages--if the contract payout for the conference doesn't change with the departure of the schools in question (which none of these contracts have), then it's hard to prove any damages to the original conference in having their team(s) leave.

But just saying, the conference may not need to dissolve or the GOR disbanded for OU and UT (or KS) to leave, especially if there's still a conference and the contract payouts remain the same.

If that's the case OkSt would likely be coming along to preserve Bedlem.

Not necessarily...Bedlam could still be preserved, but just as an OOC game scheduled in November. The B1G is going to start providing flexibility in scheduling conference games so they can A) work conference games earlier into the season (a la the SEC), and B), so non-con games (e.g. Michigan/Notre Dame) could be held later in the season, so if Oklahoma jumps on board, it doesn't mean they'd have to kill Bedlam if they still wanted it as a fall game.

Though I will say there will be a lot of pressure for OU/NU to become the Thanksgiving tilt it once was should OU join the conference. And rightfully so. :)

I'm not sold on geography being part of the equation. The money made by the tv rights and all that. Travel expenses are a non issue. Especially when we were shown geography wasn't in play for TCU and Boise when they were headed to the Big East before TCU switch to the Big12. Also WVA, clearly, geography wasn't considered when they joined the big12.

We're talking about bigger universities caring more than those less profitable schools about geography? I'm not buying it whatsoever. The monetary gain far outweighs conference softball travel distance.

The biggest obstacle (maybe not the biggest) UT has joining the big10 is starting a wrestling program. Big10 takes a very LARGE amount of pride in its wrestling. Though, not a money maker, it's still the largest known wrestling brand in the nation.

• Fire 1

I'm not sold on geography being part of the equation. The money made by the tv rights and all that. Travel expenses are a non issue. Especially when we were shown geography wasn't in play for TCU and Boise when they were headed to the Big East before TCU switch to the Big12. Also WVA, clearly, geography wasn't considered when they joined the big12.

We're talking about bigger universities caring more than those less profitable schools about geography? I'm not buying it whatsoever. The monetary gain far outweighs conference softball travel distance.

The biggest obstacle (maybe not the biggest) UT has joining the big10 is starting a wrestling program. Big10 takes a very LARGE amount of pride in its wrestling. Though, not a money maker, it's still the largest known wrestling brand in the nation.

I seriously doubt that Texass' lack of a specific non-revenue Olympic sport is going to break a deal with the B1G.

And let's not confuse desperation for indifference here. TCU and Boise State were headed to the Big East because of desperation to be taken seriously and have a seat at the BCS table, and not because the Big East was going to pay them enough to mitigate any concerns about additional travel expenses.

Now, Delaney himself has said that he wants the B1G to maintain a contiguous footprint back when we were brought on board. But I sincerely that, too, will keep Texass out of the B1G if they were willing to join up--the B1G would just try to find a 'moving buddy' for them, like Mizzery or Kansas or Oklahoma, so they weren't having to play all games so far away. So I do agree with you that geography likely isn't part of the equation here.

They have been talking about it on shaggy. It's in the realignment thread around page 1175 or so. One of the posters on there says he has good info that the UT President and the Chancellor are wanting to go B1G for academic reasons and for research money.

Personally, I would love for Texas to be in the B1G and my guess is that OU would come with them.

They have been talking about it on shaggy. It's in the realignment thread around page 1175 or so. One of the posters on there says he has good info that the UT President and the Chancellor are wanting to go B1G for academic reasons and for research money.

Personally, I would love for Texas to be in the B1G and my guess is that OU would come with them.

I must not have looked back far enough, I was posting in that thread yesterday.

I would take OU and UT. I would take OU and KU. I wouldn't take UT by itself or with a partner besides OU.